Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Terrible Fuel Economy
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
exxtractor
Using 87 octane I'm getting approx 20-21 MPG.

Man my '94 1.8L ST auto is just getting brutal fuel economy... don't get me wrong its probably the way I drive, my typical commute is 45 miles round-trip (35 miles HWY/10 CTY), and I have bad habits like aggressive acceleration for green, driving 65-80 MPH on HWY. Last time I posted a few months ago it was 22. Amazing when I hear peole say they are getting in the 30's. Guess I should change my drivng habits... maybe not.
Coomer
Have you done a tune-up on your car? Have you tried slowing down for a tank of gas to see if you get better economy?

It's possible that you need a tune-up or O2 sensor.
dstrbcelica
i don't think it's your driving habits. i'm having the same problem and i think we just need a tune up.

-dstrb
Digndoug
I was gunna say, I thought i was getting terible, like somthing was wrong. I was getting around 24 mpg, and thought that was crap. Then I replaced the plugs, cleaned the air filter, and started driving a l,ot slower and shifting around 2500-3 compared to 3500-4. I got then around 30 mpg. It seemed to much of a pain to drive like that though. So now i drive norm. I still will accel kinda quick, but shift into higher gears faster, and cut out the always trying to race people an ****. so now im getting around an average of 26mpg. I would say replace your fuel filter, that would most likley help alot and prolly hasnt been changed. Come to think bout it, I should do the same.
exxtractor
I'm pretty good about trying to take care of the car, had the plugs changed at 87,000 miles. Regular oil and service, but I don't belive the oxygen sensor has been changed... possilby for the life of the celica. Might do that at the next oil change. Would changing the fuel filter have any effect?
hellsyphon
Yes it will. A fuel filter clogged up with junk will kill your gas mileage. A new fuel filter wouldnt hurt and maybe sometime in the future flush your fuel line?
1900WattCelica
I just changed my fuel filter on my geo prizm (4a-fe). It wasnt all that bad to do. Just please remember to use TWO washers. One on the top side fuel line fitting(out > going to engine) and one on the bottom side of the out line. I forgot to check if both were on and it looked like my new fuel filter was a water fountain lol. The in line(from gas tank) is a metal line that you unscrew using a open wrench from the underside of the vehicle when its on a ramp or jacked up. Put something under the fuel filter too so you dont get it all over your driveway. I looked on my 95 GT and it looks MUCH easier to change on the celica than the prizm.
Drocay
QUOTE(exxtractor @ Dec 16, 2004 - 1:47 PM)
Using 87 octane I'm getting approx 20-21 MPG.

Man my '94 1.8L ST auto is just getting brutal fuel economy... don't get me wrong its probably the way I drive, my typical commute is 45 miles round-trip (35 miles HWY/10 CTY),  and I have bad habits like aggressive acceleration for green, driving 65-80 MPH on HWY.  Last time I posted a few months ago it was 22.  Amazing when I hear peole say they are getting in the 30's.  Guess I should change my drivng habits... maybe not.
[right][snapback]222360[/snapback][/right]

I don't think its driving because i'm getting the same and i've changed my driving habits. I remeber when i bought the car it was getting around 26-30. So i think i'll try tune up first.
funnyboy117

Yeah my auto ST hardly gets 20mpg and I only drive it hard once in a while, such as going 100 on the freeway once every couple months. Other than that it shifts when it feels like it, I hardly ever take it to redline.

I replaced my air filter a while back but there was no noticeable difference, let us know how much the fuel filter helps if you decide to try it out.
FallenHero
agreed, I get a bit over 20 also. frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif I think it's the O2 sensors though.
Kwanza26
Honestly speaking... 20 mpg or so is very very poor. Your cars may need some serious tune ups. My Celica got 38-40 mpg during a road trip last summer... and still currently gets well over 30 mpg around town... Time for a tune up perhaps?

Oh yeah... and I drive the crap out of my cars... ;]
Batman722
Something is definatly wrong. I get 33-34 mpg with 148K miles on it. O2 sensor, fuel filter, and tune up ASAP.
Mr_E
For reference, I rarely see over 30mpg. 20-22 is very very normal. 7mpg is my record.

And UK gallons are bigger as well.

I'd debating attaching a bucket to the tail pipe to catch all the unburnt fuel it spits out.
Kwanza26
QUOTE(Mr_E @ Dec 17, 2004 - 1:29 PM)
For reference, I rarely see over 30mpg. 20-22 is very very normal. 7mpg is my record.

