Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: water injection systems
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
nik
well since my motor is going in as we speak i was looking into getting a water injection system

i looked around but does anyone know a good reliable system?

And is anyone running one?
jgreening
double post
jgreening
I have heard good things about Aquamist.  There is a guy on the MR2 boards that makes ones with better pumps and lines that aquamist.  His name and system are known as the "Joe O." water injection kit.  He made it for the 3sgte.  I am not sure if it has any components that are specific to that engine.  His kit has gotten rave reviews on the MR2 board.

I am not going to run water injection because I do not plan to push my engine to its limits. I do think its a good idea when you do though. The one thing you should remember is that if you tune for water injection and then have a clogged line, pump failure, or empty resavoir, you could induce detonation. Bottom line: if you get water injection, check regularly that your system is working properly.
nik
QUOTE(jgreening @ Aug 12, 2005 - 11:28 AM)
I have heard good things about Aquamist.  There is a guy on the MR2 boards that makes ones with better pumps and lines that aquamist.  His name and system are known as the "Joe O." water injection kit.  He made it for the 3sgte.  I am not sure if it has any components that are specific to that engine.  His kit has gotten rave reviews on the MR2 board.

I am not going to run water injection because I do not plan to push my engine to its limits.  I do think its a good idea when you do though.  The one thing you should remember is that if you tune for water injection and then have a clogged line, pump failure, or empty resavoir, you could induce detonation.  Bottom line: if you get water injection, check regularly that your system is working properly.
[right][snapback]323444[/snapback][/right]

thanks for the input
GT4WRC
Aquamist are certainly up there with the best - they make the systems for most of the WRC cars.
I've had their kits on a couple of cars now and plan on fitting one to my GT-FOUR and my Rover rally car. You can buy parts now which will reduce boost etc when the water runs out so you virtually eliminate the chances of detonating the engine if it is relying on the H2O.
Out of interest, why do you want to run WI?
Gary
nik
QUOTE(GT4WRC @ Aug 12, 2005 - 12:11 PM)
Aquamist are certainly up there with the best - they make the systems for most of the WRC cars.
I've had their kits on a couple of cars now and plan on fitting one to my GT-FOUR and my Rover rally car. You can buy parts now which will reduce boost etc when the water runs out so you virtually eliminate the chances of detonating the engine if it is relying on the H2O.
Gary
[right][snapback]323464[/snapback][/right]

i just invested a large amount of money in my 7agte and i want an extra safty device i'm not going to tune the motor for WI just have it on there as insurance
GT4WRC
Unless you're actually having detonation issues, then it would be a waste of money. WI is designed for in cylinder cooling allowing you to run higher boost levels with higher CRs or altering the ignition advance.
I'm putting a mappable system on my rally car as I'll be increasing the CR to around 9.0:1 with increased boost to improve low end power. Unless you're planning things klike that then I'd say you'de be better off spending your $ on something more worthwhile.
Gary
jgreening
QUOTE(nik @ Aug 12, 2005 - 2:51 PM)
QUOTE(GT4WRC @ Aug 12, 2005 - 12:11 PM)
Gary
[right][snapback]323464[/snapback][/right]

i just invested a large amount of money in my 7agte and i want an extra safty device i'm not going to tune the motor for WI just have it on there as insurance
[right][snapback]323479[/snapback][/right]

Also, if you don't intend to tune the car for water injection once its installed and operational, there is really no point of putting it on in the first place. I have also read that adding water injection to a car that is not having detonation issues and leaving the tune alone will actually lower power output at the same boost levels.
GT4WRC
QUOTE(jgreening @ Aug 12, 2005 - 4:33 PM)
I have also read that adding water injection to a car that is not having detonation issues and leaving the tune alone will actually lower power output at the same boost levels.
[right][snapback]323507[/snapback][/right]

Yep. Same thing goes if you use too large a nozzle. Too much water injected into the system will effectively act as a fire supression system - reducing the in cylinder combustion burn which in turn reduces power output.
Gary
presure2
i agree with j about the joes kits, ive read the same over on the mr2 board.
i think WI is a good idea in your case, nik, especially once you start upping the boost.
keep us informed! smile.gif
nik
QUOTE(presure2 @ Aug 12, 2005 - 2:43 PM)
i agree with j about the joes kits, ive read the same over on the mr2 board.
i think WI is a good idea in your case, nik, especially once you start upping the boost.
keep us informed! smile.gif
[right][snapback]323513[/snapback][/right]

well i talked to the shop i'm going to add it to my set up in a few months when i try and push for 400whp then i'll have tuned for it also
97sccelica
i have a cooling mist WI kit.

when i installed it(100psi pump, 2 gallon tank, and 3.9gph nozzle) my car would missfire when the system was turned on. it would missfire a lot. on the dyno, with a rich tune and little spark advance, i gained 20whp. since then i leaned the car out more and added as much as 7 deg timing advance all across the map.

the car is a monster compared to what 91 octane limited me to prior to the water injection.
playr158
NIK isnt this covered in the boost book wink.gif

"WI is just a bandaid for an improperly designed system, and you should do it right the first time" (paraphrazed)
97sccelica
QUOTE(playr158 @ Aug 13, 2005 - 8:43 PM)
NIK isnt this covered in the boost book wink.gif

"WI is just a bandaid for an improperly designed system, and you should do it right the first time" (paraphrazed)
[right][snapback]323907[/snapback][/right]

i wouldnt call it a bandaid

lets just say its like shopping at a K mart clearance sale instead of shoping at a store on rodeo drive.

if im gonna run race gas, the car damn well better be making 600+ hp to warrant the $75+ it would cost to fill up
nik
i dont want to run race gas at this time i want this to be a pump monster which up hear is 92 octane i think with a little tuning time and a little bigger turbo i can hit 400+whp right now its looking to be in the 320-350whp range at about 14-15 psi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.