Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need help, engine kills oil
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Hamster666
Hi, everyone, I got a 95 ST 1.8L, everything stock, I have a question, how come my engine always eats up motor oil?? I put in 4 qts of motor oil in, and after 2,500 to 3000 miles when I change oil again, only about 1 qt left in the tank? anyone know what's the reason? how much cost to fix it? can I do it myself?? thanx to allk~
recneps
do a compression check but its probably your piston rings, or some gasket. how many miles are on the car? and any oil where on the ground where you park it.
Hamster666
my babie just hit 130k, it's not oil leak, is it hard to do the rings? and thanx for the info, may need more... biggrin.gif
recneps
rings arnt that hard and its not that expensive but your talking about draing all the fluids and disassembling a whole lot of stuff then i think your gonna have to set back your timing and all that stuff. probably should be left up to the pros. its a nice weekend project ive never done mine, although i need too.
Celica2085TA
lol i go through a quart everyother week. my car eats oil like candy biggrin.gif
recneps
I put in 4 qts of motor oil in, and after 2,500 to 3000 miles when I change oil again, only about 1 qt left in the tank?

anyways if theres only like 1 qt left in the tank you should put some in between changes.
Magic
There are many reasons that you probably loosing oil...how do you hear your engine??Healthy??Smoke???oil leak from the block??From the gasket??Do you hear rattle??
Defgeph
you are burning oil. valves arent seating right, rings could be shot. valve seals are rotted. it could be a a number of different things. you have to pull the head and take a look around.

Coomer
And if you've been driving it around for long with around 1 quart of oil, chances are that substantial damage has been done to the engine. frown.gif
Kwanza26
QUOTE (recneps @ Sep 28, 2004 - 6:26 PM)
rings arnt that hard and its not that expensive but your talking about draing all the fluids and disassembling a whole lot of stuff then i think your gonna have to set back your timing and all that stuff. probably should be left up to the pros. its a nice weekend project ive never done mine, although i need too.

I wouldn't reccomend a block tear down unless you've done it before, or have someone with experience to guide you. Messing up can mean boom... and it's really easy to mess up.

Anyways... you better get your engine fixed. Burning/leaking that much oil is gonna cause massive failure sooner or later...
zipstrips
this happened to me the 1st time around. i spun a bearing as a result. the problem is more than likely in the head somewhere... odd part was i never saw smoke out of my tail pipe or anything.. ran just as hard and what not too...
Dickster223
A compression check will not tell you any thing because oil rings are below your compression rings. And most of all and I would almost put money on it that it is your valve seals. and I actually called a machine shop today b/c my car is doing the same thing and it was going to be around 450-500 just to have the valves done and p&p and open up some pockets. your prolly lookin at 250-300 in labor too so grand total is under 800. Good Luck
Hamster666
thanx to all the replies, man... I think I better off feeding her a bottle every month than get her fixed($800~!!!). I mean, if I got that much of money, I rather get in line for the C-1 replica hood group buy... but I really appreciate every comments here, as at least I know why she is "eating" more than the other gurls... biggrin.gif
Kwanza26
QUOTE (Hamster666 @ Sep 29, 2004 - 1:07 AM)
thanx to all the replies, man... I think I better off feeding her a bottle every month than get her fixed($800~!!!). I mean, if I got that much of money, I rather get in line for the C-1 replica hood group buy... but I really appreciate every comments here, as at least I know why she is "eating" more than the other gurls... biggrin.gif

Weigh the odds man...

Fix bad motor... C-1 Hood... bad motor... C-1 Hood...

That hood will do you no good if your car is dead... and when it starts eating as much oil as you say... it's gonna go soon...

I'd just replace the engine... you can probably find a used low mileage 7AFE for under 400.00
shadycrew31
my engine does the same stuff. im starting to get mad i just keep putting more oil in. i like to think my engine as a rotory smile.gif... there alyways throwing oil in. it just means were speacial. anyway i see no smok, no nothing. head seems fine. i think its leaking somewhere ill check again though. blah....... silly 7a's cant learn when to respect there owner.
Hamster666
thanx for all the replies... specially for defgeph, long time no see, hehehee.... anyways, engine songs normal, no colorful smokes(no black or blue), just eats motor oil, anyone knows the cause?
boosted_K2
lol whats the point of a C-one hood when the motor dies?
bufferdan
MY car uses a good amount of oil also...94ST with 162k. I dont care though. Oil is cheap. I put like half a qt every 1000miles and keep pimpin. Mine doesnt smoke or leak either...why worry?? Drive it till it dies then spend the money on a rebuild or new motor..you can probably still get another 100k miles out of it as long as you have oil in the engine. .. Its a toyota!
Hamster666
well, you know, it's better to have the "gurl" perfect or near perfect, that's my pt of view of cuz...
sotal
I recently got a 1996 Celica 1.8ST 7AFE, and it seems to use oil up as well, but I can't work out where it is going.

I live in UK and we don't have quarts of oil we have litres and it's using about 1 litre for every thousand miles that I do. I top it up once a week to ensure the level never drops below half way.

There is no smoke ever, I have tried driving hard in 3rd then letting off the accelerator then going straight back to driving hard and I get no smoke. The spark plugs are also perfectly normal. The coolant is also normal and looks fine. I have checked all over and can't find any oil leaks any where.

Is it normal to not notice anything? I'm happy just topping it up but I am worried that it will fail it's emmissions test on it's next MOT, and I am also worried that it is damaging the catalytic convertor.

The car runs great, performs well (better than expected) and is lovely and smooth to drive, the engine sounds great and is so smooth that you can barely tell the car is running when you stop at lights.

Any ideas anyone?

cheers
Sev408
QUOTE (shadycrew31 @ Sep 29, 2004 - 8:38 AM)
i like to think my engine as a rotory

wow, dont ever say that again. they are two completely completely different engines which in no way are alike.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.