Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swap parts list
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Yota
For my 3SGTE swap, I have the motor (NEVERSTOP's), MR2T transmission,GT Motor Mounts, FMIC, GT Koyo Radiator, and a Blitz Turbo Timer.

I know that I need:
- Axles (MR2T inner halfshafts/88-91 V6 Camry outer halfshafts)
- Boost Controller (Apexi)
- Gauges (Oil Pressure, Boost, Water Temp)
- Wiring Harness extended
- Throttle Linkage (custom)
- Shift Linkage (custom)
- Supra TT Fuel Pump
- New Clutch
- New Exhaust (3")

Am I forgetting anything? My Celica is an ST so I don't know what would need to be done that would be different from a GT other than the mounts.

Also, with the MR2T transmission, what modifications need to be made to have it work in the Celica besides the axles modifications?
Rjb23
I think if you use the mr2 tranny you need the gt4 motor mounts.
jgreening
Yota, you may want to post on celicatech.com for the MR2T tranny swap. Also, talk to Supersprynt and celica3sgte as they have been doing a lot of research on the tranny swap too.

Also, Chris Detrich over there is EXTREMELY knowledgable and he is now doing swap wiring for about $350-$450. I think DG Performance might also be doing wiring harnesses.

On the camry half shafts, look for posts from Kuya1284 on this website to confirm that I got the years right.

You might want to invest in a HKS FCD for $100 which will allow you to safely boost to 15psi. There are instructions on mr2oc.com to make one for about $8 but my local radio shack didn't have all the necessary parts so I just bought the HKS one.

Are you going to replace the stock cats? Since you are in the greater Chicagoland area, you probably have emissions check, no? If not, getting a downpipe would be a good move. Aussie makes a good 3" if you are going to stick with a CT-26 or CT20b. If you are thinking about upgrading turbos, you might want to wait because a downpipe will differ depending on the turbo. Also, if you get a downpipe, you might want to wait until you have a turbo with an external waste gate to eliminate any potential boost creep problems. You may want to talk with Doge who has a 2.5" KO downpipe with his JDM ct-26 and see if he has any creep issues.

You might want to consider a Blitz EBC rather than the Apexi. The MR2 guys rave about them and its what I am getting. There is a 1/4 DIN unit one for about $300.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Jay.
lagos
one tip i would like to give you is not to buy any toys untill the motor is up and running. you dont need any boost controllers, turbo timers or fuel cut defenders.

ive talked to a few swapers that ended up having to totally rebuild their motors and do other crazy stuff that they never expected. so save as much money as you can cause those type of things can come up

after you get the motor in and verify thats everything is good, figure out what type of intercooler you will be running and do that as your 1st mod.

check out this site for detailed swap info for the ST:
http://www.geocities.com/zegoat2000/HOMEPAGE.html
Yota
JGreening-

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

I have a guy here in town that was able to re map his wiring harness in an SR20 swap for his 240sx. He and I will work on the wiring as soon as we can.

I will check on the correct years for the camry halfshafts and confrim your response.

Thats a good idea on the HKS FCD, I'll look into it. I'd personally rather have a brand name FCD than a homemade one for reliability purposes.

I will replace one of the cats, the secondary one I will leave out. I don't have to have any emissions checks so it shouldn't be an issue. I live in the Quad Cities if you know where that is and I've never had an emissions check ran on my cars.

Where do I get an Aussie Downpipe? I plan on keeping the motor exactly how it is for a while. It's NEVERSTOPs motor, you may remember talking to him a bit about this motor at our Midwest Meet up in Starved Rock this past October.

What does the Blitz EBC have over the Apexi EBC? I will look into it because it seems cheaper as well.

Lagos-
Thank you for the tip. What I plan on doing this month, is having all new gaskets replaced in the motor. Everything so far has checked out to be fine. I am not doing the swap, my mechanic is and he's reputable for odd-balls swaps including a TT swap into an N/A 300ZX.

I'm only using the toys to help keep the motor stable, as it is a daily driver for the next year or so.

I already have my front mount intercooler. It will be my first mod.

Can anyone verify Rjb23's response about the GT4 motor mounts on an MR2T transmission?

