Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something interesting in the junkyard
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
My2Celi
I was at my dad's workshop today, sanding down my parts for my mr2 gettin ready for a touch up. My 2 lil brother doing my hardwork biggrin.gif
user posted image

As i was walkin around on the other side where theres a junk yard. I found a Camry that has a V6 motor with a 5 speed tranny.
user posted image

user posted image

Can I swap it with that motor? and if not could i use that tranny? Since it does have longer gears?
MaskedMan
yes i belive you can use the tranny. biggrin.gif
Bigmeanbulldog55
Yeah, you can swap it. It's preferable to use the 5 speed from a Camry in swaps. I'd like to see a V6 Celica. The MR2 guys have done it countless times. The 5th gen guys have too. Check MR2OC for info.
My2Celi
O M G FORREAL! This guy in my dad's shop was like NO, i never heard of anything like that and said that im a joke. DAMN THAT FOOL. so i was right...hmmm i heard i have fab a fourth mount. I dono the condition of the motor, but he told me the tranny is in good condition. hmmmm interesting. I need to get a quota on it asap.
CelicaZR
The v6 camry tranny is much stronger than
the 5sfe. I remember reading somewhere that
the v6 tranny was a better option for a 3sgte swap.
lagos
somone i know has a v6 tranny in his 5th gen 3sgte swap and he hates it. has had shifting issues from day one and is swaping back to a 5sfe tranny.
Supersprynt
I dont think its a better option at for the 3s at all. It takes literally 10 mins to change the MR2 tranny to FWD use and its designed for the 3s. However, tahts off topic. Youd be a pioneer doing a V6 in a 6gCelica.
Dr_Tweak
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Feb 12, 2006 - 4:59 AM) [snapback]392469[/snapback]

I dont think its a better option at for the 3s at all. It takes literally 10 mins to change the MR2 tranny to FWD use and its designed for the 3s. However, tahts off topic. Youd be a pioneer doing a V6 in a 6gCelica.

It's the same tranny.

If you want to pull that, I'm sure you could sell it. Heck, I'd pick it up from you at one point or another.

-Doc
thatcelicaguy
well rest assured gentlemen...there is a 6gc-er in the process(or still planning stages) of swapping a v6 into a celica.......it will be done around june hopefully =)....ill be sure to post pics and updates when we begin the swap over
My2Celi
man, i hope he can do it. Then im next... I need to get a group meeting in tx.
FORGMANN
That camry with 5speed v6 is very very rare .. at least in a 4 door camry it is 97-98 model and was only available a year or two .. Most 5spd v6's are in solaras ..

i have a 1mz and a 3mz and findanza flywheel for v6 application ,ecu and just about everything you need to swap in a v6 just don t have a cheap chassis yet ..

i drove a TRD solara which had every option TRD made for solara and with s/c it fun but FWD only creates a lot of wheel spin and you have to shift very fast ..

i would have had this swap done a long time ago but when you also own a ST205 it is hard to commit money to another project plus buying a house always gets in way of projects plans ..!!

TTE had a project car at Essen motor show in 04' it was a Toyota Avenis with 1mz twin turbo'ed and awd .. made over 300hp and was a station wagon but i would love to have as daily driver ..

anyway the biggest issue concerning this swap is with a doubt wiring ... if you commit to this swap you better love the smell of hot solder smoke as you will have a lot if it .. i would recommend doing a lot of homework on wiring before even starting swap ..

dlx742
i love the smell of hot solder smoke
Dr_Tweak
QUOTE(FORGMANN @ Feb 13, 2006 - 12:53 AM) [snapback]392759[/snapback]

anyway the biggest issue concerning this swap is with a doubt wiring ... if you commit to this swap you better love the smell of hot solder smoke as you will have a lot if it .. i would recommend doing a lot of homework on wiring before even starting swap ..

Or just send it to me and get it back plug and play for $350 biggrin.gif

-Doc
jgreening
QUOTE(Dr_Tweak @ Feb 11, 2006 - 11:55 PM) [snapback]392488[/snapback]

QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Feb 12, 2006 - 4:59 AM) [snapback]392469[/snapback]

It's the same tranny.

If you want to pull that, I'm sure you could sell it. Heck, I'd pick it up from you at one point or another.

-Doc

Correct. The only differences are the shift linkage and some MR2T transmissions came with factory LSD.
My2Celi
So wiring will b my biggest issue..
BBoYRuGGeD
i thought the gearing were different from the mr2t tranny and the v6 tranny? v6 being, i heard, a bit longer...?

bboy
Kwanza26
QUOTE(BBoYRuGGeD @ Feb 13, 2006 - 5:30 AM) [snapback]392916[/snapback]

i thought the gearing were different from the mr2t tranny and the v6 tranny? v6 being, i heard, a bit longer...?

bboy

I believe gearing is the same... final drives different.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.