Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i have an auto and i have questions
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
shadycrew31
so i need a bad ass auto. with bad ass axels. im going to be putting in a 7afte on steriods, so i need help. i dont want to install a manual tranny. its to much work and to much money. is there any good axels that will bolt up with the 7a. and is there any diehard autos that will bolt up. please help me!!!!!!!!. confused.gif confused.gif confused.gif
recneps
your best bet is probably going to be a 4agze auto tranny. and your probably gonna have to go custom for the axels or maybe a hybrid style.
slipgun
from what ive heared the 7afte will run beautifuly on stock auto tranny up to 8 psi... and over that will blow your engine.
lagos
you can get new axels at carquest.
shadycrew31
umm lagos are they good stong axels though. or just replacement .and im going to have a 7agte (maybe a z in there to) so the 7afe auto wont hack it.
OOBE
QUOTE (slipgun @ Oct 4, 2004 - 5:02 PM)
from what ive heared the 7afte will run beautifuly on stock auto tranny up to 8 psi... and over that will blow your engine.

Whoever said that doesn't know what he's talking about and probably doesn't even own a 7A-FTE and he just heard it from somebody else. It's a filthy vicious circle. My tranny holds up fine and shifts as good as when the car was stock and I run 12 PSI with stock injectors trying to kill the engine.
Consynx
lol
and it just wont die, huh?

smile.gif
shadycrew31
hmm ok but do you run it like regular use. or do you road course it. when i say road course i mean tight turns doing 60 on a 25 mph turn, well down****ting it into second so you get more tourque. then ****ing it back up to drive and punching as you get out of the turn??? casue thats the kind of tranny i need and my engine is going to be a 7 a g z t e. so i need a very strong tranny.
nik
so your twincharging the motor meaning 7af "t" "z"e the t being turbo and the z being a supercharger i would just turbo it might look into 4agze tranny with lsd(watch i'm still researching) see if those axels from the 4agze will work.
snadman
He's going to have the first ever 7agtze...hmmm good luck! (4age head swap, custom turbo, and supercharge???...neat...uhhhhh)

Sorry but yeah. I think you should be fine with your tranny. Maybe have a tranny shop that is reputable take it apart and replace anything that needs replacing...and then get a high performance torque converter that has a higher stall rate so you can get good launches at around 3500rpm so you got some spool when you're launching it. Other than that...just keep it around 8-10 psi, 8for daily driving 10 at the track. Make sure it's intercooled...and you should be golden. I think 97sccelica would be the best to ask about this because he turbo'd his automatic ST with some success until I think he blew it up. He could probably tell you where he went wrong and you can go from there. He has always said he can be asked about that stuff so ask him.
Defgeph
The 7afe tranny is very solid. Like mentioned above look into the 4agze tranny. Unless you dump alot of money into a turbo 7a, you prolly wont hurt the axles.

DEF
shadycrew31
yea its goin to be a very custom setup. like some other people said the supercharger will give me the low end tourque us 4 cylinders lack. and the turbo wil the keep the beast alive, well in the high gears/revs.
Defgeph
umm.. how much money you plan on spending ?
shadycrew31
as much as it takes. over 1 yr buying little random things i should be fine. like 600 a month on average for parts is what im goin to set aside. i wish my parents were rich id just have it all now.
djspray
Somewhat related...

I'm planning on a 3S swap in an auto GT, and have been told by virtually everyone to do a manual swap. As much as I like the idea, I think that I could get by with an auto just fine. Will the axels for a GT hold that kind of power? (I'm looking at having the tranny built, and modding no higher than 300hp)
shadycrew31
nah the gt ones will break were gonna need to hybrid our axels. and im going to try an. fit a 4age auto tranny.
Drocay
djspray

Enthusiast

From West Lafayette, IN
Member Since Aug 22, '04

Somewhat related...

I'm planning on a 3S swap in an auto GT, and have been told by virtually everyone to do a manual swap. As much as I like the idea, I think that I could get by with an auto just fine. Will the axels for a GT hold that kind of power? (I'm looking at having the tranny built, and modding no higher than 300hp)

Okay the only problem i see other than that the trannie might be week is that u need a ecu to run it.

shadycrew31  Posted on Oct 6, 2004 - 4:21 PM
  nah the gt ones will break were gonna need to hybrid our axels. and im going to try an. fit a 4age auto tranny.

Okay this wont work at all because he's got a gt that a S series motor not an A.