Thanks for your help, all
jgreening
Oh, I forgot the obvious:

Plugs, wires, hoses, oil, filter, belts (expecially timing belt), I would also do a coolant flush if the engine has been sitting for awhile.
jgreening
Here is the link for the Aussie downpipe. Talk with Tim at Aussie first and tell him what you have (e.g. second gen swap in a 6th gen celica) to make sure this is the one you want:

Aussie Downpipe

As for the Blitz EBC, all I can tell you is that its what almost all the "experts" on mr2oc.com recommend. My understanding is that it is easy to use/read, holds boost well, and is accurate.
Yota
The motor has brand new nology hotwire, and I was going to put on fresh belts, plugs and hoses anyways.

What does the Aussie downpipe cost roughly?

I found a hks fcd on ebay. I think ill pick it up, thanks!

Would you agree with Lagos advice to get the motor running first before installing this stuff?
lagos
the downpipe is the only mod i wish i had done with the motor out, just because its so easy and while you are doing that, you can replace the hose from hell and TQ down your manifold to spec. dont forget a new thermostat too.

gauges are a good idea too, cause you can tell how your motor is running.
Yota
is there a specific thermostat I should get?
jgreening
Would you agree with Lagos advice to get the motor running first before installing this stuff?

Well, first let me say that you should go with Lagos on any install advice over mine since I did not install. I am just a methodical researcher and that only goes so far. Guys that have the experience doing these things are to be respected. That said, I agree about boost controller, FCD, Turbo Timer can wait until everything is running properly. I do think doing the intercooler and downpipe right away makes sense.
Yota
It would make sense to have it done while the car is apart, though. Would an S-AFC be something I should think about putting in?
shid
QUOTE(jgreening @ Jan 10, 2005 - 4:23 AM)

I do think doing the intercooler and downpipe right away makes sense.
[right][snapback]231834[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, there's no reason why those parts shouldn't go on the car right away; not MUCH can go wrong with them, besides a leaky intercooler or a busted BOV; and thats not going to effect the engine in the same way that a messed up timer install can.

While it might seem best to try and do everything at once (it is certainly more efficient) sometimes it's a good idea to do one thing at a time, that way you can pinpoint problems before they become big problems- if you install 12 aftermarket parts and your engine doesn't start- why? If you've just finished installing your turbo timer (thats all) it becomes a whole lot easier to troubleshoot- which is something that I understand happens a lot with 3sgte swaps (troubleshooting) even if everything is in perfect order.

nvm, DON'T think about an SAFC. Was unaware they don't play nice with 3sgte ECU.
Yota
what about installing gauges along with the intercooler and downpipe?
lagos
yota....do more research before you start buying brand name stuff just to slap on. there is no reason to get an safc. infact most mr2 guy recomend against it, because of how the 3sgte ecu acts with one installed. remember, this is a factory turbo motor, the 3s ecu and motoro were built for boost, and dont need an safc to run correctly.

your main goal should be to get the engine in, and have it running like a stock alltrac would. did you figure out who will do your wiring for you?
Supersprynt
I had the MR2 tranny swap posts saved, however Celica.net has gone kaboom so everything is now changed to Celicatech.com. I have it saved I will post some pics and info about the MR2 tranny swap.

I did not create this information: this was something I found on Celica.net:

Parts that need swapping with Alltrac E153 tranny:
user posted image

Instructions on swap:
If you look at the pic this is what u have to do:

-remove the green thing which is the bracket for the gear shifter cables from the alltrac tranny and put it onto the mr2 one.
-unbolt the bolts in the red and yellow square and remove the entire yellow/red/purple sections on the alltrac tranny. When u remove the red bit the shift linkage comes out of the gb. For it to come out you need to remove the bolts in the pink box.

-u need to remove the red bit in the mr2 tranny but this has nothing coming out of it. The shifter stuff comes out of the opposite end. To get this out u need to cut of the shifter stuff and then u can pull it out. Replace this all with the alltrac stuff and cover the whole at the opposite side where the alltrac linkage came out of (use a coin or something).

- u need to make holes for the bolts in the yellow square to go into. The space is there, just
make a hole and tread it.

As for the axles.....

