Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The best supra
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
bloodrain
check this out guys, I think its WAAAY to good to be true,
http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=1...ice=&cardist=32

a TT supra for under 20k?
jgreening
27k for an 11 year old car? Mark IV Supra's are nice but so over priced it isn't even funny....

Here is what I am going to do:

Buy a clean N/A MR2 with high miles.
Add:
3.4 v6 liter tacoma (5vzfe) engine
Have it properly rebuilt
GT35R
MR2T tranny
ATS axels
AEM
new clutch kit
new exhaust
new set of wheels and tires
new suspension

= 500+whp beast for under 20k and be in the high 10's. Projected project completion date: 1/1/07.

That will out handle and blow the doors off most Supras.
bloodrain
but this supra is sooooo nice.

This guy wanted $30k for his

this is the one for $27k
Supersprynt
Jay how is an MR2 (FWD) transmission that mates to S series engines going to bolt up, let alone to a RWD car?
Phat_99CeliGT
supras are awesome.
my buddy has a 94TT hes selling for like $27k. 60k miles, custom paint, interior, 20s. its badass.
Jdog1385
yea jay that sounds insane man, cant wait to see it. if i bought an mr2 i would go for the Beams
Mike
mkiv
single turbo
hard top
6spd

yummy
jgreening
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Dec 15, 2005 - 10:10 AM) [snapback]367532[/snapback]

Jay how is an MR2 (FWD) transmission that mates to S series engines going to bolt up, let alone to a RWD car?

MR2 transmissions are RWD. confused.gif

Here is a link of a guy that already put a 5vzfe into an MR2 with a MR2T tranny:

Swapping a 5vzfe into a MR2
Mike
QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 15, 2005 - 11:39 AM) [snapback]367582[/snapback]

Here is a link of a guy that already put a 5vzfe into an MR2 with a MR2T tranny:

I think he means how's a 5vzfe engine thats origionally longitudinally mounted gonna bolt up to a mr-2 tranns that's suitable for engines that are transversely mounted (5sfe)

i think..
lagos
QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 15, 2005 - 1:19 AM) [snapback]367439[/snapback]

27k for an 11 year old car? Mark IV Supra's are nice but so over priced it isn't even funny....

Add:
Have it properly rebuilt
GT35R
MR2T tranny
ATS axels
AEM
new clutch kit
new exhaust
new suspension

= 500+whp beast for under 20k and be in the high 10's. Projected project completion date: 1/1/07.

oh man....you have sooo been bitten buy the power bug! lol its a crazy addiction, and you always want more and more smile.gif

jgreening
QUOTE(lagos @ Dec 15, 2005 - 12:52 PM) [snapback]367589[/snapback]

Add:
Have it properly rebuilt
GT35R
MR2T tranny
ATS axels
AEM
new clutch kit
new exhaust
new suspension

oh man....you have sooo been bitten buy the power bug! lol its a crazy addiction, and you always want more and more smile.gif

Now that I have my daily driver nearly done, I need a weekend car wink.gif

QUOTE(Mike @ Dec 15, 2005 - 12:42 PM) [snapback]367585[/snapback]

I think he means how's a 5vzfe engine thats origionally longitudinally mounted gonna bolt up to a mr-2 tranns that's suitable for engines that are transversely mounted (5sfe)

i think..

They are not mounted longitudinally in a MR2.
lagos
hahaha

i think if i was going to build up a power monster, i would go with an alltrac. just because of the awd and the fact that most alltrac guys keep their cars bone stock, so it would be a real sleeper.

the thing i dont like about mr2s is that its almost impossible to fit a good intercooler anywhere on the damn car.
jgreening
QUOTE(lagos @ Dec 15, 2005 - 12:57 PM) [snapback]367593[/snapback]

hahaha

i think if i was going to build up a power monster, i would go with an alltrac. just because of the awd and the fact that most alltrac guys keep their cars bone stock, so it would be a real sleeper.

the thing i dont like about mr2s is that its almost impossible to fit a good intercooler anywhere on the damn car.

