Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I know what i want now
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
macavely
Well after talking to Matt last night while i was at work.. i know what i want to do under the hood now... forget a swap i just don't want to deal with all the problems.. so i will be throwing my hat into the 5sfte club.... I already started looking for parts... i'll keep everyone updated as the parts come in...

i have modest goal (i feel they are)...
190-200whp...
Digndoug
hey at least you have a goal. that always helps. Are you going to build up the internals?? I think for starting out, you should get a 5s-fe block, then do a ge head. Then build the internals and then a nice turbo and fmi, should def be hitting way past that, an would still be pretty obtanible.
fastgt
im going the 5sfte way as well, im almost done gathering parts but first i need to finish fixing the front end, after im boostin ill do the internals
macavely
na i'm not doing the internals.. well not at first...i'm going with a CT26 turbo...if i later on i up grade to something better.. i'll get the some forged 5s pistons and rods... .
Yota
Good luck, Mac. I think its cool to build up something from nothing.
macavely
if anyone one has extra parts they are trying to sell ... hit me up...
playr158
sounds like a sweet idea mac!
macavely
QUOTE(playr158 @ Nov 24, 2004 - 7:55 PM)
sounds like a sweet idea mac!
[right][snapback]211681[/snapback][/right]

yea just think what i could do with more power under the hood... biggrin.gif
lagos
QUOTE(macavely @ Nov 24, 2004 - 5:21 PM)
... forget a swap i just don't want to deal with all the problems..
[right][snapback]211632[/snapback][/right]

now i know that im probably going to get flamed for this and please dont take it the wrong way....but if you dont want to deal with problems then a swap or a 5sfTe is not what you should be looking at doing.

anytime you modify your car, by either puting an engine into it that didnt come stock, or adding a tubo to an NA car, there will be tons of little issues (problems) to deal with. its just the nature of it, swap or custom turbo. i know that in tha past few months i have spent more time under my hood then i ever did in the 2 1/2 years that i owned my car with a stock 5sfe in it.
macavely
QUOTE(lagos @ Nov 24, 2004 - 8:30 PM)
QUOTE(macavely @ Nov 24, 2004 - 5:21 PM)
... forget a swap i just don't want to deal with all the problems..
[right][snapback]211632[/snapback][/right]

now i know that im probably going to get flamed for this and please dont take it the wrong way....but if you dont want to deal with problems then a swap or a 5sfTe is not what you should be looking at doing.

anytime you modify your car, by either puting an engine into it that didnt come stock, or adding a tubo to an NA car, there will be tons of little issues (problems) to deal with. its just the nature of it, swap or custom turbo. i know that in tha past few months i have spent more time under my hood then i ever did in the 2 1/2 years that i owned my car with a stock 5sfe in it.
[right][snapback]211697[/snapback][/right]

na the problmes i'm talking about are me getting a clip.. having it shipped.. (i don't have any where to do the swap myself) .. a turbo install i can keep all the parts in my house and just drive over to my boys house and install it in a few hours..
lagos
ahhh...i got ya. i thought you ment reliability problems.
macavely
oh na i'm ready for those kinda of problems... thats why the egine is getting a full tune up p befor the turbo goes on.. my new water pump should be in anyday now... and i can do the tune up... now i;m just looking for parts.. i'm going to see if i can make it to the junkyards next weekend...
TTE
Mac if you want I can sell you my engine 60k on it as soon as defgeph will finish with his car.
macavely
QUOTE(TTE @ Nov 24, 2004 - 9:00 PM)
Mac if you want I can sell you my engine 60k on it as soon as defgeph will finish with his car.
[right][snapback]211708[/snapback][/right]

call me up ..
playr158
do a t/3/t4 turbo to start
macavely
if i can find one.... but it looks it will just be the CT26
playr158
i know....turbocalculator.com
Jehuty
Right on, man. Im concened about lack of motor tuning options with the car but I've done alot of research so far and the turbo 5s seems the best way to go. So far I'm convinced that light pressure (stock internals, no ic, 5-6 psi on a little turbo, ~150@wheels) is the best bang for the buck. I also think the supercharger kit mentioned in a recent thread has potential.

Turbo I think is much better than the swap! Who wants to put down 300 thru the front wheels anyhow?

