Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: no simple noob answer, PLZ HELP
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mandrek
well about a month and a half ago, I was getting really bad noise from my alternator, and a sort of electrical burning smell, unlike rubber, and it came down to my just replacing it (and the belt). Apparently the bearings went bad. But the thing is until the noise (a grinding (like a metal on metal cricket chirper) got really bad, it only made noise when I turned the steering wheel. (When the power steering was being used) but the noise would go away after a lil bit of time w/ the car running. Until that is the alternator's bearing ground down, and it made the noise the whole time.

Now it's a month and a half later, and the east coast is having its first major cold days of winter, and my car started doing the noise again. (And the smell came back too) which worries me cus I just shelled out the money to buy the new unit.

So my question is. Could it be the power steering pump going out on me, or slugging behind? And thus putting additional stress on the primary accessory, (the alternator)? The car is a 95 ST and has about 100K on it. I picked it off my brother as a hand me down, and at that point I changed almost all the fluids. (Tranny, oil, coolant, brake's) the only thing that I didn’t do was the power steering.

Should I get a new pump,flued,filter,belt for the power steering? And get my alternator looked at?? Is this the right course of action?

Plz only positive opinions, and helpful comments.

Thank you in advance

mandrek
Bigmeanbulldog55
You've got you a simple problem there. You see, when it gets colder out, the belts loose some of there "stickieness." They just harden up a little. All you have to do is tighten it just a bit. It has an adjuster, doesn't it? I know the 5s does. If by some chance it is your powersteering, just check the powersteering fuild. If it's low, then it needs to have some stop leak put in there. That's an easy fix. If it's really busted, you'll have to replace seals and lines some. Don't over fill the powersteering, it's just like oil. To much, and it'll do more damage than not enough. I hope that helps.
Digndoug
belts.. thats it.. replace them
Bigmeanbulldog55
QUOTE(Digndoug @ Nov 18, 2005 - 1:19 PM) [snapback]357043[/snapback]

belts.. thats it.. replace them

Doesn't need to replace them, just tighten them. He said he just replaced them.
mandrek
ok i will try these solution and let u all know. (b4 the end of the weekend)
thank you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.