Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Question: Greddy Cat Back Exhaust Systems
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Chanh55
Probably obvious to most, but I'm just making sure...

Do the Greddy Cat Back Exhuast systems come with catalytic converters?

I think that's why they're called "Cat" back, someone please verify.

My car failed smog test, repair guy said I need a new catalytic converter ($145), I'm buying a greddy cat back anyways, so I just want to know if I can save a little money.
shin
yes. greddy's exhaust does come with a cat. but the difference is that it have lesser restriction than the stock one. so better flow... but correct me if i'm wrong
presure2
shin, you've been corrected wink.gif
they do NOT come with a cat. THATS why theyre called "cat-back" cause they run from the END of the cat, back. smile.gif
lagos
shin, you are probably thinking of the resonator that is placed under the car. like manny said, its from your stock cat...back.
Chanh55
So... I gotta buy a catalytic converter as well as the cat-back? Stupid emission laws...
shin
thanks manny and art. but chan.. i dunno if you need a cat since Greddy's exhaust systems are suppose to be legal. noise and emissions should be tested to be able to pass inspection?
presure2
if his cat is bad, vin, he'll need to replace it. the 50 state legal part of the greddy is sound. wink.gif
lagos
it bolts on to your stock cat. look under the car, right under where the center console is, there should be a factory cat right there.

the term cat-back, means that the system connects from the factory cat, all the way back to the muffler.
Illyont
Greddy is street legal because it uses the factory cat (as people have already said). If your factory cat is broken, adding the Greddy system will still make you fail emission tests.

If you can pass the test (with a broken or working cat or whatever) you will also pass the test after installing the Greddy cat-back system (in most cases at least.. nothing is set in stone).
playr158
illyont your view is a little off..
If your factory cat is broken, adding the Greddy system will still make you fail emission tests.

if your factory cat is broken and you add a greddy system you will fail because of your broken cat NOT the greddy system
greddy = cat back meaning from after your stock cat converter back
Galcobar
So two options -- get a direct-fit cat (often really expensive) or a universal and have it either directly welded on or have the exhaust shop weld on flanges and then bolt it on.

Just make sure the universal one is long enough to take up the space the flanges would on a direct fit -- for a 94 GT, direct fit is an 8.5" long including the flanges, while the universal is an eight-inch body with two inches of piping on either side.
Illyont
QUOTE(playr158 @ Aug 9, 2005 - 8:15 AM)
illyont your view is a little off..
If your factory cat is broken, adding the Greddy system will still make you fail emission tests.

if your factory cat is broken and you add a greddy system you will fail because of your broken cat NOT the greddy system
greddy = cat back meaning from after your stock cat converter back
[right][snapback]322217[/snapback][/right]

Like I said..

I didn't say you fail because of the Greddy system.

me: "If your factory cat is broken, adding the Greddt system _will still_ make you fail emission tests".

That means of course, you will fail without the Greddy, and with the Greddy.

I also said this:

"Greddy is street legal because it uses the factory cat (as people have already said)."

So I think my post was clear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.