*No offense swappers! =) You guys have pulled off a big job!
playr158
are you retarded NO INTER-COOLER......dude your no were near ready to turbo if your saying that
946thGenGT
QUOTE(playr158 @ Nov 25, 2004 - 3:20 AM)
are you retarded NO INTER-COOLER......dude your no were near ready to turbo if your saying that
[right][snapback]211737[/snapback][/right]

At just 5-6psi he'll probably be alright.
macavely
he should be find with no IC under 9psi...

but mac will have a nice black IC sitting behind the fron air vent in the bumper... and a silent BOV>.. lol.....
x_itchy_b_x
QUOTE(macavely @ Nov 25, 2004 - 1:04 AM)

but mac will have a nice black IC sitting behind the fron air vent in the bumper... and a silent BOV>.. lol.....
[right][snapback]211773[/snapback][/right]

jsut do a recurculating valve smile.gif and if u have any question about 5sfte in g throw the me, 1bwilson, and neverstop. im sure one of us can help you out.
macavely
QUOTE(x_itchy_b_x @ Nov 25, 2004 - 12:19 AM)
QUOTE(macavely @ Nov 25, 2004 - 1:04 AM)

[right][snapback]211773[/snapback][/right]

jsut do a recurculating valve smile.gif and if u have any question about 5sfte in g throw the me, 1bwilson, and neverstop. im sure one of us can help you out.
[right][snapback]211783[/snapback][/right]

thanks i will... and i'll throw a few ideas ya'll way.. as some of you know .. i have some crazy ideas just chillen in my head ready to be put into reality... is the word ready for them.. well we will all founds out (Spring 05)
lagos
heat=detonation

for a 5sfTe i would do an intercooler and water injection, just to be as safe as possible.
macavely
QUOTE(lagos @ Nov 25, 2004 - 12:43 AM)
heat=detonation

for a 5sfTe i would do an intercooler and water injection, just to be as safe as possible.
[right][snapback]211790[/snapback][/right]

yes...i'm also thinking about how i can get more heat out of the engine bay.. while not taking and heat away fomr the turbo...
Jehuty
QUOTE(playr158 @ Nov 24, 2004 - 10:20 PM)
[right][snapback]211737[/snapback][/right]

A turbo compressor that flows efficiently at 5-6 psi is going to produce a cooler charge than a positive displacement blower at the same pressure, which by the way are almost never intercooled. At that low of a pressure, plumbing in an ic would not be worth it, considering that the turbo would have to huff harder to make up for pressure drop going thru piping and the core itself- producing a hotter charge coming off the cold side. Throw in cost while you're at it but the real issue here is throttle response. all things equal, an engine that has better throttle response allows the driver to deliver more of the total available power, more of the time.

By the way, playr one-five-six, I am in fact retarded. Can't you tell? Try to be a little more sensitive.
shid
Man, everyone's getting the 5sfte before me; damned money problems..
x_itchy_b_x
QUOTE(shid @ Nov 25, 2004 - 2:16 PM)
[right][snapback]211943[/snapback][/right]

i think my dyno sheet help nudge people lol
macavely
QUOTE(x_itchy_b_x @ Nov 25, 2004 - 4:32 PM)
QUOTE(shid @ Nov 25, 2004 - 2:16 PM)
[right][snapback]211943[/snapback][/right]

i think my dyno sheet help nudge people lol
[right][snapback]212033[/snapback][/right]

do you have a better pic of that dyno sheet.. or could just just post the numbers on here?
NEVERSTOP
A turbo compressor that flows efficiently at 5-6 psi is going to produce a cooler charge than a positive displacement blower at the same pressure, which by the way are almost never intercooled. At that low of a pressure, plumbing in an ic would not be worth it, considering that the turbo would have to huff harder to make up for pressure drop going thru piping and the core itself- producing a hotter charge coming off the cold side. Throw in cost while you're at it but the real issue here is throttle response. all things equal, an engine that has better throttle response allows the driver to deliver more of the total available power, more of the time.

ALot of blowers r now using aftercoolers which while differnt from a IC does help.

I suggest an IC.. granted at 5-6 psi your really not gonna need it but at some time your gonna want to turn it up some more... thats just how it works tongue.gif

another option to reduce lag and still cool the charge is using CO2 sprayer on your piping.. its aot of custom work but have seen it yeild great results for people that run non IC

Either way good luck on your guys 5sfte projects biggrin.gif
x_itchy_b_x
user posted image
macavely
thanks
Jehuty
QUOTE(NEVERSTOP @ Nov 25, 2004 - 5:20 PM)

I suggest an IC.. granted at 5-6 psi your really not gonna need it but at some time your gonna want to turn it up some more... thats just how it works tongue.gif

[right][snapback]212052[/snapback][/right]

Nah, I'm kinda "over it". For me personally, no matter how much power I have, I get used to the accellerative g force within a few hours. Nowadays, as long as the power is adequate, I'm pleased. It's just that in the Celica, 130hp is not quite... adequate. =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.