Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil filter removal secrets
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Terzin1
Whats the secret to getting that oil filter unscrewed, mine wont budge?
Dr_Tweak
There's a little tool that you can buy, it's a black plastic peice that fits over the end of the filter and then you attach a rachet to it, they work pretty good.

The strap-type wrenches are usually too big for the small Toyota filters.
Terzin1
i need something to use right here while my car is suspended
Dr_Tweak
Puncture it with a long screwdriver so that it sticks out the other side, the turn the screwdriver.
soulshadow
Take a cloth a wet one and wrap it around the filter. then tighten it with your hands or grip it hard and turn!!!!
Learn it the poor way.
Terzin1
ive been trying just turning it. that hasnt done ****.
I dont know how in the world you could get a a screwdriver punctured through the damn thing, there is absolutely no space
the thing untwistes by turning it counterclockwise correct?
soulshadow
QUOTE(Terzin1 @ Nov 26, 2005 - 10:21 PM) [snapback]359916[/snapback]

ive been trying just turning it. that hasnt done ****.
I dont know how in the world you could get a a screwdriver punctured through the damn thing, there is absolutely no space
the thing untwistes by turning it counterclockwise correct?

Yeah I think so. If you can get a cloth and wrap it around the oil it works much better cause it provides a grip. A screwdriver through the filter might provide problems if it decides to not come off and you end up cutting the filter with the driver. You will need lots of muscle since you don't have the oil removal tool thingy.
Valo666
grab a rag, crank it on a bit harder then crank it off. Should work, if not then buy a oil filter wrench, or u can du the screw driver method, but it might end up gettin fragments of the filter, filter housing or all the crap the filter might just go back into ur system.
blu94gt
QUOTE(Valo666 @ Nov 26, 2005 - 11:39 PM) [snapback]359962[/snapback]

grab a rag, crank it on a bit harder then crank it off. Should work, if not then buy a oil filter wrench, or u can du the screw driver method, but it might end up gettin fragments of the filter, filter housing or all the crap the filter might just go back into ur system.

just twist with all your might and remember when you're putting on your new filter that it should just be FINGER TIGHT! I'm not talkin loose but don't crank that bitch on there as hard as you can. After I started doing the oil on my car I haven't had any problems getting my filter off, but the first time I tried oh boy I about put my elbow into the radiator. Just grab onto that thing and TWIST.

Oh and buying a filter that has a grip surface like the FRAM filters is helpful
Hanyo
next time dont tighten the filter on so tight.

remember to take some old oil and lub the seal before you install the new filter.

worse comes to worse, take it to some shop to remove the filter.
CheesyLobster
Vice grips.
ice23q
Hacksaw... or plazma cutter....
Silver94CelicaOwner
They have a huge assortment of oil filter wrenches for really tricky jobs that are available in any auto parts store or Wal-Mart for that matter. Put some torque onto that bia and it should come off. wink.gif

Next time you change filters, put some fresh clean oil on your finger tip and coat the rubber seal on the oil filter with a thin layer of oil to keep it from sticking like that....works like a charm everytime, and I can usually loosen it by just putting on a leather glove for better grip.
bufferdan
Go to walmart...get one of these for 3$ smile.gif
user posted image
Supersprynt
Channel locks.
CanadaCelica
What did the trick for me one time was i used some coarse sandpaper like 60 or 80 grit, wrapped it around the filter and turned, worked really well and came off no problem...
Terzin1
alright, heres what i did. I took your standard open-ended spanner "c" wrench (an old crappy 3/4")one and hammered it into the top of the filter. i then took a crescent wrench and clamped it to the shaft of the spanner wrench to turnthe dern thing. worked pretty well.

Thanks for the advice tho guys. I didnt have any sandpaper, every place was closed when i wanted to buy the dang key, and I dont have a plasma cutter at the ready so i had to go with an episode of McGuiver and a little bit of ingenuity to help me. I guess if Chuck Norris were around he could round-house kick the dern thing off for me.
jayi12-15psi
Dern? Stop it, please, that hurts when I read it in my head.
Dr_Tweak
Plasma cutter???
Supersprynt
Light saber??
jayi12-15psi
custom work would be so easy with a light saber...
1900WattCelica
QUOTE(ice23q @ Nov 28, 2005 - 1:16 AM) [snapback]360410[/snapback]

Hacksaw... or plazma cutter....

lol laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.