Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter question
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
slowerthanu
hi. ive been looking at the board for a while but never posted anything till now, here goes.

sometimes when i go to start my car (stock 94 celica st), instead of turning over it just like clicks. itll do it a few times then start just fine. sometimes it will start to turn over then stop, as if the battery is about dead. however, i know this isnt the case because i replaced it first (it tested "weak" on my tester so i thought just maybe...but no luck). the terminals arent dirty/corroded. it acts as though there is a loose connection or as i said, the battery is dieing. also, it seems to do it less when its warmer, in the morning when its still a little chilly outside its way worse. it never does it just after its been running. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
nik
go get your starter and alternator checked
toyotatech3
its the starter contacts. easy to replace! remove the starter and the solonoid cover replace one contact and then the other.then buff the plunger with a wire brush and put it back together.
presure2
yup, starter..had the same problem...have lifetime warranty for the one thats in there, so i just pulled it, and returned it for a new one.. wink.gif
Irishflame27
happens all the time, a new starter will fix it, and if not maybe the alternator needs to be replaced
toyotatech3
u don't need a new alternator and u don't need to spend the money on a new starter, the contacts only cost about two bucks each. iv'e done this to hundreds of toyota's including my celica.
slowerthanu
thanks, do i have to get the contacts from like a toyota dealer? or is there a website i can order from?

i could really use a good oem celica parts website because i also need the washer fluid reservoir and possibly pump (i noticed when i tried to put in washer fluid that it just runs right out onto the ground lol) the pipe extends into nothingness, it was missing when i got the car a few months ago and ive been putting it off, but with winter coming i need to fix it for ice melting purposes.

thanks again
toyotatech3
u could them from a toyota dealer but you will pay a little more or you could go to any shop that rebuilds toyota starters and they could prob get u the contacts
62-1celi
you well have to change the starter sooner or later but if at one point it still clicks just get a stick and hit the starter.....not to hard just be nice
CheesyLobster
If that doesnt fix it, you could have some faulty wiring that is causing same resistance and draining your battery.
slowerthanu
i have electrical testers. any ideas on how to test that? like voltage i SHOULD have at the starter when i crank it? thatd be 12 right? suppose i could check the alternator by checking the voltage from the battery while its running? should be about 13.5v if charging correctly right? oh and im not saying that voltage = resistance i know theyre not the same wink.gif just saying some stuff (i think) i know how to check. i have no clue what the resistance should be.
toyotatech3
u should have 12 volts at the starter allways and 12 volts at the s terminal on the starter when u crank it. there be very little if any resistance from ur battery cables or the starter contacts. and should be 14 to 14.5 volts when charging
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.