Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In your opinion
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
yyet
What up! In your guys opinion, what would be the best intake for the 6gc 94 hatch. I'm not looking for something too loud, my girlfriend would get nuts. I'm just looking for something to improve gas mileage, add a little HP, sound nice, and just be a good mod for the car. Engine is all stock, so let me know. Thanks... Oh, not sure if this belongs in this section, but I didn't know where else to put it. THanks again

Yet
snapshotgt
cai (cold air intake)...over a short ram...those suck hot air, and i think are louder...

You can buy or make a cai...

~snap
TheStreetzKing
injen hands down, tried 2 others all sucked
bojangles_8686
PVC CAI

nuff said smile.gif
Jaws4God
Accord 90ish Cold Air Intake... easy install and looks nice and actually brings in cold air :-)

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
dustin15brown
is it a perfect fit?
bojangles_8686
And if you get a cold air intake it would be good to get an air bypass valve. This is because most likley the CAI will be close to the ground, thus being closer to water. The air bypass valve prevents water from getting sucked up into the intake manifold and engine. You can read more about it here.
Jaws4God
QUOTE(dustin15brown @ Feb 14, 2006 - 2:57 AM) [snapback]393409[/snapback]

is it a perfect fit?

the accord one you need to cuz part of the elbow off, widen the hole in the frame where the stock box went and remove the bottom part of the fuse box.... but its all easy stuff to do.. other than that it goes in nice! It didn't take more that 2 hours to do and it wasn't hard because I did it and that says a lot :-P
lilsteeg
now why not drop a pipe right in front of the tranny, on my 95 there is a plastic panel whith a scoop on it on the bottom, which i am guessing is to cool the tranny but it could be used for the intake
blu94gt
QUOTE(lilsteeg @ Feb 13, 2006 - 10:18 PM) [snapback]393478[/snapback]

now why not drop a pipe right in front of the tranny, on my 95 there is a plastic panel whith a scoop on it on the bottom, which i am guessing is to cool the tranny but it could be used for the intake

more bends to make and cruise control might be in the way, lot easier to do it with the accord cai.

if anyone wants an accord cai already cut to fit and everything i took mine out to go back to the stock one for SCCA racing.
CelicaZR
Another easy option would be to replace the air filter with
a K&N panel filter which is what I've done.
I did have a short ram intake, but I took it out cause I didnt
like the fact that it was sucking in hot air from the engine bay.
NaKeD
Get the intake system off ebay
I got the exact same one, not from ebay though i got it from my local autopart store.
It might suck in hot air, and yes CAI is way better
but just like me its an easy installation, cheap and sounds mad

NaKeD
yyet
Are you serious??? Would it be good to buy a $10 intake off ebay??? I mean, hey the cheaper the better, but would this really be a good intake to add on my celi?? Oh yeah, it says it stops sucking in hot air so does that make it a cold air intake?
j0e_p3t
those ebay kits are just about as good as any intake kit you can get (unless you get a cold air intake). you can make your own for less than the ebay ones. but if you don't feel like going through the trouble or spending 100+ for a name brand, the ebay ones will do for now. and they sound pretty good but not too loud.
celiracer
i agree with streetzking. Injen hands down.
yyet
Well, i'm not looking at spending tooo much, but I want something that is pretty descent. Anyway, whats the diff between an ebay intake and a cold air intake??? Oh yeah does the ebay one come with everything I need?? Is it just for looks/sound or for performance too. And i did hear of injen but i don't know much about it. I just started getting into modding cars recently. Noobie here!!!
j0e_p3t
you should be asking the difference between a cold air intake and a short ram intake. a cai has a longer tube that sucks cooler air from outside the engine bay. a sri has a shorter tube that sucks warmer air from inside the engine bay. someone can post pics if you don't get what i'm saying. ebay sells both, and they come with everything you need to install. if you want looks for a cheaper price, go with a sri. for performance, go cai.
yyet
is my stock intake sucking in hot air??? And is sucking in hot air bad for my engine??? Whats the price diff between the two cai and ram?? And which one will give me that deep low sound
TheStreetzKing
they both scream, my injen has been the loudest.. got pulled over for loud exhaust and have a stock exhaust, a stock intake wouldnt suck in hot air that wouldnt be good. i had a cold air intake and all that did was suck in hot air, i think the injen is the best thing u can do, obviously it was designed by injen and they dont f*ck around, they make sure everything is for the better, also i think manny got a dyno proven 9horse power out of it, i now have the one he had, you can cheap out if you want either way its gonna look good lol, but id say injen is definitly worth the money, like i said i tried a short ram and a cai and injen hands down
NaKeD
the streetzking your injen looks mad, nice shiny blue.
yer the similar ebay kit i got is loud, not as loud as streetzking one i'm guessing...
it sounds mad on 2nd gear 3rd gear the rest i don't notice much
a simple guy like me like to do thing simple, if ur like me get that ebay kit

