Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cold Air
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
The__J__Factor
Ok guys i know CAI kits are supposed to be great, im not dissin them or anything, i will get one like next week...

but wut makes them so much better then the stock intake, since the piping goes to the same place and passes the same areas, wut makes it better?
Hanyo
It louder..

Blakout16
yeah... sadly its for sound and looks. with very little hp plus.
Fox-N-It2
The colder the air is the more dense it is thus more air can flow into your cylinders possibly making more power.
CheesyLobster
Also, less restrictive filter, and a more dirrect path to the throttle body.
Supersprynt
an intake in general allows for more air into the system, a cold air intake simply gets colder air than a short ram intake.
Fox said it before, cold air is more dense so you have a bigger and better explosion.
Junior
since the piping goes to the same place and passes the same areas, wut makes it better?

It doesn't go to the same place and passes the same area. A CAI goes to a lower position, closer to the ground where the air is cooler.
Hanyo
it all depends on where you run the pipe.. some people run it into the driver side fender where the stock air box gets its air..

the stock air boxes are not that restrictive, so you will see less HP gains compared to hondas.
urbandork
QUOTE (Hanyo @ Nov 4, 2004 - 11:37 PM)
it all depends on where you run the pipe.. some people run it into the driver side fender where the stock air box gets its air..

yup check out my thread about the stock airbox being a cold air type.

Basically you get sound and probably some power but minimal. Ive noticed that i get some top end speed but its probably due to the way the sound makes you step on the gas harder lol.

Some route it into the front of the driver side wheel well. Ive seen some one route it like i think the ST's are ran which is down the route the exhaust manifold takes. I didnt take this route since it wouldnt have been a good route to take if it was for turbo. I figured the farther away from the heat the better.

Check out my threads about the cold air stock airbox as well as how i made mine. 95celgt sells a prefabed one that is a direct replacement for the stock airbox.

o i have pix of mine in my profile thingy
MK153
Blakout16... does your sig need to be that big?
The__J__Factor
thanx guys,

ow just one thing i went down to autobarn(its like a car parts and crap store) down the road just to check out how much a HKS filter was gonna cost if a made a CAI...yeh found out they wanted 150 bucks thumbsdown.gif
i was like WTF mate.
and right next to the HKS is some no brand for like 30 bucks, it says hi flow on it, would there be a real difference in a HKS air filter and any other cheaper filter?
fastgt
nope....ure buying the name...just buy a k&n cone filter and you should be fine
The__J__Factor
ok one last question
if i got to a exhaust place would they be able to bend me some piping, and would i be able to use the same type of metal that exhausts use(wut ever that is?)
CheesyLobster
I dont see why not. Use 2.5 inch for cai, and go at it!
Hanyo
anyone know the universal part number for the K&N cone filter for the 2.5 inch pipe?

keefer37
QUOTE (Hanyo @ Nov 5, 2004 - 8:39 AM)
anyone know the universal part number for the K&N cone filter for the 2.5 inch pipe?

I couldn't ever find the 2.5 inch K&N. We ended up usings a 3" with a silicone reducer. Works like a charm.
mikew04
Plenty of different kinds of K&N filters here
http://www.n2performance.com/customer/pages.php?pageid=45
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.