Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A confession
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
SinisterWhisper
Well I was pushing carts last night (i work as a cashier but push carts when they are short of utility workers) and it drove up. Its sleek lines, vert self, and kick ass stock looks toment me because before I got my car I wanted a miata. Problem is this though my car has 228k miles on it, its got a 110 hp engine, and if I decided to keep it well lets face it the thing would need a paintjob.

If I keep my current job this summer I hope to make 3k but im talking to a guy that works at cingular wireless who makes 12+ commission about getting a job. (we are sorta friends I guess) Point of all this is that I was planning on getting a gt4 front end and getting my car repainted before school starts but honestly I am questioning this plan because I would have to dump 12 grand into my car before I was truely satisfied with it. Where as with a miata I *could* spend 5-6 grand when I graduate from highschool to get a lower mileage car that I love in its stock form (although I would kill for a 99 with a 6 speed but that doubles the price over a 97)

Dunno what do you guys think (and while this is a celi site be reasonable lol)
Dtown_GT
hhhmmm.. a miata??? come on now, the celica's better then a miata. but to each his own. but dont forget a miata has a small engine and puts out even less Hp then the celica does (although its on a small/ light frame)

In my opinion the Celica looks MUCH better then a Miata
prpnum1
yeah never really been a fan of the miata. always kinda looked like a female or old persons car to me. but hey whatever floats your boat man.
vangSTa_celica
Miatas aren't half too bad. I do, although, favor the RWD.
BlackCelicaGT94
I think impure would be a better word to use. But your word works

anyways - eww a miata? Yeah say bye bye if you get in an accident! Those look like little cars you can just pick up with ur hand!
fastgt
its ok to think about other cars...were not gonna kill you. like me im buying a wrx next month...i want an evo but too much money so ill go with the rex....

but im still keepin my celi...its my baby

and miatas......uhh i cant really say anything good about em
ghostdog
I was gonna get a miata but it was too impractical .. wouldn't give my celi up for one tho
Mr_E
I love the MX5.

And dynamically, it's a cracking little car.
Digndoug
If you fine with the fact being a guy driving a miata get it, there saposed to have 50/50 wight ratio.. and rwd, theres 3 of them that always ball around here. and you can do some nice stuff to them.
Hanyo
yea i've heard miata's have really good handling.. but i;m not a fan of the soft top version
LatinKraze
I drove my friends 5spd miata. Its a light little car, realy fun to drive BUT it's too small. I put the seat all the way back and still felt like I kneeing myself.
hioctane
deleted
Mike
how can the mx5 be a girls car if it would whip all our cars' asses in a race
rwd>fwd
FallenHero
get an earlier miata. in the later versions they softened up the suspension for old ladies...

Miata=hell of a trackster with the right engine \ work. for the street... I'd rather have a V8. smile.gif
Sev408
QUOTE(BlackCelicaGT94 @ Apr 6, 2005 - 3:46 PM)
I think impure would be a better word to use. But your word works

anyways - eww a miata? Yeah say bye bye if you get in an accident! Those look like little cars you can just pick up with ur hand!
[right][snapback]267375[/snapback][/right]

