Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SWAY BARS
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Suspension/Handling/Braking
Pages: 1, 2, 3
edo17982
Who in this site is using front and rear Suspenion Techniques sway bars? How do you feel them?
I'm asking that cuz I have them in my box but dunno if put them on cuz they are for sure bigger but they feel less strong then stock...
PLZ reply only if ya have direct experience with them! thx smile.gif
Coomer
They're very strong...You can flex the OEM ones just by putting weight on them...I couldn't do that with my Suspension Techniques sway bars.

I like them a lot. My body roll was greatly reduced. smile.gif The only problem is that they hit the frame a little bit in one spot.
Consynx
how do you feel them or how do you install them?
be a lil more specific for those who have 1st person experience
mikew04
they might not feel very strong, but the pressure that is put on the sway bars is in a twisting motion... its gonna be hard to decide which is stronger just by putting weight on it
RedSunCelica
very stiff my back hurts when im driving long distance with them.

as for the install the only way i saw it was going to fit was by removing the gas tank a little. so i decided to take it to a shop and let them deal with it.with both front and rear installed the car rides stiff now with the other suspensions goodies i have on there already. if you live in a place with tiht curvy roads and long sweepers youll love them if you live in a city with crappy roads full of pop holes your going to hate it.
shadycrew31
im gonna get mine tonight i dunno when im gonna install but im gonna uy them!!! wait wait which is better front or rear i can only do either or this week 2 weeks ill get the othewr. (drunk post)
Junior
Save up for both. If you do one and not the other you'll create oversteer or understeer, unless thats what you want.
RedSunCelica
QUOTE(shadycrew31 @ Dec 11, 2004 - 4:17 AM)
im gonna get mine tonight i dunno when im gonna install but im gonna uy them!!! wait wait which is better front or rear i can only do either or this week 2 weeks ill get the othewr.  (drunk post)
[right][snapback]220100[/snapback][/right]

dude. everytime your on this message board your drunk hahahaha. if you can only get one get the front. thats my recommendation.
trdevelopment
QUOTE(RedSunCelica @ Dec 11, 2004 - 2:21 AM)
very stiff my back hurts when im driving long distance with them.

as for the install the only way i saw it was going to fit was by removing the gas tank a little. so i decided to take it to a shop and let them deal with it.with both front and rear installed the car rides stiff now with the other suspensions goodies i have on there already. if you live in a place with tiht curvy roads and long sweepers youll love them if you live  in a city with crappy roads full of pop holes your going to hate it.
[right][snapback]219957[/snapback][/right]

hold on the sway bars make the car more stiff? man my car is already stiff as it is with ground control coilovers... does eveyone else feel the same way?
jgreening
the sway bars did not make my ride any more "harsh" although the springs and struts do that. I concur with Coomer's post. I still haven't fixed my front sway bar where it rubs on the frame. I plan on trying some things soon. Jeremy says that it can be fixed by bending some of the undercarriage up. This should only be a problem if you have a lowered car. All in all, very worth it if you can avoid the rubbing.
Supersprynt
How bad is the rubbing? Can you hear it in side the car?

I just ordered mine last night ( xmas present )
jgreening
It hits when accellerating from a stop and rubs when cornering hard. Under normal driving you don't notice it but under spirited driving you do. I will put my stocker back on if I can't fix it. Its annoying as hell. When I was contemplating selling the car, I almost put the stocker on without seeing if the ST could be fixed as I knew it wouldn't sell the car with that noise.
Coomer
Yes, it's a horrible metal rubbing metal noise...you can hear it inside the car and it sucks. Everyone always says "Umm...that doesn't sound good." or "What's that noise? Is your car broken?"

When I replace my front bushings I'm going to pound the little area where it hits(it's not actually the frame, just the bottom part of the car) with something to make it bend just enough so that they don't rub. wink.gif

Speaking of replacing bushings, how should I lubricate them prior to putting them in?
Supersprynt
Probably with just any old auto grease - or a anti-seize.

When I install the bars I'll look into fixing that and pass it on.
Digndoug
HaHa, That sucks. My cai does that every nice bump i hit. it sucks, every one thinks my car is falling apart cause i always am taking it apart and working on crap.

