Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new "cold" nitrous
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
spunky393
A friend was talking about a new nitrous that kept the engine temps down, therefore, keeping engine failure risk down. Anybody know what it is called?
JoKeRkId613
well, when i first filled my nitrous bottle, the guy put it in a freezer for like 5 minutes and then filled it up. That s h i t was cold. Like when I purged it and looked over at the purge valve and the fittings under my hood, they looked frozen. it was kinda cool. lol. i doubt thats what they're talking about... or who knows... i know that the bottle should be warm to keep the pressure high, so the "cold" of this system youre talking about has to be somewhere between the main line or at the nitrous management unit or something. i dont really know. ive never heard of it. i just spray that shiiiiiiit. right now its at a 50 shot. dont wanna blow anything up. but that cold thing would be pretty cool. much safer i imagine.
MonsterBOX
nitrous is a gas and when compressed it is cold...its just like co2 in a paintball gun...when u spray alot of co2 out it freezes everything same with nitrous..its very unstable in pressure...whenever the bottle is hot it expands and pressure raises whenever the bottle is cool it contracts and pressure decreases...ive never heard of cooling the engine with it but ive seen people spray it throug their intercoolers to lower temps and increase boost on turbos
Maybe he is talking about intercooler sprayer?
Valo666
u might be thinking of the CO2 system that criogenics makes. They make a CO2 fogger kit for intercoolers and for radiators that works the same as a nitrous fogger, but uses CO2. Its a bit cheaper for refills, and it runs the exact same.
SlowCelica94
nitrous is sorta like adding more air, which will add more fuel= more heat
Smlogg
QUOTE(MonsterBOX @ Jun 26, 2005 - 12:29 AM)
nitrous is a gas and when compressed it is cold...its just like co2 in a paintball gun...
[right][snapback]304918[/snapback][/right]

Actually, its more like No2 in a paintball gun wink.gif
darksecret
Yeah i've heard of it, it's called uh...nitrous, came out about 70 years ago, j/k. Seriously like Valo said the Cryogentics CO2 system is probably what your friend is thinking of, nitrous can do the same thing but cost more than CO2 and is more volatile, NX makes a few nitrous cooling parts like the intercooler bar, but whats the point in paying $4-$5 per lbs. when you can get CO2 for what .50 cents per pound.
MonsterBOX
QUOTE(Smlogg @ Jun 27, 2005 - 4:44 AM)
QUOTE(MonsterBOX @ Jun 26, 2005 - 12:29 AM)
nitrous is a gas and when compressed it is cold...its just like co2 in a paintball gun...
[right][snapback]304918[/snapback][/right]

Actually, its more like No2 in a paintball gun wink.gif
[right][snapback]305366[/snapback][/right]

i donno bout that...No2 doesnt change in pressure due to heat....with nitrous people buy heaters to keep the pressure up
OOBE
Yeah, I broke the o-ring on my 20oz. bottles of my paintball gun and that CO2 froze the damn fitting and almost my finger, LOL...
JoKeRkId613
QUOTE(MonsterBOX @ Jun 27, 2005 - 2:26 PM)
i donno bout that...No2 doesnt change in pressure due to heat....with nitrous people buy heaters to keep the pressure up
[right][snapback]305591[/snapback][/right]

i dont get it. ure saying it doesnt change in pressure cuz of heat but then u say people buy heaters to keep the pressure up? same thing? right? of course, i didnt mean to say that if ur bottle is almost empty and u stick ur nitrous bottle in a volcano, the last bit of nitrous in the tank would shoot out at 1000psi.
darksecret
They're refering to NO2, which is nitrogen dioxide (I think), not N2O which is nitrous oxide.
MonsterBOX
nitrogen no2 is no effective by normal heat and cold temps....co2 carbon dioxide is and so is nitrous oxide i think thats n2o or no3 not sure
darksecret
What would NO2 have to do with automotive use anyways, it's a little expensive (cheaper than N2O but more than CO2).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.