And UK gallons are bigger as well.

I'd debating attaching a bucket to the tail pipe to catch all the unburnt fuel it spits out.
[right][snapback]222749[/snapback][/right]

Yeah... but these are 7AFE engines we're talking about here... You have a gas guzzleing snail... ;] Also, I don't think the UK has as many long straight roads as in the US so you don't get as good of cruising MPG also... =P
Mr_E
The man has a point.....

biggrin.gif
soltrain
augh! i just checked and I get about 18mpg. 18! ...maybe my o2 is bad after all.
Drocay
how would i go about checking if the o2 sensor is bad, i don't have a cel going off or anything?
Borrazca
Just saying the same as them all. get a tuneup. only reason i'm really posting is to say that i drive a 94 gt stick and i have probably worse habits than you as with the aggressive accel on a green light and about 100 down freeways. i run a 30/10 back and forth to school everyday. I get about a week of driving on 20$ of gas (2.18 over here when i tested). Round about 27mpg
vangSTa_celica
I just went from Oshkosh to the Metrodome in Saint Paul this weeknd back and forth and filled up twice. Averaged about 35 mpg. smile.gif

EDIT: That's with 165,600 miles too.
toyotatech3
i get about 27 mpg city and about 35 hwy, and i drive it hard!
97sccelica
QUOTE(Kwanza26 @ Dec 16, 2004 - 3:58 PM)
Honestly speaking... 20 mpg or so is very very poor.  Your cars may need some serious tune ups.  My Celica got 38-40 mpg during a road trip last summer... and still currently gets well over 30 mpg around town...  Time for a tune up perhaps?

Oh yeah... and I drive the crap out of my cars... ;]
[right][snapback]222502[/snapback][/right]

ain't that the truth

i got 25mpg in the city when my ST was turboed!

currently my sister is getting like 21 mpg. thats just horrible. i assume its her driving, but i will change out the plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and maybe even the o2 sensor.

btw, my wrx gets 21-22mpg in the city, and believe me, there are times when i really get into it. lowest mpg i got was 16mpg, but that was for the very first tank, which included the test drive, and showing everyone what the car had.

30mpg on the freeways
exxtractor
Lab vs Reallife

Spoke to the Toyota service rep., he suggested that you are better to compare to vehicles of the same age and model, then the quoted stats from Toyota. So looking at my post, we have: exxtractor (me), dstrbcelica, drocay, funnyboy, fallenhero and MrE (not sure model) who are all reporting real world fuel economy of around 20-21 MPG. I don't think I'm really that worried since it seems for many of us with the 7AFE 1.8L from 94/95 this is probably ok. Sure you are always going to get someone who gets 30 MPG with their 94/95. But to spend the cash to replace the fuel filter, oxygen sensors, and a tune-up on a 10 year-old vehicle... I'd rather not. I'm just going to do my routine maintenace and hopefully I can get anotehr 2 years and then I'll buy a new car.
FallenHero
dude... I can smell gas in my exhaust when the car is running. it's so flaimin out of tune you could blow fire out the tail pipe.

Jon= getting the car worked on after brakes are installed.)
Drocay
but do any of u guys know how i could check to see if o2 sensor is problem its kinda expensive to just buy one and wing it and then not know which o2 sensor is causein the problem.

thanx.
LatinKraze
Remove it and you can see how dirty and cloged it is. I eye balled mine and changed them. They were rusted over and all nasty lookin. Otherwise, wait for the CEL light.
1900WattCelica
QUOTE(exxtractor @ Dec 21, 2004 - 7:51 PM)
Lab vs Reallife

Spoke to the Toyota service rep., he suggested that you are better to compare to vehicles of the same age and model, then the quoted stats from Toyota.  So looking at my post, we have: exxtractor (me), dstrbcelica, drocay, funnyboy, fallenhero and MrE (not sure model) who are all reporting real world fuel economy of around 20-21 MPG.  I don't think I'm really that worried since it seems for many of us with the 7AFE 1.8L from 94/95 this is probably ok.  Sure you are always going to get someone who gets 30 MPG with their 94/95.  But to spend the cash to replace the fuel filter, oxygen sensors, and a tune-up on a 10 year-old vehicle... I'd rather not.  I'm just going to do my routine maintenace and hopefully I can get anotehr 2 years and then I'll buy a new car.
[right][snapback]224738[/snapback][/right]

Even still 20 is ridiculous. As far as the cash goes if you spend maybe 300 bucks for all the stuff needed for a tuneup and DIY, you will save easily over that amount of gas in the 2 more years you plan on keeping the car. How many miles does your car have now? If you keep up on planned maintenance....not just regular maintenance, your going to keep your car operating at maximum performance. You mentioned you got the plugs and wires done at 97,000 so Im guessing you dont have much more than that. My 94 ST auto when it had 103,000 averaged 32mpg.

