Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automatics
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
soven
People with automatics will know the ECT-s switch. So, what are people's view on this.

Basically, all I know is when i switch it on. My car seems to pull harder and probably drink a heap lot more fuel too.

SO, do you guys just leave it on while driving or only when it is "needed". Anyone done a test on how much difference in fuel consumption between switching it on and off?

Drocay
all its for is to drop u from fourth to third when off so u can make passes on the highway and such. i always leave mine on to save gas.
soven
Isn't that overdrive?I think ECT-s is Electronically controlled timing system or something like that. not too sure.
Drocay
wait a sec, wut the heck is a ect-s. i think my moms lexus has that? wut kinda celi u got?
soven
ST202 3s-fe. It is beside the transmission along with the "MAN" button which allows u to lock the car in gear when towing stuff etc.
Galcobar
ECT-S is the electronically controlled transmission option to switch between higher RPM shift points (better acceleration, higher gas consumption) and lower ones (more economical).

Overdrive is more or less a virtual top gear, meant for cruising, to save gas by lowering RPMs. It only comes on when you reach a high enough operating temperature and are not accelerating rapidly -- in short, cruising, around 65 km/h, though it will stay on if you lightly let up on the gas down to around 55 km/h.

BTW, I thought the 202 came with a 3SGE?
rocky2006
soven, can you take pics of what youre talking about?
amysmojo
ya Im curious to see this ECT-S thing as well. All I have that I know about is what they mentioned above, the overdrive button!
M1050
dunno what the buttons all about but here it is written down

GENERAL :Body type Coupe
Drive FF
Transmission Electronic control type 4 speed automatic [ sport ] (ECT-S)
Displacement, cc 1998
Frame E-ST202-BLPGK

and some engine stuff

Displacement, cc 1998
Engine model 3S-FE
Max.power (Net), kw(PS)/rpm 140 ps (102.97 kw) / 6000 rpm
Max.torque(Net), N*m(kg*m)/rpm 19.0 kg*m (186.33 N*m) / 4400 rpm

Catch ya
M1050
Found this link to do with
Toyota Electronic Control Transmission

hope its of help

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h17.pdf
946thGenGT
My buddy's Accord had this little button on his shifter that selected between "Sport" and "Normal" shifting... sounds like the same kinda thing.
Hanyo
use american automatics have the ect and over drive button combined into one. Overdrive is essential the 4th gear on the automatic.

ECT is electronic controled transmission.. what it does it it monitors engine load and throttle positoin to select which gear to be in.. with ECT off.. you would have to mash the pedel to the floor before it will down shift. With ECT on, you can push the throttle half way and it will down shift. This helps when you are going up hill, and you dont want to floor itl you turn on ECT and drive like normal, the tranny will select which gear is best depending on engine load.
rocky2006
i kind of doubt we have the ect-s in the US. to me, with the button on or off it really doesnt make a difference in performance or shifting below 4th gear. i could be wrong.
vangSTa_celica
Oh, I have that button on my '91 Camry. I guess its for highway passing or something like that.
Mr2_Joel
yeah camry's have the ETC button as well as the O/D button on the actual shifter. it may just be me, but on my camry, I thought that ETC button was a joke.......
Ralph96gt
my friends 89 supra turbo has an etc button....
Hanyo
why do you guys think its a joke.. it really does work..

you just have to try it..

And the USA celica's do have ECT, its just not marketed because it doesnt have the switch. ECT is there with or without the button, all ECT means is the tranny is controlled according to the throttle position and engine load.

TRY THIS:

go up a hill with ect off.. (meaning normal mode) hold your throttle steady and then push it a little more like from 1/4 of the way to 1/2 throttle. The car should not down shift.

now on the same hill with ect on.. (power mode) hold your throttle steady and push down on the throttle from 1/4 of the way to 1/2. The car would down shift.

you ask me how i know this? I drive my parents beater car with some blown pistion rings and leaky compression. So there is pretty much no power. WIth ECT off it drives like normal, crawling slowly up to speed after a turn. With ECT on, it will down shift quickly without me flooring it. The car is not nessary faster in any way.
Drocay
QUOTE(Hanyo @ Apr 19, 2005 - 5:52 PM)
why do you guys think its a joke.. it really does work..

you just have to try it..

And the USA celica's do have ECT, its just not marketed because it doesnt have the switch. ECT is there with or without the button, all ECT means is the tranny is controlled according to the throttle position and engine load.

TRY THIS:

go up a hill with ect off.. (meaning normal mode) hold your throttle steady and then push it a little more like from 1/4 of the way to 1/2 throttle. The car should not down shift.

now on the same hill with ect on..  (power mode) hold your throttle steady and push down on the throttle from 1/4 of the way to 1/2. The car would down shift.

you ask me how i know this? I drive my parents beater car with some blown pistion rings and leaky compression. So there is pretty much no power. WIth ECT off it drives like normal, crawling slowly up to speed after a turn. With ECT on, it will down shift quickly without me flooring it. The car is not nessary faster in any way.
[right][snapback]274213[/snapback][/right]

yup and to prove it read the pdf M1050 posted it explains it and tells u how they came with ect preprogrammed into the ecu.
rocky2006
so is ECT on all the time for us or what?
Hanyo
YES
Drocay
not exactly on, but ready to engage, depending on your throttle position.
CoSo
I have an ECT button (in my '96 ZR). When depressed the green ECT light comes on the dash. And yes, it does seem to help with acceleration. So, er, I guess it's not on all the time for me...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.