Precision A/W with HUGE heat exchanger. This is too much for sidemounts and trunk mounts are too "hacky" for my taste. I promise that this is going to be one impressive beast.
jgreening
QUOTE(lagos @ Dec 15, 2005 - 12:57 PM) [snapback]367593[/snapback]

hahaha

One thing about the alltrac Art is the finicky nature of the trannys when you put significant power on them. I saw an 11 second alltrac at NA2005 and it was quite impressive (it was even black which gave it big points from me). However, I wouldn't want to maintain that driveline in a high horsepower application.
lagos
ive never seen complaints about that tranny ... if anything, based on the massive size of it and that fact that it has to handle much higher loads, i would think it would be just as strong if not stronger then an mr2 trans.
but i agree. its a big tranny and more of a pain to work on .

awd would come in very handy with that kind of power tho, cause you could basically race on street tries most of the time and not have traction to worry about.
Supersprynt
QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 15, 2005 - 1:39 PM) [snapback]367582[/snapback]

No. MR2s are RWD, but the transmission is the same as a FWD because its a mid-engine car. There still is the problem of the engine being in the front, and car being RWD, you'd need a different transmission.
jgreening
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Dec 15, 2005 - 1:52 PM) [snapback]367629[/snapback]

QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 15, 2005 - 1:39 PM) [snapback]367582[/snapback]

No. MR2s are RWD, but the transmission is the same as a FWD because its a mid-engine car. There still is the problem of the engine being in the front, and car being RWD, you'd need a different transmission.

No? I dare you to post that the MR2 transmission is not a RWD transmission on the MR2 board. LOL.

In all seriousness, I understand what you are saying but the V6 is mounted transversely in the MR2 so it bolts up.
Supersprynt
So what your saying is that the MR2 transmission, that I have in my car, thats FWD, is a RWD transmission, because its in an MR2, with the engine in the back.

If it bolts up it bolts up, but your missing the problem with the fact that a Supra, which is RWD, needs a RWD transmission, you cant use an stock MR2 transmission, IDK why thats so hard to understand.
jgreening
Also, as you know, the MR transmission differs from the FF transmission due to the location of the actuator.
Supersprynt
Thats only because the transmission is behind the shifter, not in front. Takes 10mins and requires only unbolting certain pieces to change that.
jgreening
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Dec 15, 2005 - 2:00 PM) [snapback]367635[/snapback]

So what your saying is that the MR2 transmission, that I have in my car, thats FWD, is a RWD transmission, because its in an MR2, with the engine in the back.

If it bolts up it bolts up, but your missing the problem with the fact that a Supra, which is RWD, needs a RWD transmission, you cant use an stock MR2 transmission, IDK why thats so hard to understand.

I don't know what you mean by "RWD Transmission". Perhaps you mean "a transmission designed for FR car". However, my definition of RWD Transmission" is a transmission that drives the rear wheels of a car.
bloodrain
BACK TO MY MAIN POINT

which is the best supra to buy, as in which supra is more reliable and has greater potential? The TT version or the N/A version.
jgreening
QUOTE(bloodrain @ Dec 15, 2005 - 2:05 PM) [snapback]367640[/snapback]

BACK TO MY MAIN POINT

which is the best supra to buy, as in which supra is more reliable and has greater potential? The TT version or the N/A version.

Sorry for the thread hijack. But, it has been an entertaining discussion.
Supersprynt
QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 15, 2005 - 3:04 PM) [snapback]367639[/snapback]

I don't know what you mean by "RWD Transmission". Perhaps you mean "a transmission designed for FR car". However, my definition of RWD Transmission" is a transmission that drives the rear wheels of a car.

Same difference, but your method of determining which is which forgets a main point: location of engine. Yes, you will need an FR transsmision, MRT is FF or RR, not FR.
jgreening

Who said anything about using a Supra engine?

QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Dec 15, 2005 - 2:06 PM) [snapback]367642[/snapback]

QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 15, 2005 - 3:04 PM) [snapback]367639[/snapback]

Same difference, but your method of determining which is which forgets a main point: location of engine. Yes, you will need an FR transsmision, MRT is FF or RR, not FR.

Incorrect, but I admire your persistence.
Supersprynt
The first quote says nothing about using a Supra engine.

Secondly:

Supra transmission:
user posted image

MR2 Transmission: sorry for size.
user posted image

FWD: transmission:

user posted image

And just saying "incorrect" accomplishes nothing, expand your response.
jgreening
Using the I6 supra engine in an MR2 is similar to putting in a 6gc. Yea, it might be theoretically possible but there are too many problems and too much cost to seriously consider it. I never said I was going to do that and I really don't know where you got that idea.