Would you guys say it was worth the $250 ?? Like if u did it again, would u?
mikew04
Since sway bars push the inside suspension up when cornering to keep the car flat, would stiffer springs reduce the effect?
Coomer
QUOTE(Digndoug @ Dec 13, 2004 - 7:14 PM)
Would you guys say it was worth the $250 ?? Like if u did it again, would u?
[right][snapback]221126[/snapback][/right]

I would, but I'd install them myself and pound the underbody in a bit while I was doing the install.
Drocay
does it rub on the left side or right so i'll know were to pound out. wink.gif
Digndoug
QUOTE(Drocay @ Dec 14, 2004 - 4:21 PM)
[right][snapback]221306[/snapback][/right]

haha good call.
Coomer
QUOTE(Drocay @ Dec 14, 2004 - 8:21 AM)
[right][snapback]221306[/snapback][/right]

Left side I believe...Maybe this weekend I'll instally my new bushings and take a photo of the rubbed area for you guys...I can tell where it rubbed because there's no more paint there...so I'll spray it with some industrial grade rust-proof coating and then spray it with underbody coating too.
jgreening
I would really appreciate those pics Coom. I have been under my car a couple times and have a really difficult time telling where it is rubbing. It sounds as if mine is coming from the front passenger side though.
Coomer
QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 15, 2004 - 2:52 PM)
I would really appreciate those pics Coom.  I have been under my car a couple times and have a really difficult time telling where it is rubbing.  It sounds as if mine is coming from the front passenger side though.
[right][snapback]221910[/snapback][/right]

I'll see what I can do. I think I'm pretty busy this weekend and next, but maybe during my break from work between Christmas and New Years I can get stuff done. smile.gif
Supersprynt
wouldntn you be able to see where its rubbing as the color is rubbed off?
Coomer
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Dec 15, 2004 - 3:11 PM)
[right][snapback]221921[/snapback][/right]

I sure can. Maybe jgreening's doesn't rub as bad as mine does. wink.gif
Supersprynt
I get mine in 9 days so we'll see what happens.
latinomasfino
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Dec 16, 2004 - 3:37 PM)
I get mine in 9 days so we'll see what happens.
[right][snapback]222267[/snapback][/right]

where did u order ur sway bars? and how much$
jgreening

It is VERY difficult to see up there. I had the car up on stands and with the lowered suspension there wasn't much room to look "above" the bar to see where it was hitting the underside of the car. From Coom's post I assume that the top of the sway bar is hitting the underside of the car when it goes above the underbrace. This is where I suspect mine is hitting as well and there really isnt enough room to see well. Also, the bar is silver unlike the stock black. The underside of the car is a similar color and not painted so its hard to tell. confused.gif

where did u order ur sway bars? and how much$

I got mine from NOPI
Supersprynt
I also got mine at Nopi.
zipstrips
the sway bars affect the body roll and weight transfer. they'll make the steering feel much more responsive.. install only the front and you will understeer, just the rear and you will see your car oversteer more. ST recommends installing both, together. installing only the front or rear is "dangerous." i only got my front install cause i didnt feel like pulling the tank yet. understeer much? no, but if i was on the solo2 course im sure id be pushing and spinning tires much more than necessary. installing the real will clear that problem up thou. Clearence issuse? i have had no added rubbing touching or noise from my front.
jgreening
Coom:

Did you ever take those pics? Just curious...

Jay.
Supersprynt
You have to pull the tank to install the rears? Can anyone else confirm this?
Drocay
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Jan 10, 2005 - 8:52 AM)
[right][snapback]231957[/snapback][/right]

yea, seriously i don't like the sound of that.
S_C_M
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Jan 10, 2005 - 1:52 PM)
[right][snapback]231957[/snapback][/right]

You don't have to pull it so much as remove the tank retention bands and move it. It's slightly a PITA, but overall not too bad. I had access to a lift when I did mine; I just propped the tank with a transmission jack and maneuvered the bar into place.

I only have the ST rear bar, and I would not say that the car is "dangerous." With the bar on the least firm setting it's actually pretty neutral with my setup.
Jeremy1210
Ok, the front on the ST rubs on the left side right after it bends up. When you jack your car up you should be able to tell that it is a lot closer to the underbody than the right. That is where you need to pound hte area. I didn't take off my sway barm I just used a pry bar and a hammer to move it. It wasn't easy with no real room to get a great swing.

As for lubing up the bushing. I recommend using lithium grease for marine vessels. This stuff is water proof and lasts forever it seems. I also greased up where the car was rubbing to help out.

If someone wants pics still let me know cause I gotta change my oil soon

Jeremy
Supersprynt
Hey shoot me some pics - thanks.
trdevelopment
id also be interested.
Jeremy1210
ok. I will try to do it this weekend.

