Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Probs with convertible electric motor thingy
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
XS4lv1Truch0x
mad.gif yeah im having this problem when i let my convertible down, it goes down normally than when i let it up, the left side is like kinda laggy,kinda goes slower than the right side, than when its all the way on, you know how its susposed to stop the noise thingy, well mine keeps on going on the left side, kinda like its spinning freely or sumthin while the right side stops, anybody have ne ideas, ima put a video up in a while cause i dont got my camera rite now
hellsyphon
sounds like the motor is on its way out. my radio antenna used to do that whenever the antenna would retract or extend all the way and it a couple months later it died
XS4lv1Truch0x
omg nooooooooooooo man that would totally suck, do you know how much it would be to fix it????? well hopefully it fixes it self and it wont cost me an arm and a leg to fix kindasad.gif
jess_i_74
I've heard (heard mind you) that new motors from a dealer can be on the order of a grand or so. However, you can (and people do) just operate the top manually. There's a switch in the trunk behind a little square panel.
XS4lv1Truch0x
ive done it manually b4 but putting it back up is a pain in the a$$
gamesteristj
find a wrecked one in a wreking yard or see if you can take it to someone to get it rebuilt
tj
RocketScott
QUOTE(hellsyphon @ Jan 2, 2006 - 12:40 AM) [snapback]373645[/snapback]

sounds like the motor is on its way out. my radio antenna used to do that whenever the antenna would retract or extend all the way and it a couple months later it died

Sounds like the motor burned up because something else was off. If the gears get worn and aren't lubed up or the control circuit goes out then the motor could have to work harder and burn out.

Check to make sure both motors are getting the same voltage. If some contacts are worn or oxidized the motor might not be getting enough juice. You could also clean the motor out if you are good at tinkering. When I rebuilt my antenna I took the motor apart and sprayed all the dust from the motor brushes out with electrical contact cleaner.

Try lubing all the pivot points on the canopy too. If the joints are stiff the motor will have to work extra hard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.