Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 168bhp uk3S-GE Tuning up to 174bhp
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
racingmcfly
Hi there, ive just bought a 1997 Celica GT with the 168bhp 2 litre 3SGE engine. I used to have an 1995 MR2 which had the earlier 3SGE engine less the emision control with 174bhp which seemed to be a lot faster than the celica. Does anyone know the diffences between these engines? What can i do to increase the power back to the earlier model. Would an older ECU work?

Can i strip of the emisiion control stuff?
celicaspeed
In england do you need your egr?If not strip it off and you should take off the cat and resonater and run free flow and that will free up some horse power.Is that a stock engine because I have never heard of that engine in a 6th gen before?
fastgt
yes our 6th gens come with the second and third gen 3sge....beams....ooooohhh nice
racingmcfly
The CAT is a reqirement for the MOT (Ministry of Transport Test) which is performed yearly, so i can strip of the CAT as long as I keep it to put back in once a year. Probably get away without the EGR, gonna have to take a look how it is all connected! Maybe it just needs a good blow out, its been driven gently by a woman for the last year and not really been driven hard at all.
Mr_E
You need the cat for the MOT, yes.

There's not a lot of easy stuff to do with a 3S. It's kicking out 90bhp/litre already, so you're not doing badly.
lagos
even with the same motor inside, the mr2 will probably feel faster because of the rear wheel mid engine design
racingmcfly
Ah maybe so, might be just my imagination, from what i could find out though the celica is 100kg lighter than the MR2
Digndoug
I would def say its the midengine/rearwheel .. My old fiero felt faster then most cars i have driving, but then again it was lighter then all and still had 140hp.
racingmcfly
Just had her rolling roaded today. Havn't done any mods yet, standard power is 168bhp, mine was pussing 171bhp. Was happy with that!!!!! Wanna get a de-cat now, and if i can find one a 4-2-1 exhaust header/manifold. Problem is they seem to be a bit rare!!! Anyone know who does em? 3SGE
kevstir
Hi m8 head over to http://www.celica-club.co.uk a send stevenc1603 a pm he's thinking of getting rid of his performance header so he might do a swap plus some cash ..

Power wise get youself a Tune a Car decat pipe and K&N 57i induction kit and u will feel a huge increase in low end tourge biggrin.gif , the decat is the best mod iv done to the car engine wise biggrin.gif

Kev
D4W5
i fancy a 4" slash cut stainless system[£430] manifold-silencer["4],the dudes who do this can take the cat away,they also do mot and will pass mine without puting it back on,so that seems the best way,get to know some paople
kevstir
if that includes the manifold thats a very good price m8 biggrin.gif , personaly i would still want the option to put a cat on, having it all one peace is the best way for power but if you get pulled into one of those roadside emission sites there going to say something about it , if you have a decat in there then you can say you forgot to take it off after a track day, that way they will usualy just give you a 7 day slip to put the cat back on ..

Kev
D4W5
good point,i wont get the manifold in the deal,to be safe i might leave the cat,changet the manifold and get a stainless system cat -back,more expensive solution but i'll get about 15 bhp from it!! ??,keep on changin the cat seems alot of faff,may be worth it though ,how much to keep swappin it?
kevstir
cost me £10 to get a kwik fit monkey to swap m8 , thing is if you get the new system you will be able to swap it yourself as its only 4 bolts , the only reason i got kwik fit to do it the first time was because the bolts were far to rusty to get off(been on for 10 years lol) , he burned them out lol, this year i will just change it over myself as the bolts should be ok after 1 year ..

Not dissing 6gc.net in anyway but i recon you would get on better over at http://www.celica-club.co.uk for engine related stuff, the reason i say this as 99% of peeps on here are from the US and they didnt get the 3s-ge , asking about decats here most people tend to say they make no difference , maybe to the 1.8 and the 2.2 they dont but our 3s-ge gets some healthy gains from it biggrin.gif ..

Kev
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.