Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Water Injection - Nos
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
nObOdy
So im confused - i was reading some posts and i came across one that talked about how nos is completly flammable - well i was curious and i looked around in some more posts and it seems that a lot of people think Nos is flammable - but.. it isnt is it? it basically is oxygen that when heated to 565 degrees' it expands and creates an assload more oxygen and cools things down?

Also - I had heard of Water Injected Engines - well i was really curious as to what the heck that means - the last i heard of it was on a 3s-gte swap someone was doing and they found out thier version was water injected? What is that??
wouldnt you use antifreeze if it was used to keep temps down? ??

thanks in advance - sorry if this has been answered - i looked around for a while
nObOdy
Dr_Tweak
Okay well first of all, the idea that N20 is flammable comes from the Fast and the Furious where the car blows up. Not true, it basically acts just like air. It does, however, do two things: gives more oxygen into the airstream, and cools it down. So basically you got it right.

Now water injection is a sort of "band-aid" solution to not using an intercooler. Basically, there's a little water sprayer that gets put into the intake tube after the turbo, and when you're boosting and you're at wide open throttle, it activates the sprayer. This actually sprays water into your engine! But what happens is, the water evaporates and as it does so it cools the intake charge down a lot. That way it's like having an intercooler. You can also use alcohol (windshield washer fluid actually works quite well). That's why you also hear the term alcohol injection.

Personally, I would never design a kit to use water injection INSTEAD of a true intercooler. It's just a bad idea overall and a band-aid solution to a poorly thought out turbo system. However, it is good to use in addition to an intercooler especially in racing applications (drag racing).

Now as far as a 3SGTE coming with this stock, I can tell you right now that's not true. What it might have had is a intercooler sprayer system. Now these are very cool and work in a similar way. Basically there is a water sprayer mounted so that it can spray water on the OUTSIDE of your intercooler. Now when you go to wide open throttle, the sprayer opens up and wets your intercooler right down. Then the water evaporates off and carries away a lot of heat with it. It's not system that runs all the time, just when you step on it to give you an extra boost. The STi and I believe the EVO VIII also come stock with these systems, so I wouldn't be suprised if a GT-4 did as well. Not to be confused with water INJECTION!!!

Now to add some more confusion into the mix, there is ALSO something called a nitrous intercooler sprayer. This is just like what I described above, but instead of using water or alcohol, it uses N20. Since N20 is very cold coming out of the bottle, it cools the outside of the intercooler down quite a bit.
lagos
raven ... the wrc version of the st205 (yes the one sold to the public) came with the ports needed to hook up water injection.

wether you have an intercooler or not. WI is still a great thing to add on. it will keep your motor clean, and reduce your intake temps so that things like heat soak become less of a problem.

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/WaterInjection.html
darksecret
As far as water injection goes, never used it so I couldn't tell you. Nitrous as you can tell I have used, no it's not flammable, but if a vehicle was to catch fire and the temperature of the nitrous was to reach that level and the system rupture you could possibly see a "Fast and Furious" type of reaction, it wont be like a bomb going off, but the flame will intensify due to the added oxygen. If you stick a match to an open source of N2O it will not burn though. Read my thread on Nitrous to learn a little more.
97sccelica
Water injection is the ****

my car gained 20whp from the water injection, with a very safe tune, since then i have made the tune more agressive.

i too would never use it instead of an intercooler. all things go to hell when you run out of water.
MonsterBOX
ok if this isnt nitrous explosion than what the hell is it? somebody please tell me cuz i dont want it happening to me if i use nos

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/corvetteblow.html
97sccelica
a nitrous backfire will destroy the intake manifold.

but to get something similar to what happened to that vette, you would have to be using way more nitrous than your engine can handle, thats if that was caused by something going wrong with the nitrous system.
darksecret
The reason why the car blew like it did in F&F was special effects, the only reason nitrous explodes is due to high pressure blows parts off. Nitrous still doesn't burn though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.