Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most heat resistant CAI tubing?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
JoeyIsFunny
I plan on making a CAI and was curious as to wether or not what material tubing you used made a difference. I have a friend who used pvc pipe on his H22 prelude and it works just fine for him.. So my question is, basic steel tubes from home depot (or wherever) or pvc pipe? Are there any other materials people use that im missing here?
playr158
PVC retarded and just really really bad idea

go to jcwhitney and order pipe from there

and if you really wanna worry about heat
then buy heat wrap and wrap the tubing.

home depot isn't intake tubing
thats galvanized steel
that weights a ton and defenitly isn't good to work with
JoeyIsFunny
Lemme rephrase my question. Without wanting to spend more than 25 bucks on tubing, where can I go to get what I need, and what type of metal do those of you who have made their own prefer?
playr158
i gave you the answer

JCWHITNEY

i've made my own a few times over i've made enough parts for this car
trust me thats the pipe you want go to the main page
www.6gc.net now click "how to" now click cold air intake that will give you the JCwhitney addy i think to the right piece
urbandork
i spent like 30 and i got all aluminum powdercoated banderal bent pipe with silicone couplers adn hose clamp and filter. JCW is a good place for manderal bent pipes but with an accord 90-93 cai system u can make one for GT. If u have an ST there are CAI system already out there on ebay which are rather cheap.

Search for GT CAI how to. or scrool down a bit and ull find a how to i wrote up with pix and every thing.

It look a lot better and in the end a lot cheaper then making it out of plumbing parts. And yes i know this because i actually plumbed for 3 years so im very fimilar with whats avalible out there.

If ur super cheap just get a dryer vent hose, duct tape, and a filter or a sock.
JoeyIsFunny
QUOTE(playr158 @ Apr 21, 2005 - 9:40 PM)
i gave you the answer

JCWHITNEY

i've made my own a few times over i've made enough parts for this car
trust me thats the pipe you want  go to the main page
www.6gc.net now click "how to" now click cold air intake that will give you the JCwhitney addy i think to the right piece
[right][snapback]275925[/snapback][/right]

playr i apologize, I went to the JCW site and all i found were brand name cais for over 100 bucks. I had looked at the how to earlier, but overlooked the url link. So I didnt catch that. Sorry if I sounded rude!

Also thank you urban dork for your input.
Redline_Racer
I built my own and it ran me around $80. I bought my Mandrel bentPiping from JCWhitney. you can IM me if you would like some advice or to see more pics.

I still like Urbans set up, use your imagination. I am still working on my heat shield for mine.

-Brandon
user posted image

user posted image
playr158
technically thats not goin to help much redline your still sucking in a great deal of hot engine air

if you really want a cold air
you need a piece to extend your filter into the wheel well through the plastic about 1' farther to the right of the car then redline's last pic
urbandork
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21648

check it out its got some good pix. And i cant complain with the way it looks for 30 bucks.

From the TB to the bypass valve
user posted image
Under the fuse box into the fender
user posted image
Filter secluded in fender sucking all the cold air it wants
user posted image
LewFX
does anyone elses filter hit hte plastic piece thats near the tire?
urbandork
QUOTE(LewFX @ Apr 22, 2005 - 6:17 PM)
does anyone elses filter hit hte plastic piece thats near the tire?
[right][snapback]276338[/snapback][/right]

my first version did but when i did the second one i was able to angle the filter so that way it would only sit against it rather then push against it. I didnt compare the two filters from the two sets so my second set (powdercoated one) may have had a diffrent filter.

Technically u can add another peice and make it that ram air look, which wont give u n e presure but may look kinda cool.
Hanyo
we should contact the ebay seller and see if we can arrange a group buy for the 93 accord intake.. that would be sweet
javi714
I like the way your intake came out urban biggrin.gif looks sweet
urbandork
QUOTE(javi714 @ Apr 23, 2005 - 12:52 PM)
I like the way your intake came out urban  biggrin.gif looks sweet
[right][snapback]276772[/snapback][/right]

thanks man. I was happy with the end result too and thats y i decided to throw up the How To hoping to share the wealth.

If n e one has n e questions feel free to ask.

N e one thinking of n e cai system id do it. Even if u have just cai ur car will sound a lot nicer. And with the 2.2l in the GT it wont sound as high pitched. I love the nice low sound that my n/a 5sfe puts out.
Hanyo
can you tell me the sellers name you bought the intake from?
Mike
gold is the best heat resistor
might add acouple hundred pounds to the car
but meh smile.gif
urbandork
QUOTE(Hanyo @ Apr 23, 2005 - 10:12 PM)
can you tell me the sellers name you bought the intake from?
[right][snapback]276922[/snapback][/right]

i got mine from procarparts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.