Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the mr2 tranny
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
OrbitalGT95
ok guys..if i do the auto to 5spd conversion, then within the year im gonna wanna drop the 3S in. Im not gonna go cheap..im gonna get the turbo mr2 tranny for the 3s, but here's my question..can the Mr2 tranny bolt upto the 7a? I plan on doing the conversion first and i really didn't want to do the conversion and swap at the same time, but if it save me money in the long run then i guess i have to...thanks guys biggrin.gif
recneps
nope the mr2 tranny (forgot the model number) will not bolt up the the 7a.
Consynx
exactly, but if you are going that route do what i plan to do in like 2 yrs
buy a rear cut of a MR2 93+ so that u get tranny w/ LSD and the motor
i hear there is more work to the swap then, but at least you're somewhat killing 2 birds... smile.gif
Mr2swift
If you want to get a tranny for the 7a engine, then get the late model Ae101 4agze tranny. It will bolt up to the 7a block no problem and is robust enough to handle anything you throw at it. Not to mention it is a front wheel drive tranny so no shifter linkage modification and they come stock with Lsd. This transmission is a bit smaller version of the Mr2 transmission, but built for the A series block. So rule of thumb on this forum should be 7a get the Ae101 trans and 5s get the Mr2 trans or the beams trans which is very hard to get. I have a few Mr2 Lsd transmissions as well as Ae101 4agze transmissions in stock so if you or anyone else is interested then let me know.

Ron (909) 283-3778
Motors Unlimited
nik
QUOTE (Mr2swift @ Oct 1, 2004 - 10:56 AM)
If you want to get a tranny for the 7a engine, then get the late model Ae101 4agze tranny. It will bolt up to the 7a block no problem and is robust enough to handle anything you throw at it. Not to mention it is a front wheel drive tranny so no shifter linkage modification and they come stock with Lsd. This transmission is a bit smaller version of the Mr2 transmission, but built for the A series block. So rule of thumb on this forum should be 7a get the Ae101 trans and 5s get the Mr2 trans or the beams trans which is very hard to get. I have a few Mr2 Lsd transmissions as well as Ae101 4agze transmissions in stock so if you or anyone else is interested then let me know.

Ron (909) 283-3778
Motors Unlimited

how much for a 4agze trans with lsd? shipped to 83815 also can i use 4agze axels?
jgreening

I am not an expert on the 7A motors and trannies but orbital indicated that he was planning to go with a 3s swap. I would assume that if the 4agze tranny bolts up to the 7a, and the 3sgte will not bolt up to the 7a tranny, then the 4agze tranny should not logically bolt up to the 3sgte.
Kwanza26
QUOTE (nik @ Oct 1, 2004 - 6:40 PM)
QUOTE (Mr2swift @ Oct 1, 2004 - 10:56 AM)

Ron (909) 283-3778
Motors Unlimited

how much for a 4agze trans with lsd? shipped to 83815 also can i use 4agze axels?

Like with the MR2 turbo trannies, i believe you'll have to use the inner shafts from the AE101 4AGZ tranny and the outer shafts from the your Celica to get the fitment correct. I don't know if the axles themselves are sized correctly or at least, close enough to bolt up to the Celica. I guess MR2swift may be able to answer that, but if you want a 4AGZE tranny cheap, hang around or ask at club4ag.com. There was one that was selling for only 50.00+ shipping a while ago.
nik
how hard do you think this tranny swap would be Kwanza26?
and sorry for high jacking this thread wink.gif
Kwanza26
QUOTE (nik @ Oct 1, 2004 - 9:27 PM)
how hard do you think this tranny swap would be Kwanza26?
and sorry for high jacking this thread wink.gif

Tranny should bolt up... more or less. I think the tranny mout is also slightly different (should ask myzeneye sp?)... but more or less... it should work without much trouble. The only problem I see, the gearing will be a bit funky for a 7AFTE...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.