Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Octane boosters / water injection?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
CilverSeliST205
Where i live at i cant find fuel any higher than 91, besides even if i would i probably wouldnt be able to afford it for daily driving, so do you guys think i should invest in water injection, i found contradicting opinions..

Mr. Corky Bell author of "Maximum Boost" basically says that water injection is not a good idea and should generally be avoided, unless there is no intercooler then it could be helpful but not something to rely on.

Aquamist on the other hand points out few facts:
-intercooler makes air cooler = denser = more power = higher pressure and combustion temp = water injection can help lower combustion temp and prevent onset of engine knock
-Someone from their site claims that adding Methanol, Acetone or Benzole in 1:10 ratio with water can increase octane rating by 5 (at most)

As far as i know 3gen 3sgte was designed for 94-96 octane so there is a possibility that with 91 at 13-14 psi there could be some ping and when sensor catches that it decreases boost or lowers fuel pressure or retards timing or something like that.. which in turn decreases max power output... so would water injection increase power to the same level as hi grade gas(not really increase but prevent from power decrease duh..)? is there a disadvantage? does it extend engine life?

i searched but its always different opinions, sorry for such long post

WannabeGT4
Just use premium. You'll be fine. Our gas is rated differently. Japans 94-96 (RON) is equal to our 90-92 (RON+MON)/2.

Most recent thread regarding octane ratings:
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30685
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.