Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT4 Calliper refurb
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Suspension/Handling/Braking
Insanity-74
Not a job I ever want to do again...I`ve still got the back ones to do..Doh! Oh well...took me 9 hours to refurb the old brake callipers to their current standard, Took the old callipers off the car, lots of paint stripper to get the old paint off from my last attempt to make them look better, about 2 - 3 Hours of wire brushing to get the finish smooth and paint free...also there was a lot of disimilar metal corrosion around the back of the calliper which needed sorting out. Some heat resistant paint and a file later the results look pretty good, I also replaced all the seals and rubbers, and replaced the DOT4 brake fluid with DOT5.1...difference is amazing although had a siezed piston which wouldnt have helped.

The callipers went from this rather sorry looking thing.......

user posted image

To this

user posted image

user posted image

Will do the back ones in about 40 years when I can be bothered again.
elvasoshexai
wow... hah that seems like a lot of work... at least they look like 100x better now lol

i think i'm gonna need to do the same thing in the summer too... but mine are all rusted... ><
dustin15brown
It's true they look amazing now... good work
celicurr
wow, good job!
Insanity-74
Cheers smile.gif

It wasnt such a bad job really...just hurt my arms after wire brushing for 3 hours....good job I had a few Buds to kill the pain smile.gif
Take care if its a job your gonna do yourself...take your time and get it right...you dont want to make a mistake on your brakes. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
lilsteeg
off topic but arnt you on the automotive forums as well, if so didnt your engine break and what was wrong
Insanity-74
Yes I am on the automotive forums aswell, "nialusa". My engine did suffer a slight problem...didnt really break though..a water pump retaining bolt came loose and fell into the cam belt, chewing it up and generally making a mess...its all fixed now and running fine...smile.gif
4candles
QUOTE(Insanity-74 @ Feb 6, 2006 - 1:30 AM) [snapback]389511[/snapback]

Yes I am on the automotive forums aswell, "nialusa". My engine did suffer a slight problem...didnt really break though..a water pump retaining bolt came loose and fell into the cam belt, chewing it up and generally making a mess...its all fixed now and running fine...smile.gif

i go to brakes international... l

let them do the reburb, doesn't take too long to bolt on the new one.. dont miss too much rugby on the telly then, nice result for the men in white.. smile.gif thought Wales would put up a better fight than they did !
CelicaZR
That looks sweet Insanity smile.gif
i havent heard of Dot 5.1 or maybe they
aint available in Australia yet.
Can I use that in my car?
Insanity-74
QUOTE(CelicaZR @ Feb 6, 2006 - 11:18 AM) [snapback]389554[/snapback]

Yes you can....DOT5.1 is cross compatable with DOT4 and DOT3 brake fluid as they all have the same base (mineral)....DOT5 is not compatable as its a sythetic base (DONT USE IT) it will react with the mineral brake fluid and eat its way through the brake lines.
Nampetch
QUOTE(Insanity-74 @ Feb 6, 2006 - 1:08 AM) [snapback]389187[/snapback]

Not a job I ever want to do again...I`ve still got the back ones to do..Doh! Oh well...took me 9 hours to refurb the old brake callipers to their current standard, Took the old callipers off the car, lots of paint stripper to get the old paint off from my last attempt to make them look better, about 2 - 3 Hours of wire brushing to get the finish smooth and paint free...also there was a lot of disimilar metal corrosion around the back of the calliper which needed sorting out. Some heat resistant paint and a file later the results look pretty good, I also replaced all the seals and rubbers, and replaced the DOT4 brake fluid with DOT5.1...difference is amazing although had a siezed piston which wouldnt have helped.

The callipers went from this rather sorry looking thing.......

user posted image

To this

user posted image

user posted image

Nice work. I will get my GT4 brake this weekend and plan to refurbish them too. I wonder and appreciate if you can share, how do you sand the entire caliper so nice? Did you split caliper apart then sand it and painting? I am just thinking of get my caliper to the workshop where they have sand-spray service... wink.gif

Will do the back ones in about 40 years when I can be bothered again.

rcww
QUOTE(Insanity-74 @ Feb 6, 2006 - 7:44 AM) [snapback]389560[/snapback]

QUOTE(CelicaZR @ Feb 6, 2006 - 11:18 AM) [snapback]389554[/snapback]

Yes you can....DOT5.1 is cross compatable with DOT4 and DOT3 brake fluid as they all have the same base (mineral)....DOT5 is not compatable as its a sythetic base (DONT USE IT) it will react with the mineral brake fluid and eat its way through the brake lines.

You can now get super dot 4.1 which is better than dot5.1. Anyone used it?
dustin15brown
I really need to do my calipers
madmods
Will those calipers bolt on to my gt? I have a regular usdm gt and not a gt4
sugarfree
Yea i want to know also. I know the caliper probably wont clear the wheel though. And the gt4 rotor looks thicker.

Maybe though, cus Maikl has them.
Kwanza26
They are the right spacing on the caliper bracket... but they bolt in differently (bolt onto the knuckle, not the bracket)... they're offset differently from the knuckle... they're designed for the superstrut spindles, which are vastly different... so there's some custom work needed to fir them. By that time... might as well pick up a front pair of calipers from a Toyota 4x4 truck... which are solid 4 pots also.
madmods
QUOTE(Kwanza26 @ Feb 25, 2006 - 5:23 AM) [snapback]399366[/snapback]

They are the right spacing on the caliper bracket... but they bolt in differently (bolt onto the knuckle, not the bracket)... they're offset differently from the knuckle... they're designed for the superstrut spindles, which are vastly different... so there's some custom work needed to fir them. By that time... might as well pick up a front pair of calipers from a Toyota 4x4 truck... which are solid 4 pots also.

Sweet, Im trying to fab a set of 4 piston brembo calipers on my car. man I wish I knew how to run a mill good so I could make the brackets. I lambo just now the basics from machine shop class. I saw a pair of 8 piston calipers on ebay yesterday. All I need is 6!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.