Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7AFE Turbo
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Milds3vn
Im sure someone went over this before but if you never re-hash old topics this board would go dead so anyway. What beefing up to a 7AFE should be done before it is turbocharged. Im thinking 10-12psi of boost to start of with. Everyone wants to do the 3sgte swap but i know the 7AFE isn't a complete peice of **** and i think any motor has some potential. If anyone can just share their suggestions of what would be a good pre-turbo preperation on the motor so i can get some life/reliability out of it.
BigEdge169
I would say that this could be done if you prep the short block propery. If you started with some custom pistons by JE or another similar company so you can lower the compression to a turbo friendly level of maybe 8.5 or 9:1 and then you can work everything else. I've thought about trying this instead of the 3sgte swap too. I know the 3sgte has way more potential, but I'm not looking to make 400+hp because that is useless for the most part in a daily driver front wheel drive car. Anyways, I think that the 7AFE could be turned into a pretty powerful engine without the hassles you'd come across with the swap.
Milds3vn
Exactly what im thinking, plus i could get the engine prep done then put it back in and drive it for a while, then when i have the money i can get the turbo done. I also wanted to do this to my engine, let me know what you guys this if i get this done too. http://www.grmotorsports.com/celicast.html Also, anyone have any idea how much the overboring and hot tanking would cost?
Charlie97L
QUOTE (Milds3vn @ Apr 22, 2003 - 5:44 PM)
Exactly what im thinking, plus i could get the engine prep done then put it back in and drive it for a while, then when i have the money i can get the turbo done. I also wanted to do this to my engine, let me know what you guys this if i get this done too. http://www.grmotorsports.com/celicast.html Also, anyone have any idea how much the overboring and hot tanking would cost?

the only problem with that, is by getting low compression pistons which will allow you to run more boost, you will lose power NA. so if you don't immediately turbo, your car will be considerably slower. you can run 4agze pistons in the 7afe block, but the rods need custom replacements.
macavely
Putting a turbo on then 7A FE is something I'm really thinking about doing. If I can get it to 200hp at the flywheel thats good enuff for me. Everyone says that 3S GTE or 4A GZE have lots more potental, yea I know, but what can I do with all that power in the City.
95STCelica
QUOTE (macavely @ Apr 22, 2003 - 11:30 PM)
Putting a turbo on then 7A FE is something I'm really thinking about doing. If I can get it to 200hp at the flywheel thats good enuff for me. Everyone says that 3S GTE or 4A GZE have lots more potental, yea I know, but what can I do with all that power in the City.

wink.gif spoken by a genius
macavely
QUOTE (95STCelica @ Apr 22, 2003 - 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (macavely @ Apr 22, 2003 - 11:30 PM)

wink.gif spoken by a genius

LOL never been call that before I been call I lot of other things but never that
BigEdge169
And I have a feeling too that if you build up the bottom end with new stuff and get your head ported and polished and the engine blueprinted and all that good stuff, I think you could build up a reliable 300hp engine (most likely cheaper and less grief than you'd get with the swap too).
Oh yeah, that 300 would be with a turbo or maybe you could go 350 with a nitrous system too smile.gif that sounds like fun doesn't it
Jussimple
You know guys, I'm feeling what you all are saying. I've been putting a shopping list together for the 3s swap. I have about +/- two g's standing by for a swap, which I thought was going to be just enough. Its just that the ST automatic needs alot of parts sourcing and custom components to sustain the engine reliably. All of which puts the cost out of my reach, so now it looks like a 5sfe is more realistic for me. I might even just try and build a reliable 7afte. Just got to start a new shopping list biggrin.gif
macavely
i have put a list together and putting in a turbo would cost me 2567 dollors. that cause i'm doind the work myself with they help of a few friends.
BigEdge169
Then let the work begin. I'm seriously thinking about doing this when I get the funds (college is expensive). When I go home in a couple weeks, I'm going to talk to my mechanic about sourcing the parts and how much everything might run. Hopefully I'll get some good news.
Charlie97L
QUOTE (BigEdge169 @ Apr 23, 2003 - 12:02 AM)
And I have a feeling too that if you build up the bottom end with new stuff and get your head ported and polished and the engine blueprinted and all that good stuff, I think you could build up a reliable 300hp engine (most likely cheaper and less grief than you'd get with the swap too).
Oh yeah, that 300 would be with a turbo or maybe you could go 350 with a nitrous system too smile.gif that sounds like fun doesn't it

not a chance. you will spend waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than 3 grand just on building up the engine, and 3 grand is about what a 3sgte swap costs if you do the work yourself.
BigEdge169
Where are you saying that the way more than 3 grand would come from? I've talked to my mechanic in the past about it briefly and he said that he could get custom pistons and rods made for around 800 for whatever specs on the engine that we decides to go with.
Also, the 3 grand for the 3sgte engine would only give you around 225 at most at the crank (I could be wrong), so you'd have to put more money into it if you wanted to get into the 300hp range.
macavely
don't forget well around me a turbo is legal and the 3s gte might not be.
Charlie97L
QUOTE (BigEdge169 @ Apr 24, 2003 - 5:05 PM)
Where are you saying that the way more than 3 grand would come from? I've talked to my mechanic in the past about it briefly and he said that he could get custom pistons and rods made for around 800 for whatever specs on the engine that we decides to go with.
Also, the 3 grand for the 3sgte engine would only give you around 225 at most at the crank (I could be wrong), so you'd have to put more money into it if you wanted to get into the 300hp range.