Kwanza26
Am I the only one chuckling while reading all of this? heheheh...
97sccelica
QUOTE (Kwanza26 @ Oct 6, 2004 - 2:53 PM)
Am I the only one chuckling while reading all of this? heheheh...

no, youre not

$600 a month over 12 months?

well, www.levelten.com they can sell you tranny controlers, shift kits and performance torque converters, or sel you a "indestructible" tranny for around $3k

so thats about half your budget there and that still leaves you with the need of a tranny cooler(if you plan to abuse it like you say you will) or stronger axles or even a completely custom lsd.

and with $4200 remaining, you wont get it running.

you will need a complete 4agze to get the SC, the electronics and head. then you need a good set of internals, among a crap load or other things, expensive things like an ems, a sc to turbo switch over system, intercooler, piping, etc.

it would take atleast 10k, and thats if you do all the labor yourself.
djspray
Screw it, I'm doing a manual conversion, I'll just plan on my celly being down for a bit longer...
FallenHero
Umm, game, set, match.

yea, you don't need the supercharger and G head. The 7a head is actually all you would need if you aren't going to run Mass boost levels. Plus, the turbo size for a 7a (T-3ish) gives you plenty of boost at low RPM. Trust me, with the turbo you will spin your tires till you want to stop. there is no reason to SC it. that's just going to cause LOADS of stress on your system.

Just turbo. if you want hella power, 500 will install NICE Arias pistons. With That set up you could boost 12-14 psi no problem as long as the tuning was right.

So, we could both have ten grand: you could go 7agtze and I coud go 7afte built to hell and I (with my 12+ psi) would destroy you on a road course and annialate you on the 4th. Facts are facts. they might not seem near as exotic, but hey, if it's your thing, go for it. But if it's about power, build the 7afe and Tcharge it

Here you have to ask yourself. Do I want a 200whp 7a running 14's or a 3rd gen 3sgte built with 300+hp running 13's?

you decide.

EDIT: page 2 owned.gif
Sev408
how about with all that damn money instead of destroying a 7a just drop a 3s in and be happy.

why does everyone have to make things so damn difficult, this thread is a joke.
shadycrew31
first of all the 7afe is still a fe head. the ge is a true twin design. so no you wouldnt smoke me cause once you reach full boost your head will crack and so wil your intake manifold. and i dont need a s/c your right but it would be cool. anyway when i started this thread i wasnt looking to compete or show off i just wanted know if it was posible. oh and one more thing there no 7afe internals that will achive 12 psi for daily use. sorry yoru gonna ahve to go ge. thanks guys wish me luck.
Kwanza26
QUOTE (shadycrew31 @ Oct 7, 2004 - 2:51 AM)
first of all the 7afe is still a fe head. the ge is a true twin design. so no you wouldnt smoke me cause once you reach full boost your head will crack and so wil your intake manifold. and i dont need a s/c your right but it would be cool. anyway when i started this thread i wasnt looking to compete or show off i just wanted know if it was posible. oh and one more thing there no 7afe internals that will achive 12 psi for daily use. sorry yoru gonna ahve to go ge. thanks guys wish me luck.

You know, you shouldn't talk the talk unless you can walk the walk. Opening your mouth only proves you know less and less...

Do you even know what's involved in a head swap? These debates are just getting silly.
FallenHero
QUOTE (shadycrew31 @ Oct 6, 2004 - 7:51 PM)

Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to be adversarial, I am just stating facts. Custom rods and custom pistons will run about $500 eachish depending on where you get them. they will Easily take 12psi if they get proper fuel mixture. The crank can be shot peened or cryo treated, and then it will Easily handle 12 psi. HKS piston rings... performance bearings...(don't remember where to find them off hand, but they are out there. HKS or Blitz head gasket... that, in conjunction with the Iron block 7a and that is a Solid 7a short block. The head is simply a grand or so machine work and you have easy 12+psi. when you pop the hood it won't be as pretty as a 7age, but hey, it's fast as whoa
shadycrew31
ehh im done. im just gonna rig a mr2 tranny and turn it into a rear wheel drive... late. and yes i do know whats involved with a head swap. ive been reading and searching for 1 yr now. i know you own every toyota kwanza. but just because i dont go in depth with my posts. doesnt mean i dont know what im talking about.
Kwanza26
QUOTE (shadycrew31 @ Oct 7, 2004 - 3:04 AM)
ehh im done. im just gonna rig a mr2 tranny and turn it into a rear wheel drive... late. and yes i do know whats involved with a head swap. ive been reading and searching for 1 yr now. i know you own every toyota kwanza. but just because i dont go in depth with my posts. doesnt mean i dont know what im talking about.

