Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good engine for turbo?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Nemises
Im thinkning about grabbing this for my 5sfte project. Opinions negative? positive?
Engine
erics1one
Well starting with a remaned engine is always better than used. But the 5SFE internals are not meant for a turbo application. You will still be rebuilding/replacing down the road.

If you plan to hang on to the 5sfTe for a while, I'd get a used 5S and rebuild it with 3SGTE (or other turbo) internals. It will last you much longer.
Nemises
QUOTE(erics1one @ Mar 9, 2005 - 6:57 PM)
Well starting with a remaned engine is always better than used.  But the 5SFE internals are not meant for a turbo application.  You will still be rebuilding/replacing down the road.

If you plan to hang on to the 5sfTe for a while, I'd get a used 5S and rebuild it with 3SGTE (or other turbo) internals.  It will last you much longer.
[right][snapback]255190[/snapback][/right]

I was going to but no internals yet. Thats why I thought the reman might be good If im not running a crazy psi I should be ok for awhile. I would like to get to the internals next year I got to much other stuff going on know. I have 2500 to work with for know and im going from a 7afe to the 5sfte and im doing all the labor myself so my cash is all for parts.
erics1one
If you can do the labor for the swap and turbo install, then I'm sure doing the internals a little bit down the road won't be an issue for you.

And that engine should be just fine for 6-8lbs, but I just wouldn't expect it to go to 250-300k mi, which some NAs are capable of.
Digndoug
Instead of swaping out the motor for a 5s, why not just pullt he 7a and rebuild now and just turbo that. I think that would be more worth it. Also easier.
BBoYRuGGeD
i thought u were going 3sgte??? confused.gif
Nemises
QUOTE(Digndoug @ Mar 9, 2005 - 7:47 PM)
Instead of swaping out the motor for a 5s, why not just pullt he 7a and rebuild now and just turbo that. I think that would be more worth it. Also easier.
[right][snapback]255198[/snapback][/right]

QUOTE(BBoYRuGGeD @ Mar 9, 2005 - 8:24 PM)
i thought u were going 3sgte???  confused.gif
[right][snapback]255217[/snapback][/right]

Ive thought long and hard about swap options for what im looking for. I was sold on the 3s but when i weighed everything out I have been turned to the darkside. lol... Yeah im into cars and speed an all of that but not nearly as much as I like doing the work. You tell me you had something installed I dont care. You tell me you installed it then well have a conversation. Building a 5sfte seems funner to me than just doing a swap even though theres alot of work involved in each. Im the type once I finish this car I will loss all interest in it probably sell it and build something else. Also I know the 5s engine very well I attended toyota school and that the engine we always practiced on most of the time I actually built 5 or 6 of them in school total rebuild averything spec.

Oh and the 7a I would just rather start with a 2.2 instead of a 1.8
Rjb23
Did you see this yet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7960435911&rd=1
Bigmeanbulldog55
Supercharger kit for a 5S-FE would be the way to go. They sell good quality kits for them too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.