i dunno man, i doubt the 7afe can get to 300. the crank will be close to giving out at that point. if you're running 300 HP, you'll also need new valves, valve springs, retainers, and some headwork. it's not just the block you have to worry about.
zigy
-MY 94 Celica ST - AUTOMATIC...(7afe, Nitrous, headers, exhaust, intake, fuel pump, injectors...)
(QM @ 14.9 on 15'' MickeyTompson Slicks )

well going back to first topic...

hell no 7AFE is not junk... you should see those Corolla guys beefing them up with crazy HP+...

next door neighboor has a freaken 1.5L Honda running high 13s

Honda D15 ---> 1.5L and SOHC
VS
Toyota 7AFE ---> 1.8L and DOHC

HMM LET ME THINK ABOUT IT.... I'LL TAKE THE TOYOTA.....

7AFE still has potential if properly tuned ... my belief is 250hp@flywheel as reliable

(my car w/nitrous + mods has 169 Whp, which makes it around 200hp@flywheel)
Jason
QUOTE (zigy @ Apr 25, 2003 - 12:13 AM)
-MY 94 Celica ST - AUTOMATIC...(7afe, Nitrous, headers, exhaust, intake, fuel pump, injectors...)
(QM @ 14.9 on 15'' MickeyTompson Slicks )

(my car w/nitrous + mods has 169 Whp, which makes it around 200hp@flywheel)

Is that with the Nitrous right? If your hittin 200hp to the flywheel, I want to know what the hell your doing. I have my Injen and Exhaust all nicely setup, and I don't feel much of a difference from my stock 115hp at the flywheel. If your honestly getting another 85HP out of Headers, Fuep Pump and Injector's, give me some details, and i'll tell them to take back the 4AGZE Clip.

My soul reason for swapping to the 4AGZE is because I want a 5 SPD Transmission.
zigy
YES I AM freaken SPRAYING .... WHAT DID YOU THINK!!! haha LOL

yea ... 169-170WHP ( about 200hp@flywheel)

ZEX 65-shot DryNitrous
RPM engage module
2.25'' cat-back full exhaust custom w/C-west muffler
customized Injen intake for heat shield
7afe corolla headers 4-2-1
venom fuel pump
venom injectors
....and small **** like ngk, ignition + wires + plugs

and yea the CELICA did QM @ 14.9 (Winsconsin Great Lakes w/slicks)

freaken Infinity G35 did QM @14.7 .... (I think that I can't drive STICK....haha lol)
Matthew
sorry guys 3 grand is not gonna get you 350hp. why run boost and nitrous on such a high compression engine.

and charlie is right. seriously man. you have to do a lot more than just the pistons. we're talkin, valves, valve springs, camshafts, crankshaft, connecting rods, valve retainers, valve sleeves, pistons, piston sleeves, etc.

also some sort of s-afc to control all this. then prices for the turbo kit and custom exhaust manifold. and the labor to put all that in...then new exhaust. then the cost for nitrous.

you can get a st185 for like 1500 or so. and that is 225hp and 8 psi. just up the boost. in my opinion the 3s-gte can hit 300hp on STOCK internals. also have you ever really driven a 300hp car? i doubt it. but if you have then you know what you are getting yourself into

plus about the things with the honda 1.5 liter. well i am sure that that engine is built up. plus you can purchase aftermarket parts for that engine. it will cost you more for the 7a-fe because there is less aftermarket support

just my opinion

i think it would be easier to do the 3s-gte swap or 4a-gze.
BigEdge169
I just said that it wouln't cost 3 grand to build up the 7afe to handle that kinda of hp.
I have a question though, could you use the tranny from a 3sgte front clip (since you can't use the stock ST tranny) or would you have to source a tranny from else where (I wasn't sure where the AWD fit with the tranny and everything)?
Coomer
QUOTE (BigEdge169 @ Apr 25, 2003 - 12:02 AM)
I just said that it wouln't cost 3 grand to build up the 7afe to handle that kinda of hp.
I have a question though, could you use the tranny from a 3sgte front clip (since you can't use the stock ST tranny) or would you have to source a tranny from else where (I wasn't sure where the AWD fit with the tranny and everything)?

You'd need an A-series tranny, rather than a S-series tranny that the ST202/3/4/5 and the ST185 uses. You may want a tranny from a AE101 supercharged Levin, or you may be able to beef up your stock one to handle the boost.
BigEdge169
I'm sorry, it was late when I posted that and I meant to ask if you could use the tranny from the front clip if you're doing the swap too. So, would that tranny work with the 3sgte in an ST even if you aren't doing the AWD conversion also?
zigy
->nope, that's why buying a clip is not really big issue....just get ECU w/ engine....

you are going to have the trans from Celica GT or MR-2....

->ST owners are advised to go with 4age or 4agze but then I would recomend

buying the clip since it comes with engine + trans...

(or some bull**** head swap 7age)
BigEdge169
Has anyone done the 4agze swap and if so, how hard is it to find parts for it in the states?
Also (sorry about my ignorance about the engine), how strong is the engine, would it be able to produce 300hp as easily as the 3sgte could or would it take a lot more work?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.