Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Installation
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
junhus69
I bought a clutch kit for my 94 Celica ST from Gripforce.com for 113 dollars. I gave the clutch to my mechanic who was supposed to swap out the old one and put in the new one. When he took out the old one he didnt look to see if the 2 pressure plates the old one and the new one matched. He mounted the new clutch and put it back together. He went to start the car and the pressure plate which was to big was grinding against the bellhousing of the tranny. He lets the car sit there for 2 days without calling me or anything. Im in the process of studying for a chemistry exam so the car is not the first thing that is on my mind. I go to pick up the car and he tells me the problem. I get pissed and tell him that he should have called me when he had the car open, he didnt he just assumed and put everything back together. My uncle told him to fix it so he orderd the parts from toyota and the car i supposedly fixed. HE WANTS TO CHARGE ME DOUBLE FOR INSTALL!! I have talked to 3 technicians that i know and i talked to a toyota tech and they all said it was his f'ing fault for not checking the pressure plates
Should i pay him double
what is a reasonable price including the 185 dollar clutch kit.
Supersprynt
Doesnt matter the price you paid for the clutch - ur looking at probably 3-500. But no do not pay him double.
Anub1s
That was HIS mistake, mechanics know better than to just simply put a Pressure Plate/ Clutch disk back on the engine if its not the same size (in comparison) as the stockers. Tell him that you will pay him for the initial job but nothing more. AND if he put a big enough scratch in your bell housing, make him swap that out too. If he doesn't pay up or if he doesn't agree, take him to small claims court and present your case.
junhus69
Thanks for the comments, just got the car back i got the price down to were i wanted it and now there is another problem. The car needs a wheel bearing and the tranny is leaking becuse of a gasket. I bought a gasket and i bought the wheel bearing and hopefully the car will be done today. LAST TIME I GO TO THIS GUY. Im praying that nothing else will be wrong with the car at 5 when i go pick it up!!
nitemare
horrible...i wouldnt have had the mechanic do the install a 2nd time...i would have ate the money and gone somewhere else. especially for a clutch install- u wanna go to somebody youve been too b4.

i ordered a clutchmaster stage 1 from the internet for $150 and my private mechanic installed it for around $300.. runs perfect. put already about 40K miles on it..95 celica GT..
recneps
transmissions have gaskets?

is that a dumb question? i dont think they do.
thedevilmaycrie
damn dude im sry you dont live3 in so cal...
i would have done it for free as long as you would have mountain rdge ran with me...

-DMC
Mynzeyes
mmmmhm, i just installed my clutch last weekend in my garage. and yes, the mechanic is a moron for not checking, and if it rubs the actual housing of the tranny, then he's a HUUUUUGE moron, because having done it, it seems like you would have to TRY to mess it up that much.

anyway, do not pay double. if you have to, report him to the BBB or somethin. and yeah, you're lookin at around 3-500 bucks to have the clutch done, unless you DIY, which i did for about 150 bucks after all fluids, etc etc etc.

-John-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.