Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo psi/hp ratio
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
urbandork
First off let me say i have searched and gathered lots of info but i still have some questions as sometimes the truth was confusing.

First off what’s the highest psi I can run on a stock 5sfe. My engine has been rebuilt to an extent. Rings and a new crank as well as other tide bits. Would i need to build up my engine even for lower end psi numbers and if so what would i need to beef up?

What HP numbers would I be looking at if i run 5psi 8psi and so on?

The car would be a daily driver what would be a good boost and what would i get hp wise.

i have figured that with a N/A set up with CAI header and exhaust id be getting maybe 20 more hp so around 150. (CA stock is 130). I’ve been wondering if its worth the trouble to go turbo or if i should just stick with N/A.

thanks in advanced

Digndoug
I surely dont think just a cai header and exhaust will give u 20hp.
urbandork
lol well tahts beside the point perhaps its more like 15 ish.

My real questions are about the turbo and what hp ill be looking at when running certain psi and also what might need to be changed to beef up the engine if needed at higer psi.
dstrbcelica
QUOTE(urbandork @ Feb 10, 2005 - 11:06 PM)

dude..i don't think so. maybe like 5-7hp, 10 max.

-dstrb
Mynzeyes
QUOTE(dstrbcelica @ Feb 10, 2005 - 11:08 PM)
QUOTE(urbandork @ Feb 10, 2005 - 11:06 PM)

dude..i don't think so. maybe like 5-7hp, 10 max.

-dstrb
[right][snapback]244661[/snapback][/right]

...if that...

<3 jeff <3
SlowCelica94
Just get nitrous. I feel it's a better choice over boost. I'm actually buying another nitrous kit
urbandork
lol ok besides the point of the NA stuff im mainly intrested in the Turbo specx.

Please no more about the NA i get the point. Infact now i want to Turbo as i can see that going NA will not get me a good HP to cash ratio.

I have found what ive been looking for for the hp and psi stuff but now my question is about if i can run boost on a stock 5sfe and if so what are my limits.
shid
yeah, and dude, honestly, that must have been one crappy search, if you can't find our speculative max boost limits for the 5sfte. Our guesses in the past have ranged from 8-11 psi. for daily driving wink.gif
urbandork
no no i got that far but i would assume that there are internals that probably need to be changed. I didnt get any of that from the sticky.

Or is it that a stock 5sfe can take boost with little worry.

It seems like all you got to do is slap on the turbo stuff some stuff for fuel delever and start boosting.

prpnum1
Would THIS be a good turbo to get?
presure2
QUOTE(prpnum1 @ Feb 11, 2005 - 2:53 AM)
Would THIS be a good turbo to get?
[right][snapback]244716[/snapback][/right]

IMO any straight T3 with under a 60trim compressor wheel is gonna get choked at higher RPM by the 5s..
urban..its hard to give rock solid #s, cause everyones setups vary so much...i'd say most guys run somewhere between 7-12lbs...as far as HP #'s...there isnt may guys here with dyno time...so its hard to say...id guess the basic setup is good for around 160-200hp depending on boost level.
Supersprynt
QUOTE(urbandork @ Feb 10, 2005 - 11:11 PM)
First off let me say i have searched and gathered lots of info but i still have some questions as sometimes the truth was confusing.

First off what’s the highest psi I can run on a stock 5sfe. My engine has been rebuilt to an extent. Rings and a new crank as well as other tide bits. Would i need to build up my engine even for lower end psi numbers and if so what would i need to beef up?

What HP numbers would I be looking at if i run 5psi 8psi and so on?

The car would be a daily driver what would be a good boost and what would i get hp wise.

i have figured that with a N/A set up with CAI header and exhaust id be getting maybe 20 more hp so around 150. (CA stock is 130). I’ve been wondering if its worth the trouble to go turbo or if i should just stick with N/A.

thanks in advanced
[right][snapback]244624[/snapback][/right]

First off, you cant have 2 first offs, ones gotta be a second off.

Then - safe psi varies. Depends on supporting mods, cooling, exhaust, compression of each individual cylinder, wear and tear on the engine. Theres no standard for these things because so many diffferent things can cause problems. If I were to guess at a safe psi, I'd get <6psi. 20hp with cai head and exhaust is very liberal, your looking at 8 or so. Remember we dont drive highly restrictive hondas, parts like these dont do the same as they do to hondas.

A T3 has more than enough flow for a 2.2L - 3sgte people upgrade to T3 so its not going to get choked or anything, especially a 60 trim and the levels of boost your going to be running.

The biggest killer of engines is detonation, so get a good intercooler and sufficient fuel system. You'd look at a 50-70hp increase, depending on what else you have and what pressure you run.
presure2
super..ive never seen a 3s with a STRAIGHT t3 on it...have you ever ploted over a T3 compressor map? @ 8psi even with a 60trim...your off the map by 5000rpm..not where you wanna be...now a T3/4...thats alot more common..and a better choice for the 3s..or the 5s for that matter..
Supersprynt
Mroe common but he's gotta 5s, a bigger turbo means he needs bigger everything else. IDK if he's in for that.
shid
but super, what pressure and I are saying is that the T3 is a little small for a 3sgte, and more than a bit small for the 5sfe- unless you get a huge one (which they make... which I find weird)
Supersprynt
Yeh it'll be a lil small for the top end but buttom he'll have some nice torque figures.

