Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what the hell is that?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
recneps
so yeah ive been looking at some celica pictures and ive noticed people putting some kinda box **** on their intake. and i though it was a "boost leak finder thingy" but ive seen it on n/a cars.

heres a pictures of one.

user posted image

what the hell is that?
Mynzeyes
that's an AFM(air flow meter). the stock celica engines(7AFE and 5SFE) are MAP, and therefore do not have that box. that is a silvertop 4AGE, so it has a different intake sensing mechanism, as do most 3SGTEs. smile.gif.

it aids nothing, it's just a different sensor.
Andason
QUOTE (recneps @ Oct 10, 2004 - 5:46 PM)
so yeah ive been looking at some celica pictures and ive noticed people putting some kinda box **** on their intake. and i though it was a "boost leak finder thingy" but ive seen it on n/a cars.

heres a pictures of one.

user posted image

what the hell is that?

whos ghetto ride is that?

jp coom
Mike
I always thought it was something that prevents moisture from getting sucked in to the combustion chamber.. apparently not tho
ah well smile.gif
Kwanza26
IMO... it's the worst thing Toyota did to the Silvertop 4AGs. If you think about it, the engine has ITBs (individual throttle bodies), 3 intake valves per cylinder, VVT on the intake side, it's designed purely to breathe in the high rpms... BUT, toyota goes ahead and underminds those beautiful things about the silvertop 4AG and throws an AFM on it. Pretty dumb.

As mynzeyes says... it's just a sensor. It reads intake temp, velocity, density, vaccum, and some other stuff. It's a major sensor that can throw all sorts of stuff out of whack... LOTS of cars utilize that sensor.
boosted_K2
AFM sensors suck, its the biggest restriction on the entire system (atleast on mine), if i end up keeping the MR2 im DEFINATLY getting a hydra-nemesis EMS and converting to MAP sensor.
recneps
is it possible to map a car with a afm.

for example map a silvertop and run the ITBs open?
boosted_K2
you have to change the structure of the ECU, or have a conversion divice to transform the MAP signal to one that the factory ECU can read... best way to do it is just get a Standalone EMS, which you just press a button on the screen and it reads either AFM or MAP
shid
Boosted.. or someone; could you tell us how each system works; and what the difference is in airflow? IE, why does it matter so much; whats inside those boxes? whats inside our MAPs?
Kwanza26
MAPs read vaccum and and send out voltage signals which are all interpreted by the ECU. MAP equipped vehicles usually also have other sensors, such as IAT and ICV, and others. The AFM can do all of that and then some. To do a conversion, you'll need a different ECU that can read and interpret the MAP signals, in the 3SGTE's case, probably an ST205 ECU or something. You'll also need the above mentioned sensors. From there, you repin and rewire accordingly to match the ECU.

As for the AFM, it literally has a little door on the inside that flaps. The flapping triggers different voltage signals and such to the ECU. The AFM can also measure temp, density, vaccum, and other things... but it reduces the overall intake in high-powered vehicles.
YellowTwo
QUOTE (Kwanza26 @ Oct 10, 2004 - 6:39 PM)
but it reduces the overall intake in high-powered vehicles.

Is that because the "door" is restricting airflow?
boosted_K2
yes, but the overall dimensions where that flapper gate is at is very small compared to the rest of the system, its definatly the biggest bottleneck in the 3sgtes air system (baring you have already gutted the cats or used a downpipe and midpipe).
boosted_K2
QUOTE (Kwanza26 @ Oct 10, 2004 - 8:39 PM)
MAPs read vaccum and and send out voltage signals which are all interpreted by the ECU. MAP equipped vehicles usually also have other sensors, such as IAT and ICV, and others. The AFM can do all of that and then some. To do a conversion, you'll need a different ECU that can read and interpret the MAP signals, in the 3SGTE's case, probably an ST205 ECU or something. You'll also need the above mentioned sensors. From there, you repin and rewire accordingly to match the ECU.

As for the AFM, it literally has a little door on the inside that flaps. The flapping triggers different voltage signals and such to the ECU. The AFM can also measure temp, density, vaccum, and other things... but it reduces the overall intake in high-powered vehicles.

yupp, what i like about the hydra-nemisis EMS kit for the MR2 (could also be used in a celica) is it includes all the sensors needed to convert away from the AFM system. or you could use a ST205 ECU as kwanza said, but you would need to re-pin the ECU and basically do the wiring yourself, which youd end up doing anyways on the swap. my feeling is if you are going to spend the time/money to do a full ST205 3sgte swap, you might as well drop the extra grand to get a fully tunable EMS.
jgreening
My biggest "regret" of the swap is that I didn't go all the way with a EMS and an upgraded turbo. The 3sgte swap definitely gives you noticable performance gains that are nothing to sneeze at. However, I find myself wanting more....ahh, the addicting nature of power....
blackbullet
the sorry thing about those sensor thingy is that if you leave it open you car wouldnt start...I've seen that happen on a cressida... and other toyotas.....
Magic
I think you are talking about the Air Flow Meter.JDM Celicas has this installed also.Its a sensor helping the ECU to understand the availability/status of the air flow. smile.gif
lagos
QUOTE (jgreening @ Oct 11, 2004 - 7:49 AM)
My biggest "regret" of the swap is that I didn't go all the way with a EMS and an upgraded turbo. The 3sgte swap definitely gives you noticable performance gains that are nothing to sneeze at. However, I find myself wanting more....ahh, the addicting nature of power....

yeah i know what you mean.

but, the great thing is that you now have a great platform to start off with.

get some exhaust heat wrap and put it on the IC piping in your engine bay. that will make everything run better cause you pipes are not heatsoaking. then get a boost controller, a 3in down pipe and full exhaust, etc etc etc. remember, you dont have an NA car anymore. now there are tons of thing to do to make more power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.