Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a couple questions
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mon3y19
1. is it normal that when i start my car, smoke comes out of my muffler? i mean it goes on and on and on. is this just because i need to change oil? or do i need to replace my muffler? it's burnt a lil bit.

2. where is the vacuum hose located? im trying to locate it and plug it so it'll stop making frickin' knocking noises and make it stop idling so high. i went under the car and couldn't find it.

thanks
Batman722
OMG

ok, it depends on the color of the smoke comming out (whiteish, blueish, black). A little is fine but if it is excessive then it could be a problem.

There are many vaccum hoses in the engine bay. they are small black tubes that run from the throttle body to sensors and such. Check them all because it sounds like one (or more) is cracked or disconnected.

to put is simplily, knocking noises and a lot of smoke = bad
mon3y19
to put is simplily, knocking noises and a lot of smoke = bad
[right][snapback]342185[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

well im thinking that the smoke isn't that big of a deal cause only a lil comes out...and i believe its because i need an oil change...the knocking noise has to be because of the vacuum hose unplugged...my brother in law said it should be fine after i plug it in...i need to find where it goes...i looked at the diagram but can't seem to find it...there are two hose that go there next to eachother...but i can't find the other?..it's just frustrating man...i took about an hour yesterday looking all over for it...any help with pics would help...ill post up some pics if any of you guys are confused...
Bigmeanbulldog55
How could a vacume hose cause an engine to knock? I don't think that's right. I guess it could mess with the computer. If it is the cause, and you don't get it fixed quick, it'll make a real knock. Anything knocking just gets worse with time. Almost any smoke is bad in my opinion. When I start mine up, there's a little burp of it, but that it. Sounds like your car has some serious issues.
mon3y19
QUOTE(Bigmeanbulldog55 @ Oct 7, 2005 - 11:20 AM)
How could a vacume hose cause an engine to knock?  I don't think that's right.  I guess it could mess with the computer.  If it is the cause, and you don't get it fixed quick, it'll make a real knock.  Anything knocking just gets worse with time.  Almost any smoke is bad in my opinion.  When I start mine up, there's a little burp of it, but that it.  Sounds like your car has some serious issues.
[right][snapback]342211[/snapback][/right]

my brother in law says that i just need to plug the vacuum hose...that's what's making the noise...the smoke im not too worried...its just the muffler...i think i just need to replace it...it's quite old...otherwise the car runs great though...
Bigmeanbulldog55
I don't understand why you even posted this. You've already made up your mind about what is going on and what your going to fix, and what the problem is. You'll see what actually wrong later on when what you do doesn't fix the problem.
mon3y19
QUOTE(Bigmeanbulldog55 @ Oct 7, 2005 - 12:55 PM)
I don't understand why you even posted this.  You've already made up your mind about what is going on and what your going to fix, and what the problem is.  You'll see what actually wrong later on when what you do doesn't fix the problem.
[right][snapback]342234[/snapback][/right]

no i dont...it's just what i think...but what if it doesn't work?...yeah then im deffinitely stuck...im for sure the smoke is oil...ill check and let yall know...
celicast3sgte
dude take your car to a mechanic becuase you clearly dont know what your looking for an last time i let a knock go... i spun a rod bearing... you might not know what that is but the motor came out and it got rebuilt piece by piece with many many new parts.. and your bro in law has no clue what hes talking about theres no way a hose will make your engine knock and like what was said earlier if it knocks it only gets worse from there. take it to a shop.
95ST
QUOTE(mon3y19 @ Oct 7, 2005 - 10:11 AM)
QUOTE(Bigmeanbulldog55 @ Oct 7, 2005 - 11:20 AM)
How could a vacume hose cause an engine to knock?  I don't think that's right.  I guess it could mess with the computer.  If it is the cause, and you don't get it fixed quick, it'll make a real knock.  Anything knocking just gets worse with time.  Almost any smoke is bad in my opinion.  When I start mine up, there's a little burp of it, but that it.  Sounds like your car has some serious issues.
[right][snapback]342211[/snapback][/right]

my brother in law says that i just need to plug the vacuum hose...that's what's making the noise...the smoke im not too worried...its just the muffler...i think i just need to replace it...it's quite old...otherwise the car runs great though...
[right][snapback]342225[/snapback][/right]

Im sorry but I think you are being mislead. Smoke is not caused by a bad muffler, esp if it is only when you are starting the car. Generally that is a blueish smoke caused by bad valves. And a knocking sound is pretty vauge, but see if you can locate where it is comming from to help us help you. How loud is it?
mon3y19

Im sorry but I think you are being mislead. Smoke is not caused by a bad muffler, esp if it is only when you are starting the car. Generally that is a blueish smoke caused by bad valves. And a knocking sound is pretty vauge, but see if you can locate where it is comming from to help us help you. How loud is it?
[right][snapback]342338[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

the knock isn't loud at all...it's coming from where i need to connect the vacuum hose...but can't find it...someone plz help!...i will post up pics today so you guys can help me...
Niskyspy
And I was scared when my car gave me a puff of white smoke when I started it up.!!!
Silver94CelicaOwner
Definately just take it to a shop. I'm not sure what color smoke you're really seeing , but it doesnt sound right....it could be any number of things wrong and a shop will know what to do and save you a big headache.

I dont know, I've learned to rely on professionals in the event theres something that needs to be diagnosed properly....altough its rare for me to have any problems in the first place. But do it right, please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.