Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sport camshafts to 3s fe engine
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
dolat
Hollow, I have Toyota with 3sfe engine, and I wanted to have better performance and boost power so I made up mine mind to assemble sport ( more sharp ) camshafts, I have done it and I have some problems: my engine works loudly, like disel engine, so my questions are; is it typical of sport camshafts or maybe there were some mistakes with design or the way they were made or they were wrongly assembled. If you have any suggestions how to modify my engine please send me info….Dolat from Poland
Kwanza26
So you had some custom regrinds or aftermarket camshafts and they make noise... It's typical of the bucket shim system, which limits the valve adjustments and when left stock with big lift/duration camshafts, they make noise. Make sense? To fix it, you get new properly sizzed buckets for the cam specs and match adjustments close to stock.
dolat
Hallow, thank you for your advice, I’ve only adjusted the valve clearance but my engine still sounds horrible and doesn’t run very well, so another problem is that after installing new camshafts I’ve got worse parameters of power and torque. The new curve of power and torque(RPM) has got exactly the same shape but it is 10-15 Nm below the old one.
Kwanza26
You can only adjust shim over buckets in very small incriments... to truely adjust them... you need to get new re-sized buckets.

As for your engine running bad... Camshafts are NOT bolt-on performance parts. They require significant tuning to get optimal performance out of them. You'll need to get some sort of piggyback fuel controller (SAFC, E-manage) and get that thing really tuned. Depending on how agressive of camshafts you got, it may not make any power at all. Camshafts greatly alter power delivery... it's not always bigger = better. More power can be had if you open up the intake and exhaust a bit. I think you need to do some serious tuning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.