Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How about head swap from 4A-GE to 7A-FE??
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
doGGy
I read about swaps like these, but am just curious if any of you guys perfomed it? I'm planing to do such a swap (7A-GE or 7A-GZE from MR2) because 3S-GTE is not imposible to find in Lithuania...
Whats your opinion? rolleyes.gif
SmokeThis
it can be done, but i wouldn't recomend doing it yourself unless you've had eperience in this sort of thing. im told the head drops right on, but there are other problems to be delt with. like: you need a belt that fits properly which i believe is from a porsche 944 or 924, i remember hearing that the valves don't line up perfectly, there is no ECU to control the moster, and i know there is more. plus if your planning to boost the 7a block is very weak, so you'll need custom rods, forged pistons, completely customed turbo/super C, and even more problems with the ECU.
you can do it though, i read about an aussie that dropped his 20v custom turbo'ed blacktop monstrosity into an MR2. he was making 300hp at 7500rpms...that's some good shat! keep in mind this was his job and no doubt spent over 5 grand with his discounts making this beast.
i'd set my dreams on something more costworthy...i'd drop in a whole 4a-gze. you'd be pushing 180 stock, tons of aftermarket support, a good strong block with mountains of potential. do the right thing buddy wink.gif but seriously, good luck on whatever you decide...
doGGy
QUOTE (SmokeThis @ Dec 5 2002, 08:19 AM)
it can be done, but i wouldn't recomend doing it yourself unless you've had eperience in this sort of thing. im told the head drops right on, but there are other problems to be delt with. like: you need a belt that fits properly which i believe is from a porsche 944 or 924, i remember hearing that the valves don't line up perfectly, there is no ECU to control the moster, and i know there is more. plus if your planning to boost the 7a block is very weak, so you'll need custom rods, forged pistons, completely customed turbo/super C, and even more problems with the ECU.
you can do it though, i read about an aussie that dropped his 20v custom turbo'ed blacktop monstrosity into an MR2. he was making 300hp at 7500rpms...that's some good shat! keep in mind this was his job and no doubt spent over 5 grand with his discounts making this beast.
i'd set my dreams on something more costworthy...i'd drop in a whole 4a-gze. you'd be pushing 180 stock, tons of aftermarket support, a good strong block with mountains of potential. do the right thing buddy wink.gif but seriously, good luck on whatever you decide...

One of my friend is working with engines (he is preparing engines for rally A group), so i talkd to him, and he sed almost everything that you sed.. frown.gif I know it is hard work to do such swap, but were else to go?? Do a swap to 4A-GZE (as you sed), but is it worth?It is only 1.6l. Is it much beter option? What the best option for Celi AT200 except 3S-GTE? Go with the 4A-GE 20V? Help please, cos i'm very confused.gif confused.gif confused.gif ...
SmokeThis
the best HP swap would deffinently be a 3rd or 4th gen 3s-gte (260hp t/c, fully upgradable). but cost wise you're fucT. parts are expensive and not readilly availlable in the US. and i wouldn't knock the 4a if i was you. do some research and you'll see why. i've heard of old corolla gts' taking out 5.0s. you can do individual carbs per cylinder, complete aftermarket support, they are becoming really popular again, and the 20v's are the first toyota engine to intigrate VVT...man there's so much ****t you can do to these bad boys. i want one
ghostdog
if your friend is very good with engines, have him reinforce your 7A. and then you can turbo it. its good for ~200 hp. your other option is to get a 4AGZE and upgrade the pulleys, that'll give you ~200 hp as well.

Lithuania huh? thats pretty freakin cool, must be one of the only 6Gs on the road over there.

oh you know what. if you got the cash, you might just want to look for a LHD GT-FOUR. I've heard of some selling for ~15k USD.
doGGy
QUOTE (gh0st_d0g @ Dec 5 2002, 10:03 AM)
if your friend is very good with engines, have him reinforce your 7A. and then you can turbo it. its good for ~200 hp. your other option is to get a 4AGZE and upgrade the pulleys, that'll give you ~200 hp as well.

Lithuania huh? thats pretty freakin cool, must be one of the only 6Gs on the road over there.

oh you know what. if you got the cash, you might just want to look for a LHD GT-FOUR. I've heard of some selling for ~15k USD.

yesterday i found advertisement about selling 5g GT-4 Totaly smashed, the price is only 1500$, i think i'm preety lucky! Engine is OK, but suspension (rear) is totaly smached. So, i think i'll go for it, and do a swap to 3S-GTE.But it still be the front drive car... mad.gif

What about lithuania, i'm not the only one who drives 6GC, only in the town were i work where are 6 of them... And in all country are about 18 (it in accordance with car registration data base). But i'll be the first one with the body kit and with the swap! smile.gif .

Thanks all of you guys for helping me resolve!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.