Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UNDERDRIVE PULLEY
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Blakout16
ok, i searched old posts and the most i can get out of it is, that i replaces the main crank shaft and creating 30%-40% acceleration boost, but thats all lol. i need to know a est. on price and where to buy and if i should or not. im working into someday boostin the 7afe. (yes most ppl are like... dude ur dumb 3sgte!) but i simply cannot afford that all at once and... insurance policy doesnt cover it. they will drop me if i do. (oh and also some pictures) and maybe a how-to? that'd be cool
Hanyo
i think the average price is around 150-175 ish.. dont hold me to that.

to install it you will need an impact air wrench to take off the nut that holds the crank pully to the crank. (this is the hard part because its on there good). after that i assume you go abouts re-installing what you took off.

I have some questions to bring up also.. so if someone who has installed one can help answer this topic more thoroughly.

I know the under driven pully will affect the acessories such as powersteering and airconditioning. But how much harder is the steering after it is installed? How much does it affect the A/c?
Is there a need for new shorter belts?
if you dont drive the car hard. (like keep the rpm below 3K) will your battery die? (short trips? Highway?)

recneps
i think the average price is around 150-175 ish.. dont hold me to that.

to install it you will need an impact air wrench to take off the nut that holds the crank pully to the crank. (this is the hard part because its on there good). after that i assume you go abouts re-installing what you took off.

I have some questions to bring up also.. so if someone who has installed one can help answer this topic more thoroughly.

I know the under driven pully will affect the acessories such as powersteering and airconditioning. But how much harder is the steering after it is installed? How much does it affect the A/c?
Is there a need for new shorter belts?
if you dont drive the car hard. (like keep the rpm below 3K) will your battery die? (short trips? Highway?)

i had mine on for about a month and didnt notice any differences after installing. my battery didnt die and my steering didnt tighten up or anything. and i didnt notice any difference in acceleration.

oh and you are going to need a new size belt. yiour pully will come with a little slip that says the size you need then its right down to the auto parts store. i put mine on in about an hour.

that i replaces the main crank shaft and creating 30%-40% acceleration boost

it DOES NOT replace the main crankshaft jus the accessories pully. maybe your thinking about gt3 when you can buy the carbon fiber drive shaft and it increases acceleration. but not in the real world.

i feel confident ill put it on my next celi. but if i had a chance not to buy it the first time i wouldnt, i didnt notice that big of a difference. you could just take out your ac all together.
ghostdog
yeah it doesn't boost the acceleration it merely spins the accesories 30-40% slower, thereby eliminating some of that parasitic loss. also I believe the asp pulley goes for about 100 dollars.
nik
i have asp UP i dont know if it help because it went on with my turbo kit
turboinduction
Underdrive pulleys (crankshaft pulleys) dont increase accel. But, rather just free up some lost HP in the accessories. On my Eclipse, my crank pulley freed up about 7 HP, mainly because the stock one was VERY heavy and very large.

Now for the Little Billys out there, let me explain. My stock HP was 210. That crank pulley added 7 HP. My HP after the pulley was STILL 210. NOT 217. The crank pully lets you get more HP to the ground, not the Flywheel. Just for clarification.

-Ti
turboinduction
3) "How do Unorthodox Racing pulleys give me more power?"

Weight loss is the most critical factor in making, or more accurately, relesing Horsepower! Each pound of weight taken off the engines rotating assembly is worth approximately 2.7HP and the figure increases dramatically with forced induction, nitrous, VTEC and increased RPM's. Only 15-20% of the gains seen from our pulleys comes from the underdriving. The diameter of each of our crank pulleys is reduced up to 20%. We tailor the exact amount of underdrive to each vehicle based on factory specified accessory performance. We fully maintain all accessory output minimums like air conditioning efficiency, power steering feel, and voltage (minimum allowable voltage 12v) even at idle with everything electrical on in the car. There are no adverse effects from using any of our pulley versions. Bolt them on and forget about them, then just follow your vehicles normal maintenance schedule.

Via Unorthodox Racing.

-Ti
thedevilmaycrie
hmm im gonna istall mine this weekend ill tel lyou how it goes but i dont know if it will help you guys out i have a 3sgte

-DMC
RedSunCelica
QUOTE (thedevilmaycrie @ Nov 3, 2004 - 10:26 AM)
hmm im gonna istall mine this weekend ill tel lyou how it goes but i dont know if it will help you guys out i have a 3sgte

-DMC

hey i wanna see what the difference does. need any help give me a call.
shadycrew31
umm yes a carbon drive shaft is for rwd drive only..... anyway pulleys help out alot. if you replace all 3 you then need to pick your engine so its kinda not worth it. but if you only doin 1 dont bother save the money.
Kwanza26
I don't see it doing much for the 5SFE because of that motor's design. The main thing the UD Pulley does is reduce stress reduction in the crank. That does wonders for a shorter stroke engine (7AFE)... but not so much for one with a tall stroke (5SFE). On my ST... it was the best mod I did IMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.