After searching everywhere on the internet and asking alot of people questions of which axles to use with the 3sgte swap with a E-153 MR2 turbo/Solara tranny...I was finally able to get the right information and this is how you do it:
1)Look on Car-part.com or at junk yards for these parts:
a)1991-95 MR2 turbo intermediate axle w/ carrier bearing or purchase the entire passenger side axle if you want to be sure to get all the parts and driver side axle(you will need the inner shaft which inserts into the transmission)
b)1990-93 All-trac front axles for driver and passenger sides( they are actually identical in everyway)...make sure you find out if your car has ABS and order the axles pertaining to your car if it equipped with ABS or not. I am not sure if there is a difference but it would be a waste of time and money if it was.
2)The driver side all-trac axle was simple. There are 6 allen wrench bolts which hold together the inner shaft to the axle shaft on the MR2 turbo driver side axle. Place the piece with those 6 bolts into a big vice and get a allen wrench and a long pipe to get some leverage on those bolts.
3)After you have taken out all the 6 bolts, loosen the vice and seperate the two pieces. You should now have the MR2 turbo driver side axle in 2 pieces.
4)Place the Driver side MR2 turbo axle (HUB end) on the side and place the all-trac axle (HUB end) lining up the 6 bolts onto the MR2 turbo inner shaft end. Torque down those bolts.
5)At this point you should have the hub disconnected from the steering and the strut. Place the inner shaft into the transmission and shake it and turn it until you feel it pop into place. Then lift the hub and insert the shaft into the hub. BTW...All-tracs,GTs,and GT-S' all have the same hubs so the all-trac axle should fit perfectly with no problem. Torque everything down.
6)Now for the passenger side which is a little bit more work but basically the same idea as in instructions #2-#4. You dont need to do any work to the intermediate/center shaft. You will see the same 6 allen wrench bolts and you will swap the MR2 turbo outer with the all-trac outer.
7)Installing the passenger side is easier if you have someone help you hold the outside end while you push,turn and wiggle the shaft into the transmission.
8)when you feel the shaft pop into place line up the carrier bearing to the engine block and place 2 bolts. (It is obvious where you will see the holes line up for the bolts)
9)Make sure you install the support bar that bolts to the carrier bearing and the engine block for added support.You may have to pick up that stay/support bar seperately from the dealer or if you are lucky it will come with the MR2 turbo axles.
10)Same thing before with reassembling the hub end and voila! You have a working axle setup with a MR2 turbo/Solara tranny.
jgreening
I would never buy a SAFC for a 3sgte. If you want fuel control, get a stand alone or at least some black box that can control timing. You definitely do not need to worry about that right away.
presure2
one thing i dont see is all the motor accesories, like ignitor, resitor packs, afm,ect.. you need all that stuff too....like lagos said, forget all that little extra crap for now, you need to focus on getting everything in and running properly first.
the SAFC is a no no on the 3s forget about that too.
you need to spend some time reasearching this project.
spend the money on GOOD gauges, and mainetinace on the motor. IE belts ,hoses, waterpump ect...do the hoses from hell while the engine is out...ect
if you havent yet get the BGB ASAP.
good luck! smile.gif
shid
no! dont think about the SAFC! bad bad bad bad! (corrected)

however, like i did say, think about something that can do your engine management for you.
Yota
Presure- I have the afm, ignitor and resistor packs and everything else. I am changing the belts and hoses and pumps and such as well. I'm deciding whether to buy the Autometer C2s or Nexus gauges when they come out? Any other suggestions? I'm using three gauges: Oil pressure, Water Temp, and Boost.

Lagos- I have been talking to people about swapping jdm turbo motors and one of the first things they told me was to get an SAFC. I'm not looking to throw brand name stuff on the car just to have it, I want anything that will make it run smooth. I need it reliable. I have a friend here in town that has a degree with wiring diagramming. He is going to help me with the harness. He rebuilt his harness from his SR20 swap, I have confidence that he knows what he is doing. Plus, Kung Fu on these boards is selling me his uncut harness, so all that needs to be done is lengthen those wires.

SuperSprynt- Thank you for your post with the Transmission information!
Supersprynt
You dont have to lengthen the wires wink.gif
Drill a hole in the firewall - creates less problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.