Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost control of car on onramp
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
creis
Today I was going to work (taking my usual rout to this site) and it was pirtty slick but not really bad, anyway I was going like 35 around a wide 90 degree corner and the back end started sliding out, it was not a big deal but all the sudded the back end just went, It slid into the dirt an stayed sideways half in the dirt/rocks and half on the road, i slide sidways for a bit then the back end went ever farther around. the back wheels just maid it back onto the road before the berriour, where i slid accross and stoped about a foot from the berriour on the other side (one lane road) i found myself speachless facing the stoped oncuming traffic, I slowly backed up, turned around and went on my way. when i got to work i did not see any damage to the car, but i was shaking like crazy. from now on i'm gana be taking that ramp VERY SLOWLY

for those of you who live near me its the onramp to I-5 right in frunt of montlake theatre. its an S shape (I slid at the first curve)

I just felt like telling the story to someone, anyone else had a close call like that, where it just kinda happend out of the blue?
playr158
i was taking a 270* off ramp with 14" rims in the front and 17" in the back (in between rim setups) and doin about 45-50mph (2.5 drop) and it was resonably tight and the barrior was on my side and the ramp went around to the left and the back just went out toward teh barrier but i'm good with sliding so i didn't think a thing of it and just slid it a lil and then counter steered her back in the right direction
C3L1CA
I would be shaking to. I almost hit a barrier in the rain one day too. I was following my friend in his lancer going about 60mph on the highway all of a suden he starts drifting towards the barrier and i was like wtf. I hit the same spot and got like an inch away from the barrier. It is scary when stuff like this happens.
Jehuty
Yeah I think we all know that feeling. The shaking. =D

Some of us...ahem... have even wrecked/blown up/obliterated a few cars in the process.

Live and learn, chalk it up! Glad to hear there was no damage to yourself or your car!
Redline_Racer
yeh man close to the same thing happened to be before I got my new tires I was driving and saw a red light so I slowed down a little to hard and spun my car sideways in the a 2 lane road and straightened it out in the middle of the intersection. That feeling is weird though... good luck sleeping with all that adrenalin pumping through your blood.

-Brandon
Clipsetuner
hmm weight transfer always fun! there is the 90degree corner I hit at 80ish and drift all the time wet/dry. Get some people you know with RWD cars and go drifting and learn how to control your car better in a wide open area. I went out with 2 240's, a 7, and a A4, and all the stuff those guys showed/tought me helped me out so much.
DTE
urbandork
QUOTE(Clipsetuner @ Nov 25, 2004 - 4:03 AM)
hmm weight transfer always fun! there is the 90degree corner I hit at 80ish and drift all the time wet/dry. Get some people you know with RWD cars and go drifting and learn how to control your car better in a wide open area. I went out with 2 240's, a 7, and a A4, and all the stuff those guys showed/tought me helped me out so much.
DTE
[right][snapback]211751[/snapback][/right]

use to do that with my corolla that was fun wee
creis
I should mention that my rear tires, (were my frunt but had them rotated) are legaly bald due to my burn out habbits.

I think i'll fall asleep pritty quick, I want this day to be over. But yeah i felt really weird right after it happen looking at 2 old people in a minivan obviousely in shock, pribibly did not help our image and added to the steriotype that kids with fixed up cars are bad drivers. smile.gif
C3L1CA
It's OK I don't think people like my driving either, especially when me and a bunch of my friends are on the highway ripping it up.
Mr_E
QUOTE(creis @ Nov 25, 2004 - 3:14 AM)
I should mention that my rear tires, (were my frunt but had them rotated) are legaly bald due to my burn out habbits.

You've got bald tyres on the back end, and you were suprised at lift off oversteer in the wet?

I give up.

Countersteer and nail the throttle to haul the car out of the slide.

And buy some new rubber.
Jehuty
QUOTE(Mr_E @ Nov 25, 2004 - 6:27 AM)
QUOTE(creis @ Nov 25, 2004 - 3:14 AM)

You've got bald tyres on the back end, and you were suprised at lift off oversteer in the wet?

I give up.

Countersteer and nail the throttle to haul the car out of the slide.

And buy some new rubber.
[right][snapback]211880[/snapback][/right]

Hmm. yeah. and maybe buy a helmet. and wear it. at an autox. with an instructor. =P
ConeTrouble
QUOTE(Jehuty @ Nov 25, 2004 - 5:54 PM)
Hmm. yeah.  and maybe buy a helmet.  and wear it. at an autox. with an instructor. =P
[right][snapback]211932[/snapback][/right]

Best advice so far. New rubber is next. smile.gif
creis
Yep, i'm getting the best tires i can get my hands on right after christmas. but till then its slow going for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.