Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rims
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Suspension/Handling/Braking
Defgeph
I think I'm going to install 16x8 inch rims, once I find something I like.
Whats offset would I be looking for with this set up.
Looking to be flush with the fenders.

Thanks
DEF
zachattack15
sell me your old rims!
Defgeph
QUOTE(zachattack15 @ Sep 21, 2005 - 7:58 PM)
sell me your old rims!
[right][snapback]337139[/snapback][/right]

Haha, they're all beat up. Major curb rash on them.
I dont know if I'm gonna sell them just yet. If I can find some thicker tires for cheap, I might throw those back on. I do want wider rims though, we'll see.

DEF
shin
def, join the club. 7th gen GTS rims lol.
lagos
35 offset on an 8in wide rim. it would basically look as flush as TTEs 17x8s
Defgeph
thanks Art.

Shin I want wider and lighter than the GTS wheels.

DEF
95CelicaST
I have 16X8 rims. I have a 225/50R tire on them. Offset is +35 and they are flush with the fenders.
Silver94CelicaOwner
Jeff I would say stick with your bronze wheels....I used to love those on your car when you re-painted them.

With the money you'll save from buying another set of wheels you can buy an excellent set of like 215/40/17 tires or maybe even 225/40/17 for the added protection. True, your old 205/40/17's would be the same profile, but the added weight of the swap would probably make a 45 profile rub up front. Besides....if you look at Mercedes and new BMW's and what-not they use a very thin tire and give it surplus width for more grip and protection to the wheels over rough roads.

I personally think that something like the 225/40/17 would work great, considering you now have the Civic for the rougher roads around here and the Celica can be built no-compromises. wink.gif
Defgeph
I hear ya man, but there is always that rouge pot hole with my name on it.

Did I mention I have no suspension travel.

DEF
jess_i_74
Well, you could just drive reeaaall slow so you don't hit the bumps too hard . . . biggrin.gif

Or, really fast, so you just fly over them.

I'm guessing the latter.
Defgeph
I wish it was that easy.
+43, +45 Offset would do
lagos
im on 205-40s with my car and i know what you mean... i really hate my ride quality, and the extra weight from the 3s makes the car sit lower up front then it did before. tho for the record, i havent had any isses with blown tires or anything in the one year that ive had my swaped car for.

i think the best thing to do is to research the oem tire sizes that auto makers put on cars they sell with factory 17s. they normally manage to find a good balance for ride quality and handling. i know the TC comes with 215-45s, i think the srt4 comes with 205-50s and a 350z comes with 225-50s... so dont be afraid to put a bigger tire on there, we have HUGE wheel wells.
jgreening
QUOTE(1900 @ Sep 23, 2005 - 11:37 AM)
+43, +45 Offset would do
[right][snapback]337640[/snapback][/right]

Are you sure about that? Coomer posted a white car with 8" wide rims and a 35 offset awhile back that reported no rubbing. Based on my calculations, even 35 would be very close to rubbing on suspension components. I would not go higher than 35 on an 8" rim. If your car is dropped more than 1.5", you will definitely need to roll the rear fenders.
95CelicaST
8" with a 35 offset is insanely close to rubbing. I will see if I can get a picture of the wheel well to show how close it is to the suspension stuff.
TTE
QUOTE(95CelicaST @ Sep 23, 2005 - 1:43 PM)
8" with a 35 offset is insanely close to rubbing. I will see if I can get a picture of the wheel well to show how close it is to the suspension stuff.
[right][snapback]337723[/snapback][/right]

Not at all. I have this set up for more then 50K already with 225/45/17 tires TRD springs and never rubed once.
Jdog1385
id look for stock toyota wheels...not sure about the offset/lug pattern on a stock supra wheel but that would be hot.
95CelicaST
QUOTE(TTE @ Sep 24, 2005 - 8:52 AM)

Not at all. I have this set up for more then 50K already with 225/45/17 tires TRD springs and never rubed once.
[right][snapback]337921[/snapback][/right]

I'm talking about rubbing against the suspension, not the fender well.
TTE
QUOTE(95CelicaST @ Sep 24, 2005 - 10:41 AM)

[right][snapback]337931[/snapback][/right]

What do you mean by rubbing against suspension? Does it affect or harm anything?
lagos
umm...i think you have a lot of room before you hit the suspension. 8in wide with 35 offset wouldnt cause that problem
lagos
TTE... do you have any good pics of your wheels with those 225-45 tires on them?
jgreening
QUOTE(TTE @ Sep 24, 2005 - 3:06 PM)
QUOTE(95CelicaST @ Sep 24, 2005 - 10:41 AM)

[right][snapback]337931[/snapback][/right]

What do you mean by rubbing against suspension? Does it affect or harm anything?
[right][snapback]337958[/snapback][/right]

If your set-up has an offset that is too big, the inside of the rim will hit the struts - especially while turning. You would know it if you had the problem. TTE, we now have you and one other person that reports no problems with 8" wide rims and 35mm offsets so that pretty much confirms that the set-up is ok.

On my set-up, I have a 7 1/2" rim, 48 offset and 15mm spacer. As far as suspension components go, I am about 4 mm further away from the suspension components than you are and 8 mm further inside the outside of the car. On the rear, the inside of my fender is directly over the outside of my tire. This means that the outside of your tire is likely 3/8 of an inch outside the inside of your rim. I would imagine that if you had enough suspension travel, the rears would hit if you didn't have your fenders rolled. Its probably just the TRD progressive springs doing a good job at keeping the chassis up. I have them as well and they are pretty damn stiff in the back.

TTE
QUOTE(lagos @ Sep 24, 2005 - 1:10 PM)
TTE... do you have any good pics of your wheels with those 225-45 tires on them?
[right][snapback]337960[/snapback][/right]

Art,
As soon as I get new pic I will post it
ems3s
I have 18x8 46+ offset w/ 225/40r18 and have no problem what so ever. My car is lowered around 3.5inches too. I have stock guards and you can't see any gap between the tyre and guard from side on, but they never hit the guards, as your suspension compresses it developes more camber which lets the wheels clear the guards.

If a wheel doesn't hit the strut when straight and stationary it can never hit the strut as the distance is fixed between the two. They're directly bolted together by the hub. What you have to worry about is the guard clearance with wheels that have +ve offset higher than 48.

I'm planning to go a 235/40 on the rear to give it a tougher look soon.

Cutrara
QUOTE(Jdog1385 @ Sep 24, 2005 - 1:13 PM)
id look for stock toyota wheels...not sure about the offset/lug pattern on a stock supra wheel but that would be hot.
[right][snapback]337924[/snapback][/right]

Supra wheels aren't 5x100, they are 5x114.3 or whatever, but it would look nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.