uhh what weights are you putting up?!?! biggrin.gif

i would get a miata if you wanted a track car, they are fun to drive but you get the automatic assumption that you are gay. cause i drove my friends around and did some doughnuts and tried to drift with it (yes its manual) then hopped out and some dude was like faggot out his car window. i was like wow cwm13.gif
Exile04
dont hate on the miata...my dad brought home a 2003 limited edition one. that htignwas fast turboed and all that i beat mustang and itr in a freeway race. it was pretty cool to drive 6 speed and all that. its was hte shin somehting edition
My94RedCelica
I never thought much about miata's, still don't really. Too small and "flimsy" looking for me. Although my friend has a turbo RWD miata. Pretty quick. He just beat a Mustang Cobra the other night
saleeka
Ive driven miatas, and I love them. Im 6 foot so im a tight fit, but in terms of driving and feel, they are incredibly nimble and pretty damn quick if you know how to drive stick well. first gens were 90 to 97, but early models were pretty underpowered. By 96 they made 133 hp. On early models the sport suspention came with the R package. 99-05 (no 98 models) is the second gen miata, 2001 being the first year with projectors, along with updated suspention and retooled braking. Dont believe 155 Hp for the 01's, they really were making 142 hp, and mazda got in some hot water for claiming 155... second gens with the upgraded suspention were called either sport package (99-2000) or suspention package (01 up), including blitsen shocks, torsen limited slip (same with first gens). The 03 Club Sport is the hardcore miata- it has racing suspention standard, along with deleted air, sound system, and power steering... so to anybody who wants to dis them as being slow and too girly- nearly all of them can walk all over our GT's, no sweat. honelsty, around here anyway- 7 grand would get you a miata with like 80 thousand miles, if your lucky... Miatas dont really depreciate with age, only with mileage frown.gif
SinisterWhisper
7 grand would get me a 97 with about 80k miles (i know I checked the paper) besides thats what their blue book value is. Sadly I want a 99 though for the 6 speed tranny but their barebones blue book value is still 10k and I doubt I will be able to make that before I go to college. Lastly I don't anyone should be calling another car a chick's car on here considering our celis were marketed to older women wink.gif
BlackCelicaGT94
I thought the celica was just supposed to be a less powered cheaper version of the supra. I didnt think it was marketed to woman or men just was meant for those who wanted a supra but coulnt afford it!

Either way Miatas look like toy cars
hioctane
deleted
madmods
user posted image
You need to get into rehab man. That crack problem is making you think some impure thoughts of the beloved celica. Keep you ride, spend the money. The 6th gen is very rare. People always ask me (I'm debadged) what kinda of car is that.
soltrain
IMHO miatas are great cars for driving, just not so great for everyday use... or road trips... or hauling people around.

I mean, at least in the celica, you could stuff 6 people in if you really wanted to.
Kwanza26
I like the Miata MX5's enough to buy one if I had money and extra time to build one up. Great handling cars, nice suspension set-up, very solid drivetrain, nice predictable ride. We got one at our shop and it hung strong with my Corolla at the time in the corners. I actually like the Miata's feel a bit more than a stockish AE86...
Mr_E
QUOTE(Mike @ Apr 6, 2005 - 7:39 PM)
how can the mx5 be a girls car if it would whip all our cars' asses in a race
rwd>fwd
[right][snapback]267442[/snapback][/right]

I might contest that generalisation.
A MX5 wouldn't see which way I went.

QUOTE(BlackCelicaGT94 @ Apr 7, 2005 - 11:20 AM)
Either way Miatas look like toy cars
[right][snapback]267754[/snapback][/right]

So do Elises. So do Catahams. Doesn't make them bad cars. Small and light is good for a sports car.
SinisterWhisper
You guys have to admit that our cars while rare (I was amazed to see a black coupe today) aren't anything special unless you dump cash into them. Even after doing that they aren't worth much compared with the amount spent. Its a labor of love and I get that but Im 18 now and college is looming closer and closer with all reality being that at most I could raise 6-8 grand before I go (this is after I pay insurance/gas for the celi +some stuff for me). This 6-8 grand isn't going to do much as far as the celi goes considering its a 3300 dollar car at best and would need a new paint, tires, rims, springs, struts, sway bars, engine swap, transmission, and tons of man hours before she would be both reliable and fun. 8g's won't pull that off unless you know how to work on cars and Im a computer geek heh.

Celi's are nice but I would love a stock miata and for even 6g's I could buy an old one outright or (provided my parents backed me) put a hefty down payment on a used one. It can't haul people but Im no party boy nor do I do road trips (parents are gonna hate to hear that Im not comming back for the summer) so neither of those bother me. Sides stock miatas have 140hp which while nothing huge is enough for me considering it still gets good gas mileage when oil prices continue to rise.

Sides celi's aren't rwd and there is no feasible way to get a gt4 here. Also 6 speed transmissions are hard to come by if not impossible to find for us. Regardless if it looks like a toy or not you gotta admit it rivals a gt4 in the looks department user posted image wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.