Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: throttle body
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
thedro
yeah im thinkin on port and polishin my intake manifold but my cousin told me i should just make (custom out) a new one for it cus its so freakin small.. but if i want a bigger i-manifold then i need a bigger t-body.. so im not sure but i heard the 5sfe's t-body is 2", so thats one question how big is the stock t-body for the 5sfe.

next is how much bigger do u think i should get the next one.. supra's (usually upgrade, if theyr not goin for extremes) to the q45 t-body which is 3" but i think that might get a lil too excesive for a 5sfe, i think i should get a 2" 1/2 or somthin around ther, so im also wonderin how big is the supra's stock t-body.
-thanks
thedro
any one??
Sev408
well i dont think anyone has yet to do this. as far as i know larger intake manifolds dont exist unless you swap for one. But i have no idea what you could swap inplace.

On the flip side, where are you going with this. Think into the future and decide whether there is a point to having this done. Supras if your talking about the 2jz have larger Intake manifold and throttlebodies because they are expecting to push 500+ horsepower on a turbo motor. Your GT probably has no need for a 2.5in intake manifold and larger throttle body.

The guys that are turboing their 5s havent had larger intake manifolds added, so as a backup source, why do you need one.

If your looking for a boost in power, your only option is FI. Either turbo or supercharge the 5s. I wouldnt bother doing the NA upgrades.
recneps
unless your going F/I i wouldnt mess with it, its a real easy way to screw up your torque band.

but you could just get the TB bored, max bore can do it an put a new butterfly in there.
Bigmeanbulldog55
QUOTE(recneps @ Jan 25, 2006 - 7:56 AM) [snapback]383947[/snapback]

unless your going F/I i wouldnt mess with it, its a real easy way to screw up your torque band.

but you could just get the TB bored, max bore can do it an put a new butterfly in there.

I don't think it would hurt the motor. You can never allow to much air into the motor. I'm not sure what kind of pick up you would get, might just be snappier. I think if you have the tools for it, it's worth doing. I'm on a stand still at the moment, but this is one of the things that my 5sfe might recieve in the future.
thedro
right now im just tryin to get the max airflow possible in this b1tch.. if ur askin me on the plans that i got, im thinkin on turnin it into a 5sgte, i kno its a hell lotta work but it can be done and should be hahaha.. right now im just waitin on my clutch and brakes to get here to put em in and hopefully stop the leak this weekend and then im gonna start the whole air flow project- cai, headers, straight out custom exhaust piping, and if all goes well wit a 240sx we're workin on im doin the bigger mani.. and now im tryin to find the size of the taco's and/or tundra's TB
thedro
just so we're on the same page.. this mod is done in many cars, it is true they usually do f/i.. but im goin on steps i eventually will do f/i.. thing is i dont kno why this mod is almost (cus i dont kno of any one thats done it but maybe thers somone out ther haha) never done on our cars..... if i get a major boost in power ill tell u guys bout it, maybe someone else will try it too :b
Hanyo
the main reason no one has p&p there intake manifold is because it does not increase the output of that motor noticiably.
jayi12-15psi
The only gain you would receive is slightly more air to the last intake runner. Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but I've heard that the last runner does not convey air as effectively as the other 3. That problem would be of course already solved if you swap some kind of larger manifold or p&p. The stock intake is 2" for a reason, boring a larger tb might increase your initial intake of air, but it will mess up the air flow at wot. Think of it like this, if you have a 2" pipe with air passing through it, and all of a sudden the middle has a small section where it's 2.5", that will create nothing but turbulence in the pipe.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not going on experience but rather physics. Where's kwanza?
jayi12-15psi
like recneps said, pointless unless you're going FI, on another note, why buy cai and header if going FI in the future? it's pointless.
thedro
just for the moment.. while i convince my dad that if i do it right a turbo is not gonna make my car blow up the whole world ahahaha
Bigmeanbulldog55
QUOTE(thedro @ Jan 26, 2006 - 5:26 PM) [snapback]384893[/snapback]

just for the moment.. while i convince my dad that if i do it right a turbo is not gonna make my car blow up the whole world ahahaha

Cuts down on engine life no matter what.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.