Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i have been noticing a power loss
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
DamDirtyApes
More and more i have been noticing a loss in power. My friends 94 accord automatic (no vtec) pulls away from me. Heck my girlfriends 94 cavilier almost hangs in with me. What could be wrong. I cant even squeak tires if i floor it from a dead stop.

i have intake (clean filter)
new spark plugs
new wires
new distributor cap and rotor
throttle body recently cleaned
new fuel filter

to my knowledge, everything else is stock. I think its originall exhaust and cat to. Could this power loss be becuase of a clogged cat? or somethign else

the engine seems to run good, it doesnt idle perfectly (a tad bit rough) but nothing bad. Also, the engine soudns great and is a solid running engine. The oil looks fine, and there is no blue or white exhaust on startup.

If you guys could give me any thing to look for along with suggestions, id appreciate it

EDIT: also when i have my air conditioner on, it drains even more power. I start to have trouble accelerating and have to almost floor it to get anywhere.
darksecret
Do a compression test on it.
946thGenGT
o2 sensor?
DamDirtyApes
yeah i was thinking a compression test or a o2 sensor. I dont know how to check either of those to see if they are bad though. Also i was wondering, could i possibly have a dead cylinder. doesnt that usually make the car shake on idle or am i thinking of something else
Hanyo
valve adjustment? ( not sure if the gt uses valve shims)

darksecret
A dead cylinder throws of the balance off on the powertrain, you can get a compression tester at any auto parts place, you plug it in where your spark plug goes on each cyliner and be sure to unhook the igntion so that the starter turns the motor but it doesn't start and record and compare each cylinder to see if one is running a lower compression. As far as O2 that could be a problem the O2 sensor is located on the exhast, look down into your engine bay around the manifold you can't miss it. As far as testing the sensor I couldn't tell you anything other than replacing it. The A/C will sap the power from the Celica, I think it's close to 20 hp.
DamDirtyApes
can i screw ne thing up by doing a compression test lol
DamDirtyApes
could old exhaust cuase any power drain?
darksecret
Not really, the tester will usually come with directions, just follow those and you'll be fine, The only way to mess up on a compression test is to leave the ignition hooked up and the engine fires, you be pouring air and fuel into the "open" cylinder and could flood it when you test you only need it to turn over a couple of times. As far as physical damage i've never heard of any caused by testing. BTW the 5S does have shims.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.