Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car Sharing:Lamest Idea!
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
coustoe
Car Sharing

yes yes, you pay a hourly rate of $7.50 to $12 to drive a car, supposedly government loves it because its supposed to cut down on traffic.

How does it work, there are cars located at specific spots in the city, if they are not in use you can drive, supposedly the attracters say it cuts down on traffic and is cheaper to drive then a car which they say cost ($708) a month to drive? huh?

okay this is just the lamest idea ever, I guess they do it in europe so somehow its supposed to work in the commuter hell of america.

First off convenience factor, there is none, this system only works for urbanites who sit in their lame apartments all day long and never get out. Second you can get a decent car with 30+ mpg with liabilty insurance and its only gonna cost you maybe $150 a month to drive. Third if your that desperate about gas and maintenance all that other crap, then get something better then a stupid rent a car, get a motorcycle.

Finished with my rant this is the most Stupid Idea Eva!!!!
orvillescelica
Ive seen the Flexcars around Seattle now and then. I think its a decent idea for those who think its a good idea. Like you said, for those who live in cities and hardly use a car, this can be a good idea and a convience if they need a car every now and then.

No ones forcing you to use this service. So really, why is there so much anger?
coustoe
QUOTE(orvillescelica @ Feb 19, 2005 - 6:41 PM)
Ive seen the Flexcars around Seattle now and then. I think its a decent idea for those who think its a good idea. Like you said, for those who live in cities and hardly use a car, this can be a good idea and a convience if they need a car every now and then.

No ones forcing you to use this service. So really, why is there so much anger?
[right][snapback]248044[/snapback][/right]

ha, im not angry i just think its one of those ideas you hear about and go "geesh thats the most stupid idea i've ever heard", yes its not bad for people like in new yorkcity where no one drives or ever leaves the city in their life, but I've constantly been hearing about this as the next big thing, and you can tell by the slant of the stories that it seems to be a combination of greenies and big government on a propaganda crusade.

I guess you think its the next best thing?
Pali_playa
i think its a good idea
Hanyo
i think these cars are going to be a target for vandolism(sp?).

in the end its just gonna cost more to maintian then to have it working.

shid
Uhh dude, are you crazy? I heard about this a while ago, and it ranks up with some of the best ideas I've ever heard. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

I wish I had thought it up, it's genious.

I don't get what your problem with it is, or even why you say it's the lamest idea ever. For people who live in say, NY NY, where parking alone can cost 100+ a month, insurance is high and so is gas- its a great idea and a cheap one.
creis
They had a few stations for them at the wamu tower in seattle where I worked last summer, they where always rented out, so some people seem to like them.

its a good idea/compotition for rental cars, I dont like the idea of not driving my own car, but for someone who does not care or is in need of a car for a few hours, its great.
coustoe
ya renting a car like a lexus or supra for a few hours would be great! or maybe just a van to move stuff. but the bigger idea is, they want everyone whos live in cities or close to cities to get rid of their cars and just rent them instead.

But the whole convenience premise is wrong though, in all the stories or propaganda they always have some old women who never leaves her apartment or a housewife, or some socialite that hardly ever needs a car.
So you might ask how do you get to your rent a car? uhhhhh yaaaa if your lucky you just walk a few miles if not you take a taxi to the nearest one. oh so your at point A and youve gone in to watch a movie, but hey you come back out and someone at Point A has takenyour car!! whos also a member of rent a car. Gee doesnt that defeat the idea of convenience, or maybe you could just decide to keep renting the thing non stop for your 5 hour event at the park with your family.

So trying to apply this idea to the average person who has to coommute and do 10 thousand errands a week and hoping everyone will adopt a rent a car approach is just irrational ignorance, Yes I can see a target market for hour rent a car, but not the great societal transformation some of these people envision
coustoe
hmmm.

Budget rent a car 1 week special $20 a day

Rent a hour Car $10 a hour (drive 1 hour 1 min) pay $20

Yaaaa!!!!!

i hope this catches on so i can get in the business of seperating people from their money
shid
custoe, honestly, read the entire article you're getting this (mis)information out of. it answers your questions.

Also, your $$ is way off the actual prices they charge.

Furthermore, you're still missing the GDP (god damn point) this ISN'T for people who need to commute everyday and need to run 10,000 errands. its NOT for everybody, and thats the genius of it.

You're trying to apply this to situations where it's not meant to- or marketed- to go towards. RTFA

PS: You RESERVE the cars for a specific length of time. While reserved, the cars open for YOU, and YOU only.
coustoe
QUOTE(shid @ Feb 19, 2005 - 9:09 PM)
custoe, honestly, read the entire article you're getting this (mis)information out of. it answers your questions.

Also, your $$ is way off the actual prices they charge.

Furthermore, you're still missing the GDP (god damn point) this ISN'T for people who need to commute everyday and need to run 10,000 errands. its NOT for everybody, and thats the genius of it.

You're trying to apply this to situations where it's not meant to- or marketed- to go towards. RTFA

PS: You RESERVE the cars for a specific length of time. While reserved, the cars open for YOU, and YOU only.
[right][snapback]248087[/snapback][/right]

haha, i made all those points already, so whats your GDP (god damn point). redface.gif

read my post before you get upset smile.gif
shid
You say: they want everyone in these cities to get rid of their cars"

and no, they don't. They want their target audience to. Their target audience isn't everyone.

I don't see why you find this idea so lame.
coustoe
oh i did a lookup up on the location of the cars in my old highly urban dense neighborhood.

The closest car was 3 miles away! Woot!! and the company has its main fleets in arlingont/alexandria virginia, so much for that walk right around t
he block to the car.

and as i said before I dont disagree there is a good market for these cars, especially zipcar.com hell i like the idea of driving a supra, or a nice BMW for a hour or two and the insurance, gas and parking is included, thats a hell of a deal. but if you read the (whole article) like you said and other longer ones like in time magazine you realize that both these companies and government is aiming beyond a niche market fun or leisure market to include the (daily commuter) market. That is what i have been commenting on as lame. because unlike europe people in the us love urban sprawl, they love to flee the cities to their comfy burbs, unless you can convince people to own condos in high rises instead of houses with yards in the burbs. the whole utopia of communal car sharing is just a european urban dream
coustoe
actually if they brought the price down further to like $6.50 a hour this service would be pretty popular.

First time my friend told me about Sattellite radio I said it was a stupid idea, but of course it was like $15 a month then, now its like $9-$8 a month
4wheelWOnder
"gee my car broke down, and now i dont have a ride to work for a week", or "my car is in the shop getting a new paint job; how am i gonna get a ride to work for the next two days?"...........

Simply put, its a smart idea, and its surpirsing to see cities look towards those options........shows how much ppl care for one another.... biggrin.gif
Mr_E
QUOTE(coustoe @ Feb 19, 2005 - 8:27 PM)
okay this is just the lamest idea ever, I guess they do it in europe so somehow its supposed to work in the commuter hell of america.

No we don't.
coustoe
QUOTE(Mr_E @ Feb 21, 2005 - 10:32 AM)
QUOTE(coustoe @ Feb 19, 2005 - 8:27 PM)

No we don't.
[right][snapback]248503[/snapback][/right]

aye, thought everyone likes to walk or use public transit in europe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.