Its not tooo small its just, a "meh" upgrade. (For the 3sgte) I forgot he had a 2.2L...I still think the T3 will be ok, I mean yeah its not big but ppl are putting on stock CT26's with decent figures so T3 isnt going to totally suck.
shid
Yeah, I think after Itchy gets over the spool up time- compared to his old supra CT26 (jesus christo) he won't be happy with it as an upgrade. I think he might lose some top end too- I believe the CT26s on the supras were huge.
Supersprynt
I was under the impression the Supra CT26 is just the same except larger exhaust housing which isnt bolt on to the 3sgte.
urbandork
do you guys think i should go with a ct26 twin entry or a T3.

If i go with teh ct26 ill just get that shinny header for the 3sgte but if its the t3 then ill get that ebay manifold with the rebuilt Garrett T3.

Im looking for a good balance of spool time, topend and lowend hp as well torque. Itll be a daily driver (street LA freeway traffic) so i want to have some torque when the light turns green but dont want to miss out on the boost later on down the line.

shid
Super, I don't know the specifics, but they're PIGS; Itchy's doesn't spool til 4k
urbandork
i think a t3 might be best?
presure2
i DEFINTLY wouldnt go with the T3...its gonna be working REAL hard @ 8-12lbs ...your gonna choke it on the top end, and to get power outta it, your gonna have to run higher boost. higher boost on the 3s is ok...on the 5s its BAD
with the smaller your turbo,intake charge is gonna be a good deal hotter also.
if you ask me, a really good choice for the 5s would be a T3/To4E 46trim...
the plot on that map starts off decent at 7psi and just gets better and better as you up the boost, all the way up to and past 15psi wink.gif
IMO you want somthing thats gonna give you decent spool and still allow you to meet your power goals at the LOWEST boost level possible.
shid
QUOTE(presure2 @ Feb 11, 2005 - 8:53 PM)
i DEFINTLY wouldnt go with the T3...its gonna be working REAL hard @ 8-12lbs ...your gonna choke it on the top end, and to get power outta it, your gonna have to run higher boost. higher boost on the 3s is ok...on the 5s its BAD
with the smaller your turbo,intake charge is gonna be a good deal hotter also.
if you ask me, a really good choice for the 5s would be a T3/To4E 46trim...
the plot on that map starts off decent at 7psi and just gets better and better as you up the boost, all the way up to and past 15psi  wink.gif
IMO you want somthing thats gonna give you decent spool and still allow you to meet your power goals at the LOWEST boost level possible.
[right][snapback]244970[/snapback][/right]

^ second that notion; this is what I've been planning to run
urbandork
T3/To4E 46trim (thats the same as a t3 t4 evolution right? searching now) I recall this being able to bolt up to a t3 manifold right?

Ive been reading and looking around and i know that the ct26 doesnt have good numbers past 8 psi or so, but what caught my eye was this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

I mean isnt that jsut sexy and wouldnt that add mad style points. lol

Looks beside Ive been reading and a lot of ppl say the ct26 is sucky and others say its good. The highest ill be boosting is 10 psi.

nik
i saw that a few days ago i would jump on the 200 one it comes with a DP also good deal while it lasts

QUOTE(urbandork @ Feb 11, 2005 - 2:27 PM)
T3/To4E 46trim (thats the same as a t3 t4 evolution right? searching now) I recall this being able to bolt up to a t3 manifold right?

Ive been reading and looking around and i know that the ct26 doesnt have good numbers past 8 psi or so, but what caught my eye was this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

I mean isnt that jsut sexy and wouldnt that add mad style points. lol

Looks beside Ive been reading and a lot of ppl say the ct26 is sucky and others say its good. The highest ill be boosting is 10 psi.
[right][snapback]244979[/snapback][/right]

prpnum1
what else would have to be "made bigger" for the t3/to4E turbo?
urbandork
i was thinking for cost reasons i think im guna run that ebay manifold and down pipe with a ct26 twin entry ceramic trubo and run it at 8 psi.

Just a question. I wouldnt mind having something that spools up quicly over something that doesnt. How would a ct26 spool be compared to the t3t40 set up.
Doge
That manifold and downpipe is complete overkill for what you're trying to do. The stock 3s manifold creates no restrictions untill you get well over the power capabilities of the 5s. Also... the ct26 is still very efficient up until around 14psi... which is around around the 5s threshhold. I wouldnt spend any more money than you have to... whats the point in having all that power potential that your motor cant utilize without more money dumped into it? On the other hand that manifold is SUUUPER sexy! biggrin.gif
urbandork
I c your point. But if i can pick it up for under 300 i might just do that. Like you said supppper sexy lol. but if its any higher the 300 ill just find a stock exhaust manifold.

btw at this point can i call it a header still?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.