Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turbo 5s-fe?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
importceli
i was just wondering about couple things feel free to post at will ill check up on it quite a bit.
-How much is average for a turbo for the 5s-fe
-Did you go the turbo route and if you did howd it go?
-How much labor was involved and how much did you pay?
-How much did you end up paying for misc parts and hiddin fees
-How much hp gain did you get?
-Was it worth it?
1bwilson
frown.gif
You havent read my sticky.
frown.gif

Dont try it unless you plan on doing EVERYTHING right. Theres no room for cutting corners.

You either 5sfTe right or you blow your motor.

You can build a good kit for $1200 possibly. Ive spent way to much and I dont even have installed.

Install could be as fast as a day if you have it all and dont have any snags with bolts or whatnot.
importceli
i read the sticky tongue.gif was great loved it but i needed more and i just wanted 2 see how other people did
1bwilson
Message itchy b. He's the low down pro. Hes done it, and is still running fine.
shid
QUOTE (1bwilson @ Nov 6, 2004 - 12:38 AM)
Message itchy b. He's the low down pro. Hes done it, and is still running fine.

And he's very satisfied
importceli
hmmmm ok sounds good, i think if i did anything to the engine id go the 3sgte route b/c it seems like you get just a better deal over all with the more hp and better overall engine...
946thGenGT
Well, if you can afford it definitely go the 3s route. Everybody will tell you to get a clip instead of just the engine/tranny because it will be a lot easier. But you're looking at probably $2000 min.
Hanyo

how about .. NO?

comon not the 3s talk again. a turbo for the stock motor has many benifits and is cheaper.

The 3s swap will cost at least 5k and many hours to get it installed right.. and then you still might run into problems.

The turbo kit will cost around 3k and that is with all the nessary acessories to make it run perfect. I think you can even fit in some dyno tune time under the 3k budget.
1bwilson
QUOTE (Hanyo @ Nov 5, 2004 - 10:17 PM)
how about .. NO?

comon not the 3s talk again. a turbo for the stock motor has many benifits and is cheaper.

The 3s swap will cost at least 5k and many hours to get it installed right.. and then you still might run into problems.

The turbo kit will cost around 3k and that is with all the nessary acessories to make it run perfect. I think you can even fit in some dyno tune time under the 3k budget.

I agree but have become very neutral on both subjects.

It all depends on your goals. Both settups can make 250-300 HP. The 5sfTe will most likely max out at 250 where as the 3sgte will go 300 (Maybe). Id say anything more is a waste for a front wheel drive car.

$3000 will build a VERY strong 5sfTe or $3000 will get you a foot in the door when doing the 3sgte swap.

Its all what you would rather do and/or what your able to do.
importceli
haha sounds good guys, the turbo is sounding more and more likely b/c i got an almost brand new engine :-D (56k miles) so i can prob b ok with the turbo for a while that was my only concer about the engine breakin down pritty quick from the boost. But with the 3k thats no beefin up the internals right?
1bwilson
QUOTE (importceli @ Nov 6, 2004 - 1:25 PM)
haha sounds good guys, the turbo is sounding more and more likely b/c i got an almost brand new engine :-D (56k miles) so i can prob b ok with the turbo for a while that was my only concer about the engine breakin down pritty quick from the boost. But with the 3k thats no beefin up the internals right?

$3000 with internals and ok turbo kit

or

$3000 without internals and one hell of a kit.

All prices would be without labor.
importceli
but if you do the turbo you might as well do the internals at the same time right?
what exactly would you beef up and how much does it run you?
celicaspeed
Do the 3sgte swap or u will wish u did after it pops.The motor wasnt supposed to take a turbo.You might as well get nos if you are looking for the cheap hp gains.Buy a front clip and do it your self from toyota books.I did.
1bwilson
QUOTE (celicaspeed @ Nov 7, 2004 - 9:00 PM)
Do the 3sgte swap or u will wish u did after it pops.The motor wasnt supposed to take a turbo.You might as well get nos if you are looking for the cheap hp gains.Buy a front clip and do it your self from toyota books.I did.

Your funny, welcome to the board. Read up on the forums and then talk.
importceli
QUOTE (celicaspeed @ Nov 8, 2004 - 4:00 AM)

haha /\ wisen up there, but welcome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.