Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i lost by a stock!!!!!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
maikl
a friend of mine got the same car as me an ss-iii he told me that his car is stock that it was with no modifications and told me to race our cars to see the diference my car is an ss-iii with trd iridium spark, with no cat and 2,5' exhaust pipe, jun light flywheel 4,7kg, hks super power flow kit, act six pad racing disc, port, and i got the battery on the back of my car. and for my surpice i lost!!!!!!!!!!!! what wrong have i done? i am very very very down frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif i called my michanic and he told that propoply the exhaust pipes where too big and they dont hold the pressure, or maby my sparks and need to change, what do you thing? i am about to kill my self frown.gif and maby the battery relocated made some hp loss?
97sccelica
did you look at his engine? maybe he lied to you or maybe you cant drive or he is a really really good driver.

your exhaust is at the limit for an NA engine. it isnt too big although taking out the cat does greatly reduce back pressure.

realisitically, you only have 3 mods(light flywheel/clutch, exhaust, and intake) that add a little bit of power that a good driver in a stock car can make up for. the clutch doesnt even really add power, it increases efficiency

practice your driving, get better launches and faster/smoother shifts
Magic
RE...!!!
How did the race started?From which Revs did you start?Dont worry about it re i think you need to know more your car i dont think its a matter of the battery or the 3-10Hp maybe the other guy knows better his car or maybe he was not in stock.Did you ever time your self?When i was driving my prelude i use to rev at 5000RPM!Practice makes it perfect its my opinion.
Screw him next time!!!!!!!!Dont let us down!!!
maikl
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Apr 6, 2003 - 11:16 AM)
did you look at his engine? maybe he lied to you or maybe you cant drive or he is a really really good driver.

your exhaust is at the limit for an NA engine. it isnt too big although taking out the cat does greatly reduce back pressure.

realisitically, you only have 3 mods(light flywheel/clutch, exhaust, and intake) that add a little bit of power that a good driver in a stock car can make up for. the clutch doesnt even really add power, it increases efficiency

practice your driving, get better launches and faster/smoother shifts

i checked his engine, it lookes stock and as for his drivin it sucks!!! i dont know what to do, i am thinking of changing my exhaust pipes to 2" or 2,25" i dont know if that helps my michanic told me to change my sparks and put the spoon sparks that are only for hight compression n/a.......
maikl
QUOTE (Magic @ Apr 6, 2003 - 11:23 AM)
RE...!!!
How did the race started?From which Revs did you start?Dont worry about it re i think you need to know more your car i dont think its a matter of the battery or the 3-10Hp maybe the other guy knows better his car or maybe he was not in stock.Did you ever time your self?When i was driving my prelude i use to rev at 5000RPM!Practice makes it perfect its my opinion.
Screw him next time!!!!!!!!Dont let us down!!!

(Re file then valame pou hame giati exw mono disco agonistiko kai oxi plaka giayto xanoun ligo ta clutch moy valame prwti 4000rpm) greek biggrin.gif i thing that his car is stronger than mine i dont know if i did something to my car and lost some hp
Magic
Hmmmm...How do you know that he dont have ECU or something internal?How was the "Sound" of his car?You lost at High RPMs?Where did you notice that his accelaretion wasnt normal?
maikl
QUOTE (Magic @ Apr 6, 2003 - 11:52 AM)
Hmmmm...How do you know that he dont have ECU or something internal?How was the "Sound" of his car?You lost at High RPMs?Where did you notice that his accelaretion wasnt normal?

he did not let me check his ecu his car was very strong at low rpms could it be possiple his car came with only an ecu from japan with out exhaust or filter? just an ecu?
west_minist
ha ha haha hhahahaahahahaahaaha
smile.gif

His car is stronger down bottom, if everything is stock except muffler/exhaust is due to the fact that your exhause system is to big w/ minor mods to over come that.

Read below.
west_minist
I am very sorry. I cannot help from laughing.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Ok.

Was it the same engine and car as yours?

These are a few things that you have to look at in the race.

1) How does his car sounds
2) Did he do any work to it
3) What tires he have or chassis setup (suspension and so on)
4) How good a drive he is in launching and so on.
5) A little few factor added in light launching rev, clutch release and so many other light high important factors.

