Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why would they make this
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
Kadett
I have read somewhere that the Auto version is even faster then the manual.
Rjb23
If its a built supra the auto is faster because it doesnt lose boost between shifts like a manual does.
Phat_99CeliGT
buddy of mine has a TT auto.
thats what he says.
i haven't seen it for a couple years though.
Rjb23
Also it would be stupid for a company to exclude part of the market by not making an automatic version of a car, its all about the money.
SlowCelica94
Exactly. Cuz some richers don't like clutching.
DamDirtyApes
some people cant clutch. Knee problems can cuase exessive pain when using the clutch
lagos
auto = no fun at all

its only faster if u have a built up supra intended for 1/4mile runs
ArizonaRed
many old rich ppl want autos. i would love a tt auto. a local has a tt auto thats heavy modded and is the fastest thing here besides a custom drag. thos ppl are asking too much. i could get one way cheaper.
playr158
talking with some supra techs

the auto is goin to be much better off the line in the 1/4 mile because they can power brake and keep more traction
as compared to a manual launch and breaking the tires loose

its not about lazy its about tractiona and such.....i mean we had a wat sub 9sec supra come to philly that was auto
BlackSTX
I'm pretty sure that the Supra was only offered as an automatic in the US in some years, probably the last few it was offered. A LOT of old muscle drag cars are automatics, and they're very fast.
Blakout16
i watched a vid on streetfire 2 stock tt supra's one a 6 speed and the other a auto and the 6 speed whooped the auto's ass... (i know you guys were talking about it only being better in higher boost but i watched the vid last night on streetfire)
CelicaBuddy
Why do people not like automatics?? Is it just because their slower?

I personally, like automatic better... I can drive a manual, but I like how with automatic, you can just hit the gas n' go, and not concentrate on putting down the klutch and switch to 1st gear then 2nd and well... you know how it goes... Then when you havta come to a stop, you always havta put theklutch own and then go ack to 1st gear and do it all over again.... LOL Automatic doesn't require brain work... tongue.gif
Kadett
Manual gives a more Racing experience, especially when u can shift at the exact moment. I could do that for hours and hours and hours. Untill i have to hit the gas station for 70 euros of gas frown.gif
97sccelica
QUOTE(Kadett @ Jul 18, 2005 - 10:34 AM)
Manual gives a more Racing experience, especially when u can shift at the exact moment. I could do that for hours and hours and hours. Untill i have to hit the gas station for 70 euros of gas frown.gif
[right][snapback]313812[/snapback][/right]

a built supra with an auto tranny isnt gonna have a normal auto tranny.

just put a PA racing C4 tranny in my friend's turbo 5.4 mustang. the driver has to do the shifting, it will never shift on its own.

built autos are stronger, shift faster, and launch better than manuals. all that results in faster times.

turbo + auto = lots of fun. boost goes up after a shift, not down, acceleration is more seemless, and usually you get better traction.
darksecret
The auto might do better than the 5 speed, but the Getrag owns them all. The stock auto is only good for about 500hp, so if anyone says they have a stock auto Supra pushing 700hp they're lying or having very bad transmission problems. Autos are very good for drag because it takes the shifting and clutching side away leaving more room to concetrate on steering, without worry of missing a shift or granny shifting, the drawback to stock autos is that they do take longer to shift and unless you have a shift kit and linelock it's hard to get a launch right and control the rpms as easily, my personal favorite auto is the TH-400 simply because it's a factory beast with light weight, the TH-700 and 4L60/65E is a really good auto but produces more heat and wear out quicker, and a 4L80E will handle as much power as you could want a stock auto to handle, but it's heavy.
Mr_E
QUOTE(CelicaBuddy @ Jul 18, 2005 - 12:10 PM)
Why do people not like automatics?? Is it just because their slower?

I personally, like automatic better... I can drive a manual, but I like how with automatic, you can just hit the gas n' go, and not concentrate on putting down the klutch and switch to 1st gear then 2nd and well... you know how it goes... Then when you havta come to a stop, you always havta put theklutch own and then go ack to 1st gear and do it all over again.... LOL Automatic doesn't require brain work... tongue.gif
[right][snapback]313759[/snapback][/right]

Ok.

So your in a sweeping turn on the limit of grip. The auto box chooses that moment to shift gears, unbalancing the car and spitting you into a wall.

I'll change my own gears thanks.
Dr_Tweak
Drag racing = auto is better
Track racing = manual is better

Simple as that smile.gif
playr158
QUOTE(BlackSTX @ Jul 18, 2005 - 9:17 AM)
I'm pretty sure that the Supra was only offered as an automatic in the US in some years, probably the last few it was offered.  A LOT of old muscle drag cars are automatics, and they're very fast.
[right][snapback]313695[/snapback][/right]

^^^wow you really are outta the loop.....that was never ever done it was always an option to have auto or manual.....come on now
Major difference between the turbocharged cars drag racing with different transmission...

Automatic : Develops boost even stopped.

Manual : Does not develop boost when stopped.

You're thinking launching with even 5psi will be faster than launching from vacuum. But in road courses and such, where you actually have to turn, I agree with Mr. E. I'll change my own gears.
darksecret
In 1996 the USDM Supra came in auto N/A only because the Turbo model couldn't pass the OBD II conversion standards. It would also help explain why they made it a special edition for all the models to help boost sales.
Mr_E
QUOTE(Newbie @ Jul 19, 2005 - 2:43 AM)

Manual : Does not develop boost when stopped.

What's stopping me covering the brakes, and winding the car up against them in 1st gear?

Rally cars used to launch off the handbrake for this reason.
Ha ha, sorry.. Should have said neutral launching.. Don't get so technical on me Mr. E. You sound like an angry mechanic there..
Mr_E
tongue.gif
97sccelica
QUOTE(playr158 @ Jul 18, 2005 - 8:35 PM)
QUOTE(BlackSTX @ Jul 18, 2005 - 9:17 AM)
I'm pretty sure that the Supra was only offered as an automatic in the US in some years, probably the last few it was offered.  A LOT of old muscle drag cars are automatics, and they're very fast.
[right][snapback]313695[/snapback][/right]

^^^wow you really are outta the loop.....that was never ever done it was always an option to have auto or manual.....come on now
[right][snapback]314093[/snapback][/right]

in CA, in 1996, there were no 6spd TT supras, they were all autos

QUOTE(Newbie @ Jul 19, 2005 - 12:12 PM)
Ha ha, sorry.. Should have said neutral launching.. Don't get so technical on me Mr. E. You sound like an angry mechanic there..
[right][snapback]314285[/snapback][/right]

i neutral launch my WRX, and with out using the brakes at all. it makes 10psi in neutral

5500rpm + 10psi = one hell of a launch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.