My plan is to use a V6 engine from a tacoma. Its called a 5vzfe. In a tacoma, the engine is longitudinally mounted with an FR transmission. In the MR2, it will mount transversely and I will use a MR2T transmission. It bolts up with some modification.

So, to sum it up, in the case of the 5vzfe in an MR2, you must use a MR transmission - not a FR transmission as you indicated.
Supersprynt
You know what totally sucks, im sitting here arguing for doing that engine, in a Supra, and you said MR2. No WONDER you werent getting it, I was like WTF this guy isnt dumb!! The thread is about Supras, so I hadnt even thought about the chance you werent talking about a Supra.

Totally a miscommunication. We're both correct, just arguing 2 different points.
lagos
erik missed the point where we jacked the thread and started talking about mr2s ...lol
Celica_Fan
The best supra is the 4th generation model I reckon.
lagos
QUOTE(bloodrain @ Dec 15, 2005 - 12:20 AM) [snapback]367404[/snapback]

ok, there are no good cars to buy anymore, period. So now im looking into supras, which is the best year/model to buy. Single turbo? Twin Turbo? N/A? I need some advice because this guy is selling his turboed 94 supra for 27k, which I could probably get him to come down another 2k, which is VERY MUCH in my price range for a new car. And I know supra's arent new, but they are my (like many other peoples) dream car. And its not everyday that your dream car can be yours. Anywho, give me some advice guys.

to reply to your question:

get a 94-98 supra twin turbo with a manual tranny. thats basically the top of the line. the single turbo supras you find, means that the ower upgreaded the twins for one single aftermarket turbo. the NA supras are not very fast at all and youll regret not gettting the twin turbo one.
bloodrain
why would they upgrade from 2 to 1?
lagos
QUOTE(bloodrain @ Dec 15, 2005 - 6:09 PM) [snapback]367726[/snapback]

why would they upgrade from 2 to 1?

because the stock twins are small and only can do so much . so you take them out and cram one big turbo in there... like so :

user posted image

or you can upgrade the 2 stock turbos to better ones. it all really depends on your power goals

user posted image
jdg371
IMO the best would be a 86' MKII Supra with a 1UZFE

Lightest of the Supras with close to 300HP hehe
bloodrain
kinda a stupid question, but if you have 2 turbos, cant u have 2 blow off valves?
Celica_Fan
no only one blow off valve.
lagos
QUOTE(bloodrain @ Dec 15, 2005 - 6:36 PM) [snapback]367744[/snapback]

kinda a stupid question, but if you have 2 turbos, cant u have 2 blow off valves?

well ...yes and no .

no, because the 2 turbos go to the same intercooler and try to cram air into one throttle body.

yes, because some supra owners with high powered turbos (sing or twin) have run so much boost, that it can sometimes be too much air for one bov to let off, so somtimes they add 2 in there. this has nothing to do with a twin turbo car tho. you could put 2 bovs on any turbo car, but it would be dumb, unless you are running more boost then a single bov can let off.
bloodrain
ah, make sense make sense. Im seriously starting to consider that supra, I wanna check it out first and take it 2 my friends shop, if he says its good 2 go then i'll offer the guy $22k. he'll either take it or leave it.
Mike
QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 15, 2005 - 11:56 AM) [snapback]367590[/snapback]

Add:
Have it properly rebuilt
GT35R
MR2T tranny
ATS axels
AEM
new clutch kit
new exhaust
new suspension

i think..

re-read
i said mr-2 engines are transversely mounted
jgreening
QUOTE(Mike @ Dec 16, 2005 - 4:27 PM) [snapback]368106[/snapback]

QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 15, 2005 - 11:56 AM) [snapback]367590[/snapback]

Add:
Have it properly rebuilt
GT35R
MR2T tranny
ATS axels
AEM
new clutch kit
new exhaust
new suspension

i think..

re-read
i said mr-2 engines are transversely mounted

Yea, and the V6 is transversely mounted when it is placed in the MR2 too....what is your point?
97lestyousay
Wow confusing. I think Mike should go back and read Eriks post.
Jay was talking about an MR2 swap and Erik was thinking the original post
"supra". It's all good.
If you want the best Supra go for the 97 15 aniv issue TT.imo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.