Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hornets and Mirrors
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
orvillescelica
A pacakge comes today and im all excited since i know they are the 5th gen mirrors i bought from some guy on celicatech. But when i open the box, immediatly 4 hornets fly out!! I open the window and they and they eventully fly away. So then i take the mirrors to the hose and wash them both out to try and see if there are any more hornets hidding behind the mirrors. Nothing, so i start to install the mirrors. First one goes ok, until i realize that the bolts for the 6th gen mirrors are different from the 5th gen ones. So since i already did the wiring on one mirror, i duct tape it in place and drive to Lowes. I take the other mirror inside with me to test the bolts and find the right one. I pay, go back home, and am about to start installing the other mirror when.... another hornet flies out!!! So back to the hose i go, trying to flush them out. I flush out another 4 more hornets, making 8 all together. But one hornet is scrappy and crawls his way back in. So currently, i have dunked the entire mirror assembly underwater to try and drown any and all remaining hornets. two questions:

Can hornets survive underwater like ants can?

Will dunking the mirrors underwater affect the power motor or any of the electric connections on the mirror?
jgreening
QUOTE(orvillescelica @ Jul 25, 2005 - 11:02 PM)
Will dunking the mirrors underwater affect the power motor or any of the electric connections on the mirror?
[right][snapback]316805[/snapback][/right]

Yea, it ruins them....

J/k man....I don't know the answer but I would be worried too. Did you think about using some hornet spray? It seems a little easier and you could just flush it out afterward.
mark_426
As long as you dont hook power up until the water is all evaporated, it will be fine.

I'd take a video of doing it to my video camera, but I wouldnt have anything to tape with :-P

I'd say try some insect killer of some sort... as jay suggested
amysmojo
crazy stuff!!!! whats ur address Orville? Ive got some bugs I want to mail to you too wink.gif

you are soooo lucky to hav 5th gen mirrors! I want to get a pair some day, cant wait to see them @ the meet!
FallenHero
QUOTE(amysmojo @ Jul 25, 2005 - 11:13 PM)
crazy stuff!!!! whats ur address Orville? Ive got some bugs I want to mail to you too wink.gif

you are soooo lucky to hav 5th gen mirrors! I want to get a pair some day, cant wait to see them @ the meet!
[right][snapback]316855[/snapback][/right]

I can see this happening on e-bay... mailing hornets to people you don't like for money. wink.gif
orvillescelica
Well, it looks like the drowning killed the left over hornets good. Now lets see if the drowning also killed the mirrors...
slipgun
just let them fully dry, I could dunk my motherboard in water for a day so long as I dry it out before I connect power to it.
orvillescelica
ok, just finished installing them. They were still a bit damp near the water insulation, but everything works ok. Thanks for the advice guys, but i still cant help think that from now on, i might have some dead hornets trapped in my mirrors....
madmods
hahaha thats pretty funny. I put a wiring guide on this forum. If I remember right I had to tap my mirrors.
orvillescelica
QUOTE(madmods @ Jul 26, 2005 - 12:54 PM)
hahaha thats pretty funny. I put a wiring guide on this forum. If I remember right I had to tap my mirrors.
[right][snapback]317052[/snapback][/right]

yeah, i searched and used your wiring diagram. Thanks a bunch!! it worked out perfectly. But you forgot to say that the bolts to fit the 5th gen mirrors are different from the bolts that are used on teh 6th gen mirrors.

Just for reference, i think the bolts that fit the 5th gen mirrors are 8mm x 1.25. I forget which ones i used but im 75% sure thats it.
dustin15brown
Yeah I was pissed... I was like WTF madmods.... U didn't warn me bout this
Cutrara
Thats weird... They were probably outside on a parts car or something for a while and the hornets moved in. Post pics when you get them all installed.
orvillescelica
car went into paint this morning. So any pics will have the 5th gen mirrors, front splitters, hiro exentions as all new things.... and will probably be at the seattle HIN meet with Coomers camera!
rudeboy3d
QUOTE(amysmojo @ Jul 26, 2005 - 1:13 AM)
[right][snapback]316855[/snapback][/right]

I don't see what's so special about 5th gen mirrors. I mean yeah they look awesome, but I think there are a buttload of 5th gen Celicas out there. I'm not talking in the streets either. I know in a boneyard by me there are at least 7 5th Celicas. Am I just lucky enough to live near the "Celica Graveyard"? I know Ohio is darn near plagued with Celicas of all shapes, colors, sizes, generations, religions, etc etc. lol. If you want a pair of the mirrors, hit up the junkyards.

Like my buddy said, "Junkyards are like museums, only cheaper and more fun." lol.

Funny sh!t about the hornets though. Least you didn't get stung.......

bang bang

BTW: Would it be possible to turbo a Geo Prism?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.