Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting 3sgte project
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
94silverst
Hey everyone!

Well my 7afe is finally giving out! I cracked a few piston rods and now can finally start my new 3sgte project. But before I start, I have a few questions: (keep in mind that I don't know a whole lot about engines but will be working with a mechanic on the swap)

1) How hard is it to make the motor mounts for the 3sgte? Should I do it myself or take it some where?

2) Are 3sgte eBay engines reliable?

3) What tranny should I use and is it an easy swap?

I have looked though past posts, and found some facts leading to some of the answers, but would really like to clear it up 100%.

Thanks everyone!! smile.gif

Would this be a good buy?
eBay
biglipzit
I doubt you could just use the existing mounts and drill holes for them onto the frame of your vehicle. I think mounts must be custom fabricated and engine position is a big factor. I am not too sure but i think you can either use the 5sfe or 3sgte tranny but i think for a FF vehicle u would be better using a 5sfe tranny unless u got the engine out of a GT-4. An MR2 tranny wont work. It would be better bringing it to a shop but never heard of 7afe to 3sgte swaps before. Wouldn't u rather do a 20valve 4age swap? It would be easier and cheaper on you. I havent heard anything about the ebay engines. I doubt much people buy from them but they do have warranties which should make it safe to try them.
csnow
If the mechanic has never done it before, you may end up with a lot of trouble with the ECU and wiring harness. The motor mounts have to be moved and you will need the tranny that comes with the 3S clip. Get the MR2 if possible as it is a better tranny. I would play it safe and ship the car to a place that has done it before. These are the guys that I will be getting to do my 7AFE swap.

HTH,

http://www.xatracing.com/
sphinx
It seems that nobody has answered yet, so here goes.

question 1

You don't have to make motor mounts for the swap. I had a 7afe aswell, and I used the motor mounts from a celica GT (5sfe). That's what I did, and that was last year when i was using the GT tranny. Right now I have the mounts from a GT4 in the front, rear, and driver side, but I'm using the tranny from a 91 MR2 Turbo.

question 2

3SGTE's from ebay might be reliable, but the only problem is that you NEVER get exactly what you need for the swap. They usually just sell you the engine alone, when you also need the harness, resistors, AFM, ect... Your best bet (everyone will tell you this) is to go buy a clip.

question 3

This is something that you need to decide on your own. What I can do is just show you want options you have.

Option 1 : 5SFE tranny is the most common one that people use. I used it when I first did my swap. Now EVERYONE has there own opinion about it. Some Love it, some hate it. Personally, I hate it. I blew 2 GT tranny's before i got the MR2 tranny. I'm running it at 15psi, and the tranny's just could'nt handdle it. Others will tell you they can take the extra juice, but like i said at the beginning, it's up to you which tranny you want to use. For this tranny, you will need the driver side motor mount and bracket from a GT.
Option 2 : MR2 Turbo tranny is a reliable tranny. This is the one I'm currently using, and it's amazing. The only thing is that you have to source out a few extra parts in order to have it work properly. For this tranny, to my understanding, you have to use the mount and motor mount bracket from a GT4 or All track. That's what I'm using, but if you can use a different setup, some else here will mention it.

I hope this helps some. If someone wants to object to what I've said, please go ahead. He needs all the help he can get. Good luck with the swap.

Pablo
sphinx
QUOTE(biglipzit @ Jan 6, 2005 - 4:15 PM)
It would be better bringing it to a shop but never heard of 7afe to 3sgte swaps before. [right][snapback]230809[/snapback][/right]

look at my profile
Digndoug
QUOTE(biglipzit @ Jan 7, 2005 - 12:15 AM)
I doubt you could just use the existing mounts and drill holes for them onto the frame of your vehicle. I think mounts must be custom fabricated and engine position is a big factor. I am not too sure but i think you can either use the 5sfe or 3sgte tranny but i think for a FF vehicle u would be better using a 5sfe tranny unless u got the engine out of a GT-4. An MR2 tranny wont work. It would be better bringing it to a shop but never heard of 7afe to 3sgte swaps before. Wouldn't u rather do a 20valve 4age swap? It would be easier and cheaper on you. I havent heard anything about the ebay engines. I doubt much people buy from them but they do have warranties which should make it safe to try them.
[right][snapback]230809[/snapback][/right]

HaHa, seems like u got ur sheat all backwords an screwed up.
94silverst
Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone. Thanks sphinx for the details! I hope I will accomplish this soon! Please keep posting I would like to hear everyones opinion!! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.