For your mods.

trd iridium spark, with no cat and 2,5' exhaust pipe, jun light flywheel 4,7kg, hks super power flow kit, act six pad racing disc, port, and i got the battery on the back of my car. and for my surpice i lost

You have not specified any gauges output in your statement which would be need.

Right now, your exhaut is a little to big for no mods done on the engine. A dyno would help you to tune your exhaust system.

You did not mention your header. (maybe did not change)

Port??? Is your engine ported?

Right now from what you stated, you are setup for highflow. But have the fuel system setup for that? If you running stock ecu with no piggy backs, you are will most probably lose, which you did.

My advice to you is to either buy the Motec4 or 48 or Autronics SM or SM2 for fuel and other management params you will need.

Do not feel bad. Use this experience as a gauge.

Next time, please send in what your (fuel pressure, A/F ratio, Exhaust and engine temp. guages) records.

It would really help detailed people to properly analysis you problem.

So, a lot of questions to be answer with a lot of answers, but right now, you need to provide the answers first.

Good luck smile.gif
west_minist
Advice!

Keep the mods you have.

The pipe size is good.

You just need to enhance your new system flow since it is set to high for stock form

Check my profiles or turbocharge write up for model #.

1) Gauges (A/F, Exhaust temp, Fuel Pressure) from Blitz DC
2) Adjustable Fuel Regutaor from TRD or soem other manufacture that have a build in Fuel pressure gauge.
3) Ignition controller like CraneCam HI6TRC with Nology Hotwires, Nology Profire M80 since you seem to like racing
4) Good tires like Bridgestone RE01, S03

I know that you are getting a computer, you I will not put in a piggy back like Apex Super AFC.

The mods up top will help you. Just do not set the fuel regulator for too much fuel. Check the A/F gauge. You can also increase you timing , maybe up to 16 degrees depending on octane levels you have there.

Also, when going racing, use some fuel tonic as we call it here in the Barbados.

Also, try you get some force air in to that filter you have from hks. Also let the air be very cool.
Swifty
QUOTE (west_minist @ Apr 6, 2003 - 2:03 PM)
Advice!

Keep the mods you have.

The pipe size is good.

You just need to enhance your new system flow since it is set to high for stock form

Check my profiles or turbocharge write up for model #.

1) Gauges (A/F, Exhaust temp, Fuel Pressure) from Blitz DC
2) Adjustable Fuel Regutaor from TRD or soem other manufacture that have a build in Fuel pressure gauge.
3) Ignition controller like CraneCam HI6TRC with Nology Hotwires, Nology Profire M80 since you seem to like racing
4) Good tires like Bridgestone RE01, S03

I know that you are getting a computer, you I will not put in a piggy back like Apex Super AFC.

The mods up top will help you. Just do not set the fuel regulator for too much fuel. Check the A/F gauge. You can also increase you timing , maybe up to 16 degrees depending on octane levels you have there.

Also, when going racing, use some fuel tonic as we call it here in the Barbados.

Also, try you get some force air in to that filter you have from hks. Also let the air be very cool.

Good ideas.
Definately advance timing, Ive heard all kinds of things about the gains, but it was the first thing I did to my celi, I had it tested in a dyno before and after I adjusted it from 10 degrees to 17. gained 9.3 hp between 2000 - 4500m Rpm and 11 hp on the high end. Try that , if u still dont win practice making quick starts at stop signs and lights, thats how I developed my starts. Dont forget to have your favorite music blaring. Good luck

PS: you have an S-III, right. So you have a much higher compression ratio than My GTS, The exhaust size you have is ideal for your car so dont change it. But not having a Cat will hurt your low end torque.

PPS: Why the bloody hell dont you have a Catalytic Converter anyway, spend 1/3 what you spent on the exhaust and get a high flow cat, that way you gain like 4-5 Hp over stock plus you dont lose the low end torque that your losing now.
west_minist
Have the cat out does not hurt low end torque.

what happens that the cat makes the back pressure due to its low fow characteristics.

His problem right now is a big 2.5 pipe with no tuning to go with that increase in flow.

Mai!, please use a high flow cat to protect the enviroment and your health.

You have put yourself in a new bracket, but still in stock form.

Rise up my son and take the lead in the new modify world.

tongue.gif
maikl
i have arrenged to change the pipes and put the 2.25" stainles still, and i am going to take my car for ecu check up and fuel arrengemend on monday, and after that i will go for dyno
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.