Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking about getting an MR2 turbo
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
Phat_99CeliGT
Last night i drove a kids 91 Mr2 NA 5spd.
i loved it. for being an NA i was suprised at the power it had. I drove it for about 30 minutes around town. got on it in 2nd and 3rd and came back with a big smile on my face.
for being a big guy, i was REALLY suprised with the room it had in the cabin. i fit nice and comfortable in it.
I drove a Miata a lil while B4 that and my head stuck out over the windshield.
lol

Another friend of mine bought this Mr2 T a couple months ago.
user posted image
Cardomain
he got it dynoed at about 250 to the rear wheels. the guy he bought it from took some of the aftermarket off the car when he sold it. i forget what.

im gonna try and see if the kid, yes i said kid(just turned 16), will trade me the 2 plus like $2k for my Celica. if not, then when i sell the Celica, im gonna try and find an Mr2 T for a good price. and if the price is right, ill buy an Mr2 na as a daily driver and leave the 2T for my beast car.
lol

just figured i would share
Cutrara
I've always wanted an MR2... Too expensive/hard to find in my area. So I "settled" for my Celica, but I still love it. Good luck man, and don't forget pics when you pick one up.
vangSTa_celica
Wow. So do you really think the "kid's" MR2 is worth $12,000, seeing that you're selling your car for $14,000. Well, whatever happens, good luck Jared.
lagos
its amazing how quickly you change your mind about cars

you have an amazing looking car..just keep it and enjoy it
dustin15brown
slap a turbo on yours and you will smile from ear to ear.... or u can swap a st205 3s and it's a basically new car.. and you will smile even more
Phat_99CeliGT
i have no job and can't work for another month.
there is no way im gonna be able to get the cash together to turbo the Celica.
boosted_K2
theres no contest between the feel behind the wheel of a celica and a MR2 anyone who has truely driven one will know what im talking about. the MR2 is a sports car, the celica is a sport compact, theres a big difference in driver feel... even if they are using the same motor.

the difference is in the utility of the car... a celica is a 4 seater hatchback with plenty of cargo room, the MR2 is a 2-seater tin can that doesnt fit much. the extent of my creativity has allowed me to pile: myself, 4 race tires, an 11-gallon air tank, a craftsman quick-jack, random tools, spacers, lugs, racing helmet, and a small cooler all at once, thats quite the task lol
Akimbo
god that red deuce is hot, they're so nice looking
Phat_99CeliGT
well, i talked to the kids brother tonight. he said he was gonna talk to his brother and see what he says.
im hoping he says ok, but if not, ill just keep looking.
Jaws4God
yeah i probably would have gotten an MR2 when i was car shopping.. but i needed something practical... and 2 seats is just not enough if i need to give someone a ride home when i have a passenger already.. :-(
Jaws4God
Man that red one is pretty sweet... not diggin the 2 scoops though... little weird..
Jaws4God
But I would like to drive one sometime and get an idea for how they drive.
Digndoug
I hate you, now another car for me to want.. basterd.. only problem is hard to find.
Driveby
Are there no real (not swap) ST205 GT4's for you guys? . I know they didnt sell it on the US market but there should be a load of imports available?
lagos
QUOTE(Driveby @ Sep 25, 2005 - 2:04 PM)
Are there no real (not swap) ST205 GT4's for you guys? . I know they didnt sell it on the US market but there should be a load of imports available?
[right][snapback]338164[/snapback][/right]

no, you cant import a 205 to america... or at least its not something thats easy to do. i think there are maybe 1-2 real gt4s that people managed to imptor into america.

mr2s are really differnt cars then a fwd celica. make sure you know what you are getting yourself into when u buy one. they are very easy to spin out and it takes years to really get the feel for the car and to learn to control it.
Digndoug
QUOTE(lagos @ Sep 25, 2005 - 2:32 PM)
QUOTE(Driveby @ Sep 25, 2005 - 2:04 PM)
[right][snapback]338164[/snapback][/right]

no, you cant import a 205 to america... or at least its not something thats easy to do. i think there are maybe 1-2 real gt4s that people managed to imptor into america.

mr2s are really differnt cars then a fwd celica. make sure you know what you are getting yourself into when u buy one. they are very easy to spin out and it takes years to really get the feel for the car and to learn to control it.
[right][snapback]338176[/snapback][/right]

Thats any mid engine rwd car. Personaly I had an fiero, which was basicaly the same thing. I loved it, yeah it was harder to drive in the rain, but fun as anything. I always like chalanges.

But I was looking around, atleats in this area, and ones that are 91 with 140k are asking for $6500.. sheat theres a 93 with 4100 orig miles, asking for $40,000.. im like wtf mate.
boosted_K2
its actually kind of a myth that they are "easy to spin out"

they are very easy to get greedy in... especially the turbo model... the car just grips and grips and grips and you dont notice how close (and most times far away) you are to the threshold of your tires/suspension... alot of people just get complacent and over confident (AKA think they are a bad ass) and just push it over its limit. they ARE hard to figure out how to regain control if you have never driven a MR layout before... the snap oversteer is very interesting and can really scare the crap out of you when/if it happens for the first time. ive only spun once between the 2 MR2s i had... this was at a DRSCCA event at the silverdome last month, it happened on a quick switchback and the rear just BARELY peeked out... i tried to stay in the throttle, but i had to make it back around to setup for the slalom so i lifted the throttle a slight bit and it was enough to have the weight transfer slightly forward and the back end came around... thats racing... and i did end up second in class that day, so no complaints.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.