Jeremy
jgreening
id also be interested.

Please post the pics Jeremy. If you can't, I would like to get them too.

Jay.
Drocay
QUOTE(jgreening @ Jan 12, 2005 - 6:17 PM)
id also be interested.

Please post the pics Jeremy. If you can't, I would like to get them too.

Jay.
[right][snapback]232973[/snapback][/right]

same here bro, i would like some pics as well.
jgreening
I finally had a chance to get under the car and address this issue. Here is a pretty dark picture of the problem:

user posted image

As you can see, the middle part of the sway bar sticks up to clear the subframe. Unfortunately, it goes up TOO FAR! The clearance with no load on the car is about 1/4 of an inch. With a load, its right next to it. Any body lean or up and down motion under torque and its hitting the undercarriage.

Above the sway bar is the undercarriage of the car. Before I did anything to it, the undercarriage was already significantly bent up from the sway bar hitting it on corners or under torque. I used a prybar (as a tool to hit - I would not recommend prying the sway bar apart from the undercarriage) and a hammer to give it greater clearance but it will only move so much. I probably got an extra 1/8" to 1/4". I haven't driven on it yet, but I am not optimistic. I am going to contact Suspension Techniques and see if they have an easier fix if this didn't work.

Supersprynt
Dude, September 12, 1961? Time to program ur digital.

Thanks for the pic but damn its blurry.
Digndoug
So I dont get it, if it rubs against it no matter what u do, why both getting it, or its only before u pound on that peace?
redGT
Any updates on the clearance issues? Also, those with the rubbing: How far is your car lowered compared to stock?
jgreening
I originally thought the car being lowered was part of the problem but I don't think so anymore. I think its a design issue with the sway bars. The sway bars attach by a U shaped clip to the top side of lower members on the each side of the car. From there, the sway bar bends upwards and over the lower cross member that spans the width of the car. IMO, it seems as they simply travel to far up under the car and end up hitting the undercarriage. This "middle" section should simply be designed a little lower so that the bar would travel right inbetween the lower cross member and the undercarriage - but it doesn't. Both spedtoe and Jeremy had luck simply bending the undercarriage upward. I have not had as good of luck yet.
redGT
Viewing the pics in Jeremy's profile, it does seem to be a design issue if his car is not lowered. I'll have to do some more research before spending the money. What other brands besides the ST bars are available for the celica? I had an ST rear bar on my eclipse before junking it in favor of some thick-a$$ bars (front and rear) made by RMDSM. The Suspension Techniques bars IMO really aren't agressive enough for serious drivers.
Supersprynt
What if spacers were put above the u-clips, lowering them a bit?
jgreening
the u-clips sit upsidedown on the top side of the cross member. Putting spacers there would make the problem worse.
Jeremy1210
Heres an Idea for you guys that have lowered the car or are still having rubbing issues. I recently redid the grease on the spot where i bent the car, but before i put grease on, I had some extra really sticky dynamat(the kind with the silver backing and really sticky black stuff. I put that on and smooshed the hell outta it and the lubed it up. This might help with the noise. I did it for 1 reason, I accidentally put a hole in my undercarriage, so I used it to cover it.

This is just an idea, but I think it might help out. If one of you want to try it without buying it, I'll send you a piece or 2 to give it a shot.

Oh and trust me on the Marine Grease. It works wonders smile.gif

Jeremy
Supersprynt
QUOTE(jgreening @ Feb 9, 2005 - 9:32 AM)
the u-clips sit upsidedown on the top side of the cross member.  Putting spacers there would make the problem worse.
[right][snapback]243870[/snapback][/right]

Gotcha, so has anybody contacted Susp. Tech. bout this? Perhaps we can get a response if a few of us write to them.

Or how bout using a different bushing?
jgreening
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Feb 9, 2005 - 2:12 PM)
QUOTE(jgreening @ Feb 9, 2005 - 9:32 AM)
the u-clips sit upsidedown on the top side of the cross member.  Putting spacers there would make the problem worse.
[right][snapback]243870[/snapback][/right]

Gotcha, so has anybody contacted Susp. Tech. bout this? Perhaps we can get a response if a few of us write to them.

Or how bout using a different bushing?
[right][snapback]243956[/snapback][/right]

I contacted them. They said the would pull in a celica and verify there is a problem. If they determine that there is, they have promised to address it. Although the representative appeared very genuine, I am not sure how long this might take. I contacted them about 10 days ago. No follow-up yet.

How would using a different bushing help?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.