Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question after something happend..
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
95celgt
ok, so I was cleaning the engine bay a little, and i disconnected the AGU fuse holder that goes to the amp. Well stupid me i disconnected the side attatched to the battery and didn't notice, so i went to the neighborhood gas station to put air in the tires and the car started stalling and bogging while it was accelerating.
so i took it back home and pop the hood........now heres the climax....

the amp cable which was still connected to the battery thus having a positive charge touched and even melted on to a bolt thats attatched to the tranny mount.
then i noticed the ground from the battery is attatched to the tranny as well.
My question is: Did i short my trans./engine because of this?

since then my car doesn't run the same, tranny takes a bit longer to respond and the engine isnt as torqy as it used to be. Am i looking at serious damage here?
Snarfer
You shorted the battery using the trans. But you may want to check out ignition wires and plugs and make sure none of them melted, they may have not been able to discharge as quickly and crapped out on you. I would also check the grounds connected to the head and transmission and make sure they are in good shape.
rjbibeau
it's most likely the plugs they symptoms sound like faulty plugs same thing happened to me when a wrench touched the two terminals of the batt.. ohh by the way don't do that and then try and grab the wrench with your bare hand.
Snarfer
be careful when you put your plugs back in. that rule about finger tight and 1/4 turn only work when the crush washers are new. I've had a hell of a time with messed up threads on a head.
Consynx
there wasn't anything where the negative was touching?
usually there is massive heat at both points, maybe the dmg is where the negative was at.
GTAlmond
Heavily doubt that the engine or trans could get a "short" from grounding out a positive lead, maybe a part of the electrical system.

I would definately recommend checking all of your fuses, when something like the battery gets grounded out, usually a number of them blow to prevent damage to the computer.

Check your computer, use a friends and see if there is any difference, if there is, most likely your comp has been zapped.

Replace your battery, when a battery is grounded out for an extended period of time like that, damage does occur, while it may not be noticable, but discharge is most likely to occur much faster, plus now that it has been grounded, there is an minor unsafe chance of explosion.

Check your wires, and plugs, make sure that none of them have any corrosion, or melting/fusing from the grounding.

Check the altenator, the grounding out does have an effect on it since it can reach back to the charging source.

I had a friend that accidentally got his battery to ground out to his cars body, 2 of the doors were welded closed at the latches.

Be careful next time, and thats about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.