Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: this is the sadest day known to man
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
mywhite94celicagt
Im sad to announce that the timing belt on my celica is now broken. Not too bad for going 160,000 miles on the orginal timing belt. This is either going to lead to either

1. new timing belt, head work on the 5sfe head, new clutch and new seals. or

2. 2.2 stroker with the 3sgte head. still trying to find parts for it. i bought a 3sgte head on ebay for $150. so if anyone has some stuff i need. let me know.

either way im going to be doing alot of stuff my my celica soon.
Hanyo
why didn't you change it earlier?

i'm planning on changing my timing belt at 70k miles
Jaws4God
i'm at about 130k on my 2nd timing belt... about time to change it tongue.gif
HaRv3sTeR
im about to change my timing belt soon (almost hit 70k with it)...do you huys know what else to change with the belt...any seals or something?
WannabeGT4
might as well replace the water pump while you're at it.
DamDirtyApes
im at 94000 and this is my 3rd timing belt
soven
Changed my timing belt at 90K. Its usually good to change it since it is not something you would change often. It should last me another 90k

Other things that they might change while changing the timing belt is the water pump and bearings(?)
Jen
I replaced my second one around 115k.

Too bad my engine is dead now.
bufferdan
Did you know that you dont have a interference engine? Slap a new timming belt, tensioner, and water pump and go another 160k miles smile.gif You have done no damage to your head or valves so why mess with them?
FallenHero
QUOTE(WannabeGT4 @ May 18, 2005 - 11:00 AM)
might as well replace the water pump while you're at it.
[right][snapback]288561[/snapback][/right]

=best thing to do.
celicarocker
QUOTE(bufferdan @ May 18, 2005 - 2:10 PM)
Did you know that you dont have a interference engine?  Slap a new timming belt, tensioner, and water pump and go another 160k miles smile.gif    You have done no damage to your head or valves so why mess with them?
[right][snapback]288600[/snapback][/right]

defffffinetly replace the tensioner with it... like he said we have non interference engines, not harm is done. i had my timing belt changed, but didnt have the tensioner changed. about a month later the tensioner siezed up, and the timing belt shredded... so had to have it replaced again..
mywhite94celicagt
i could have sworn we had interferance engines. well thats good that we dont. but i was sitting at a stop sign when the belt broke, so it wouldnt have done any damage. but yes i got a OEM from toyota belt, tensioner and something else with it too, not sure what it is off the top of my head. but i think im going to be going with the 2.2 stroker anyways. but if money comes a problem, ill just slap on the belt and new clutch and go. biggrin.gif
spunky393
QUOTE(mywhite94celicagt @ May 18, 2005 - 10:59 PM)
i could have sworn we had interferance engines.  well thats good that we dont. but i was sitting at a stop sign when the belt broke, so it wouldnt have done any damage. 
[right][snapback]288812[/snapback][/right]

WOWSER-RIFFICK, this boy has one of them SPECIAL celica engines, the kind where the revolutions of the engines completely stop when the car is at a complete stop. Absolutly amazing technology these gosh-darn days.
Hanyo
QUOTE(Jen @ May 18, 2005 - 11:36 AM)
I replaced my second one around 115k.

Too bad my engine is dead now.
[right][snapback]288575[/snapback][/right]

what happened to jen's engine? frown.gif
Illyont
QUOTE(spunky393 @ May 18, 2005 - 11:23 PM)
i could have sworn we had interferance engines.  well thats good that we dont. but i was sitting at a stop sign when the belt broke, so it wouldnt have done any damage. 

WOWSER-RIFFICK, this boy has one of them SPECIAL celica engines, the kind where the revolutions of the engines completely stop when the car is at a complete stop. Absolutly amazing technology these gosh-darn days.
[right][snapback]288817[/snapback][/right]

Don't make fun of people like that smile.gif
CupCrazy38
QUOTE(Illyont @ May 20, 2005 - 4:46 AM)
QUOTE(spunky393 @ May 18, 2005 - 11:23 PM)

[right][snapback]288817[/snapback][/right]

Don't make fun of people like that smile.gif
[right][snapback]289389[/snapback][/right]

Yea, make fun of people like Illyont...lol...j/k
ArizonaRed
thank goodness we have belts and not chains. If a chain broke wed have lotsa damage. mines 136k on 2nd timing belt. not changing until 180k.
bufferdan
It has nothing to do with belt or chain...it has to do with engine design. Our engines are non-interference meaning when the belt breaks the valves do not smack the pistons from the timming jumping so far off. Most engines are interference whether they be belt or chain it makes no difference. Chains tend to go longer and usually they dont have 60k change intervals. Chains do break though and they can stretch causing bent vavles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.