Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny about to detonate?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
gt_driFFter
Hey guys, I recently aqcuired a 94 celica gt for FREE. It's got the 2.2 motor and it's got a manual transmission. It also has nearly 250k miles! mad.gif Oh well, like i said, it was free. For nearly a quarter of a million miles, this car is in great shape. Besides an oil leak, the only thing wrong with this vehicle is the transmission. When I don't have the clutch pressed in, it makes this horribly loud rattling noise that sounds like I have marbles rolling around in my transmission. The sound goes away when I press the clutch in. This made me think it might be the throwout bearing, does that sound right? Also, first gear is really f*ckin hard to shift into, and I can't even shift into 5th because it just slips out.
I want to upgrade with performance parts but I'm afraid that the whole tranny might just be done for, with 250k on it.
Suggestions?

Thanks,
-Josh
Anub1s
Your tranny is fubar'd my friend. I would recommend a rebuild and definitely a new clutch and throw out bearing. It seems to me that your throw out bearing has run out of grease and possible gotten some crap in there which would make that scraping/rattling sound.
macavely
this is what i would do.. (just what i would do not saying this should be done.) .. I would do one of 2 things just to save you some problems down the road.. First you can just go and get a new/newer tranny that has been inspected and tested by a good shop... and install a new clutch.. and call it a day.... Second thing you could do is have that tranny rebuilt.. (i know a lot of people on this site don't agree with me on this) .. they 5s's tranny can be rebuilt better then new.. hold more power and can be re-geared to more of that Tq on to the ground...

bufferdan
The noise is your throwout bearing... 5th gear sounds like its about dead if not already. The only way to fix the sound would be to replace the throwout bearing and then you ought to replace the clutch also..but being that 5th gear is dead too i would rebuild or put another tranny in smile.gif

Anyways, The cheapest way to go about this is to change the tranny fluid out with some fresh stuff...try some pennzoil synchromesh, see if that helps your 5th gear at all....and just put up with the throwout bearing noise smile.gif
gt_driFFter
What would be a good price range to look for in getting a new tranny? What about a tranny rebuild?

-Josh
macavely
from a good tanny shop (the ones that just do trannies) depeneding on what you want a rebuild can run you from 300-600 .. and a new trany from a dealer is around 1200 ...
bufferdan
hey..sweet man, i just noticed your in dayton, ohio also. If you need any help with anything let me know. I just did a clutch on a 96 GT a couple months back so it still fresh in my memory.

www.car-parts.com

Looks like you could pick a used one up for around 300$.
gt_driFFter
This probably is a dumb question but what does a tranny rebuild usually consist of? Would the clutch and throwout bearing be included in this?

Thanks again,
-Josh
macavely
QUOTE(gt_driFFter @ Nov 30, 2004 - 1:40 AM)
This probably is a dumb question but what does a tranny rebuild usually consist of? Would the clutch and throwout bearing be included in this?

Thanks again,
-Josh
[right][snapback]214423[/snapback][/right]

well there is more then just one type of rebuild.. much like and egine.. but not really..

you can have a simple rebuild.. replace all worn seals... and replace any other worn part... useally a syncro or two and gear is its striped... forks....ect... then you can have a performance rebuild where you change all the gears ..seals... shafts.. intall a LSD... (on FWD) ... basically make the tranny way better then stock... I know i'm leaving out a lot.. maybe tomorrow i'll do a write up on tranny rebuilds... i'm so tired and sleepy right now.. but i have to stay up cause i'm at work..
bufferdan
A tranny rebuild consists of replacing what is broke or bad for the most part...there arent any seals inside manual trannys usually. Mostly what needs replacing is synchronizers and bearings. Sometimes gears are wore so they will replace those also. A rebuild will most likely end up costing you around 1000$ plus, because of labor. Same with a used replacement if a shop does it. Can you do your own work? If so i would recommend buying a used tranny from a local salvage yard (www.car-parts.com) and replacing it yourself. Also, clutch is not going to be included. You can get new clutch kits though for 150$ for the 5sfe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.