Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo Manifold question
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
JoKeRkId613
My manifold was made to use a t3t4 turbo. i want to use a t3 tho. does the t3 have the same flange as a t3t4 so i could use the same one? thanks.
nik
wow umm i dont know what to say
nik
this is a very basic question
the exhaust side the one with the flange on it (on a t3t4 the t3 is the exhaust side and the t4 is the intake side)
the intake side is the silver part of the turbo
so more than likely you have a t3 tufbo flange on your manifold that can fit a t3 of almost any trim 40,50,60 super 60 or the hybrid turbos t3t4 of almost any trim 50,60 you get the idea

user posted image
jgreening
It is somewhat basic but not a dumb question. I always get confused on the T3/T4 which is which as far as the compressor and turbine.
JoKeRkId613
omg this is great news! i freakin love you guys no matter how stupid you make me feel! lol. no i dont have to get another mani. you think it was my idea to use a t3t4? yea right. t3 super 60. lol. jk. lets see what good t3 i can find. i know the t3t4 is hybrid so i figured it was somewhat like that but not exactly. and i also saw a t3t4 to t3 adapter and thats y i got confused. why would they sell that then?
jgreening
Is this for your ST or do you have a 3sgte?
JoKeRkId613
QUOTE(jgreening @ Nov 29, 2005 - 4:57 PM) [snapback]361331[/snapback]
Is this for your ST or do you have a 3sgte?
this is for my st. it will be more powerful than a 3sgte. lol. HEY, i can dream alright... so dont flame me.
jgreening
In that case, a straight T3 sounds like alot better option than a T3/T4.
JoKeRkId613
hmm... ok, well a couple extra questions. i have the choice of getting a water cooled t3 or oil cooled. which one should i go with? and a choice of internally waste gated or non gated. my manifold doesnt have the wastegate flange thing on it and im not sure what im supposed to do about that. i read that external is better. so what would i need to do so that its external? thanks. o, sorry for all the dumb questions in advance.
jgreening
How big is your exhaust. If its 2.5" or less, an internally gated unit will be fine. If its more, and you are pushing very high power, the internal gate may not allow enough exhaust gases to pass and you could get boost creep. What have the other 7afte guys used? I usually don't follow those posts.

Water cool any turbo car, IMO. Its a little more expensive but well worth it. Water cooling is much more effective - and makes a turbo timer less important.

The only dumb questions are the ones that don't get researched or asked.
playr158
well lets see i'd say go with an internally wastegated T3 60 trim...
external is better as it does offer better control (to use this i would suggest a B16 turbo manifold with swappped block flanges such as clement did)

and don't get water cooled, IMO if your single cooled i'd use oil for the fact its much easier to hook up and more commonly done...

presure2
and don't get water cooled, IMO if your single cooled i'd use oil for the fact its much easier to hook up and more commonly done...

i GOTTA disagree there, dan.
if you can get a water cooled turbo, your MUCH better off.
nik
i though it was oil or oil and water but not just water and oil and water is the best way to go for cooling any extra cooling helps a turbo
scothaniel
I have the choice of getting a water cooled t3 or oil cooled.

Depends on the turbo. Most are water and oil cooled, which adds extra protection. I cant think of one stock turbo that isn't water cooled. I had a Turbonetics T3/T4 and a 60-1 (T04E) that were both water cooled.

At the same time, I have a Greddy 20G that's only oil cooled. Gotta figure that Greddy / Trust know's what they are doing.
jgreening
[quote] name='scothaniel' date='Nov 30, 2005 - 1:37 PM' post='361681']
[quote]I have the choice of getting a water cooled t3 or oil cooled.[code]

Depends on the turbo. Most are water and oil cooled, which adds extra protection. I cant think of one stock turbo that isn't water cooled. I had a Turbonetics T3/T4 and a 60-1 (T04E) that were both water cooled.

At the same time, I have a Greddy 20G that's only oil cooled. Gotta figure that Greddy / Trust know's what they are doing.
[/quote]

Nah, they are price sensitive just like the rest of us. All turbos are "oil cooled". The question is whether they are also water cooled. Look at this way: every (I believe) stock turbo sold within the last 5-10 years has been oil cooled. Do you want to know why? Warranty claims. Do what you want but if you plan on keeping your car for awhile, its money well spent.
scothaniel
Right, thats kinda what I was saying.

Every turbo uses oil for lubrication - there is no such thing as an oil-less turbo. The question is if its water cooled or not, and every passenger car manufacture uses water cooling.
JoKeRkId613
I'm getting a T3 Super 60. 7AFTE wooo! Can't wait.
epinasty
So are ball baring turbos oil lubricated the same way too??
I sort of figured those were just like the barings in your wheel hub assembly or something like that... don't use a constant oil supply.
scothaniel
Nope, ball-bearing based turbo's use oil too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.