As far as the lab vs real world mpg....I now have a 5 speed GT. Toyota says 22 city, 28 highway. In summer I AVERAGED 29mpg. Now I average 27. My car has 105,000 miles.
dstrbcelica
*bump*

my problem seems to be fixed. i just flushed the fuel system. everything seems to be in working order again.

-dstrb
Drocay
really man, that sounds great wut mpg are u getting as of now.
dstrbcelica
QUOTE(Drocay @ Jan 1, 2005 - 1:24 AM)
really man, that sounds great wut mpg are u getting as of now.
[right][snapback]228771[/snapback][/right]

iono...i still haven't filled it all the way yet. but, it's better. i'll bump this again after i've gone through a full tank.

-dstrb
D4W5
cant you just try a higher octane,i might try an fit a octane converter,it fits on the fuel line after the filter and converts 96 octane to 99,costs 55,might be worth it,any way what are you guys complaining about,at least you dont pay 0.79 per litre,that works out about 40 per tank,scandelouse!!!!
Drocay
any updates man.
FallenHero
I ran a fuel system cleaner... I got about 250 miles on that tank... didn't work. Next= O2 sensors.
rocky2006
let us know if it works. i got 21.4 mpg on my last tank with a brand new air filter. not very good, huh.
Rjb23
Check your tire pressure, that has alot to do with fuel mileage. I got 390 miles last week on 13 gallons, so I got about 30 mpg.
rocky2006
does the car have a tire pressure reccommendation or should i go by the tires' specs? the 21.4mpg was only city driving but it's still terrible.
FallenHero
I have larger tires on my car and I still get bad mpg. It has to be the O2. Or I need to reset my ECU and see what happens.
rocky2006
resetting the ecu didnt help for **** for me.
LatinKraze
I did a full tune up a few weeks ago and the MPG didnt change. Imma try fuel filter in the near future.
LewFX
i thought the fuel tank held 15 gallons not 13
Drocay
yup holds 15 light turns on at 12 with 3 gallon reserve.
Digndoug
It has a 16 gallon tank. but yes 3 left after the lights on.

I just replaced my fuel filter pcv valve and injector cleaner. It seems to run better and smother and accel a lil faster.. but not to much of a notice.. Hopfully it will help with milage.

Also why are there two posts about this fuel ?
LatinKraze
This one was brought back from 2003. The other thread is recent.
LewFX
I've never seen my gas light go on when my tank is near the end or I just dont let it get that low, once its below that last line, I refill.
97sccelica
QUOTE(D4W5 @ Jan 1, 2005 - 2:51 PM)
cant you just try a higher octane,i might try an fit a octane converter,it fits on the fuel line after the filter and converts 96 octane to 99,costs 55,might be worth it,any way what are you guys complaining about,at least you dont pay 0.79 per litre,that works out about 40 per tank,scandelouse!!!!
[right][snapback]228878[/snapback][/right]

converts octane? yea, i'll believe that when i see real proof, other than claims from the company.
rocky2006
i recently installed a new air filter, and today i put in a new fuel filter and oil filter and i changed my oil. ill see if that helps out at all. what does a pcv valve do?
Batman722
pcv = Positive Crankcase Ventitation
dstrbcelica
mine still sucks. tune up is next..after i get my springs and shocks on. wink.gif

-dstrb
rocky2006
after what i did, i went from 21.4 to 24.2 mpg but i did more highway driving so its not too accurate. can plugs be the problem? i dont know if my plugs have been changed at all. i bought the car with 59k and it now has 64k. how much should i expect to pay for new plugs (performance in mind too) and how often should they be replaced?
FallenHero
irridium=$40ish dollers. You can install them yourself.

Stock plugs(all you really need) =10-$15 tops from toyota
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.