Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long does it take to warm up car
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
chicklover345
i shift around 3000 rpms and it takes 10 min to get the heat inside to actually warm up the inside. and it takes that long for the engine temp to get to normal. is this normal or is it a prob w/ anything. how long does it take your car?
macavely
well i start my car and start driving about a minute after i start it... just while i get my self orgnized in the car.. but it take the engine about 3-5 minutes to warm up for me... and the heat about 5minutes to blow hot air out ..
rjbibeau
throw a bigger temp thermostat in there that will help a lot... i know it did to my car.
chicklover345
where can i get a bigger temp thermostat and where is it in the engine bay?
playr158
advanced auto parts.....
Coomer
Mine takes a good 10-15 minutes to get completely warm with my very light warm-up driving. I get heat after about 5 minutes, but I know the oil is still warming up.
Snarfer
The spring in the thermostat gets old and it won't open up as quicker. You don't need a higher temp rating, just replace it with an oem one.

Its not hard to replace just remove the oil filter, drain the coolant, near the where the oil filter was is a coolant hose, remove the two bolts on the plastic housing where it connects to the engine. Clean it all up, install a new o-ring gasket, and thermostat. align the jiggle valve with the little nub on the plastic housing, and put everything back together, and add coolant.

I get heat in a few minutes after starting up, and the temp guage is good after 5 or less.
Digndoug
recently I havnt really cared bout warming up my car before i drive. So i norm get heat kicking bout 2-3 min after driving it. but i norm dont crank the heat. IM use to not having heat in my house all the time. so I dont need it that hot too.
chicklover345
so an oem one would be fine? and when i shift into reverse in the morn it is really hard almost like its frozen what is that?
rjbibeau
QUOTE(Snarfer @ Dec 6, 2004 - 4:02 AM)
The spring in the thermostat gets old and it won't open up as quicker. You don't need a higher temp rating, just replace it with an oem one.

Its not hard to replace just remove the oil filter, drain the coolant, near the where the oil filter was is a coolant hose, remove the two bolts on the plastic housing where it connects to the engine.  Clean it all up, install a new o-ring gasket, and thermostat.  align the jiggle valve with the little nub on the plastic housing, and put everything back together, and add coolant.

I get heat in a few minutes after starting up, and the temp guage is good after 5 or less.
[right][snapback]217322[/snapback][/right]

actually it's the wax in the thermostat gets old and sticks. putting a higher temp thermostat is going to give you more heat that is the whole point why throw an oem one in there if he wants heat quicker.
Umm.. Hopefully, you aren't one of those people who crank up the heat when you hope that it will warm up.
chicklover345
well no im not that dumb but i do need to defrost my windows because they get fogged and ice on them and i got an ice scraper but its atill freezing in there but im in a rental while my house builds so i only have to park in the freezing temps till late january then ill have a garage right now my boat is in the garage. what about the shifting when its cold why is it hard for a while does the oil freeze?
Oil gets thicker when it gets colder. That's all. And how much of your coolant solution contains water?
CheesyLobster
About 3 minutes in 45 degree morning temps.
hellsyphon
It takes around 20 minutes for my engine to warmup
hs2g
Every morning here in Minnesota its about 20-30 degrees. And the needle starts to move up a little after 5 minutes for me (Saying the car was sitting in the cold overnight). It takes about 8-10 minutes for the needle to be in the center (normal).

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I sit in the car and hold the gas down to around 3kRPM for about 1-2 minutes. I helps speed things along.

And I hope you don't start driving a few sec. after you start the car. Just take a few minutes and wait, it would be a lot better on the engine.
Doge
I was under the impression that the thermostat kept the coolant from the radiator from flowing into the engine. So why would a thermostat have anything to do with how fast a car warms up? The thermostat isnt going to do anything until it gets hot enough, which will then open the valve and start flowing cold coolant from the radiator. So its completely motionless untill the car warms up. Am I crazy?

P.S. if its not freezing weather outside driving it cold isn't going to do anything... if you do you have to drive really really easy (no higher than 2k) till it does warm up.
Snarfer
No heat will reach the heater coil inside the car before the thermostat opens, which is why old crappy ones suck because its so cold in the mornings.

wow that doesn't make a lot of sense, i was up all night last night working on a project and i'm finishing up the report of it. stupid exams.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.