PROOF that you know NOTHING. MR2 tranny and go RWD... LOL... the MR2 uses a FWD tranny... rolleyes.gif

Honestly now... I try to be nice and stuff... but I'm just not as nice as some of the other guys when people start talking trash.
shadycrew31
hmm lets read again, shall we??? im getting a mr2 tranny.......and turn it into a rear wheel drive....... turn meaning change. and your never nice. even if someone asks a simple question..your an ass.
1bwilson
He's direct. Thats what alot of people around here need. There are many dreamers around here [rollseyes/] and he does what it takes to keep people from killing themselves. Everyone that has posted in this thread so far has tried to re-direct you cause you seem to want it all..... Bad ass auto, Twin charge, rear wheel drive........Decide damnit.
FallenHero
easy gang. lets not bash like celica.net.

if you want to go RWD, it would probably be easier to start with a JDM 3sgte altezza tranny (RWD tranny) then trying to have everything custom built. And also, here is hoping you have a hatch back!
nik
ok IMPO with the 7afe engine one path you can go rebuild the 7afe internals coated etc put a T-3 or t3-t4 with all the little goodies bigger injector, fuel computer ,fuel rail, FPR, pump ,etc. Then head work p&p grind the shafts,etc.
then you should have 250whp at 12-14 psi daily driver/weekend drag car or what ever running. i think anything over 250-300 is a waste on a FF car.One last thing all this will not be cheap and dont get that cheap stuff get the good products the first time. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif ok i'm done
FallenHero
QUOTE (nik @ Oct 7, 2004 - 7:46 AM)
ok IMPO with the 7afe engine one path you can go rebuild the 7afe internals coated etc put a T-3 or t3-t4 with all the little goodies bigger injector, fuel computer ,fuel rail, FPR, pump ,etc. Then head work p&p grind the shafts,etc.
then you should have 250whp at 12-14 psi daily driver/weekend drag car or what ever running. i think anything over 250-300 is a waste on a FF car.One last thing all this will not be cheap and dont get that cheap stuff get the good products the first time. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif ok i'm done

and keep in mind this could probably be done with about 5k instead of ten.
boosted_K2
QUOTE (shadycrew31 @ Oct 7, 2004 - 2:03 AM)
hmm lets read again, shall we??? im getting a mr2 tranny.......and turn it into a rear wheel drive....... turn meaning change. and your never nice. even if someone asks a simple question..your an ass.

the MR2 tranny doesnt work with a driveshaft, the E-153 mounts transversely, parallel to a transverse motor so the drive axles are right below the engine. reguardless the E-153 wont bolt to a 7A motor without some very expensive machining of adaptor plates.

the altezza never had a 3sgte in it, i believe it was only a 3sge or a 3sfe for the base model, then they used the 2jz for their higher end. and no, 10k is much more realistic than 5k. unless you do all the work yourself.

1bwilson
Why not stay FWD and be the first to use a LSD? Its still something never before done.
shadycrew31
thanks boosted. i had read somewhere that you could do that, oh well. and i will be doing all the work myself, i trust no one under my hood. and at this point my baby is goin rwd. its just goin to happen i dont care how but it is. and it would be a total of 7,600 that i could save. so once again im going to have a lot of work cut out. but it will be well worth it in the end.
Sev408
you trust nobody but yet you dont know anything about your car??

i belive its time for you too rethink your dreams little one.

and if you still think you can go RWD then you might as well buy a rear clip from a GT4 because thats about the only way its gonna happen.

and dont plan on driving your car withiin the next year either.
shadycrew31
well that was the idea but it wont take a year to do it. but im done with discussing these topics. i will post next year when i have a rwd 7agte untile then goodbye.
FallenHero
if you are going to use the 7a then you could re-build a AE86 tranny and use it. From there the rest is basically knowing what goes where. if you are expecting 200+hp though, you had better have some hella strong welds.
Kwanza26
I believe the W series trannies bolt up to the S series motors. W series trannies can be found on old-school RWD Celicas, Supras, and Trucks.

Now I'll ask... do you know what's involved in doing a rear wheel drive swap? I could just explain in detail.... but I've already done that before...
shadycrew31
yea me and some 5th gens are all doing rwd drive swaps. its gonna be a pain.. but i mean how many rwd 6th gens have you seen. so yea its gonan be long and boring. but at least its worth it in the end.
FallenHero
QUOTE (shadycrew31 @ Oct 8, 2004 - 2:28 AM)
yea me and some 5th gens are all doing rwd drive swaps. its gonna be a pain.. but i mean how many rwd 6th gens have you seen. so yea its gonan be long and boring. but at least its worth it in the end.

mathmatical yes, boring...? I don't think so. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.