NaKeD
yyet
what model number or whatever is your injen intake, I'm having a hard time finding one. But yeah, i'm still a little confused, ebay one says it won't suck in hot air but does it still suck in hot air? And what makes the injen one so much more betters? I'm sorry guys, i'm a real noob
TheStreetzKing
lol sall good, the injen one was specifically design and they dont screw around when it comes to quality, the ebay ones are just pipes and filters haha injen makes theres perfect from the angles and bends and filters, my ebay cai sucked in hot air and my short ram was just for looks, i got mine off manny so idk where to get em online, i kno on the website they show u everything but say find a dealer near u lol, ebay has em, there usually silver mine was painted, there not cheap but there completly worth it
celiracer
Ya my injen intake is loud. i mean ya i have cat-back exhaust with it. But people tell me they hear more intake then exhaust when im getting on it. I like it. Sounds better then some ive heard around here in my town. But its your decision.

Click on this and search for your year of celica. And it you will have your price.

http://www.toyotaworld.com/injen/index.htm
yyet
Celica GT Only w/Heat Shield 1994-99 212.50 250.00
IS2040R Celica GT Only w/Heat Shield 1994-99 221.00 260.00
IS2040B Celica GT Only w/Heat Shield 1994-99 221.00 260.00

Ouch, 221 dollars!!! Well I guess what i am really wondering now is, are the ebay ones bad for your engine since they suck hot air in??? Cuz yah, 12 dollars vs 221 dollars is crazy!!!
j0e_p3t
hot air isn't bad. your car just goes a lil faster with cold air. and the injen intake isn't even a cai.
LewFX
ahh how many pointless intake threads are there gonna be?
anyways, my opinion on SRI vs CAI is neither! CAI is cold air yes but its also longer in the throttle response...SRI is a quicker response yet you do get a mixture of hot and cold air depending if you remove the stock bottom box to allow more air to flow thru the fender. now ive done all these setups even had a injen and my opinion is keep the stock setup minus the stock box and drop in a k&n filter. Its what I call a medium cai setup, medium throttle response and sucks in cold air thru the fender and it keeps car looking stock for us "smog polluting states". the only difference between the stock look vs the injen is the price and if cone filters are better than drop-ins. yes injens are carb legal. choice is yours.
$30-60 for honda cai with k&n filter
$50-150 for injen
or $30-40 for k&n drop-in filter

regardless, you need to remove stock bottom box that restricts more air. i dare anyone to try my setup and tell me they prefer the others.
HeavyStyle105
i have to agree with all the others injen is the best hands down.
lilsteeg
go to advanced auto parts mine sells injen intakes, i dont have one but i think that they do, you know buying those ebay intakes is like hooking up with a fat chick when your drunk, we all do it but we dont like to admit it
Alchemist_57
my intake is stock now. i may end up getting a k&n drop-in. what do you mean when you say "remove the stock bottom box"?
TheStreetzKing
QUOTE(j0e_p3t @ Feb 15, 2006 - 6:55 PM) [snapback]394561[/snapback]

and the injen intake isn't even a cai.

are u meanign that since its not cold air its not worth it?? idk how u put that and not ttrying to start a war haha but if thats what u meant then it doesnt have to be cold air to be good, but all im saying is my injen was the best one i tried, again didnt kno how u were stating it lol
j0e_p3t
QUOTE(TheStreetzKing @ Feb 15, 2006 - 5:59 PM) [snapback]394632[/snapback]

QUOTE(j0e_p3t @ Feb 15, 2006 - 6:55 PM) [snapback]394561[/snapback]

and the injen intake isn't even a cai.

are u meanign that since its not cold air its not worth it?? idk how u put that and not ttrying to start a war haha but if thats what u meant then it doesnt have to be cold air to be good, but all im saying is my injen was the best one i tried, again didnt kno how u were stating it lol

haha, not trying to start a war. i never said injen wasn't any good. i'm sure its worth every penny, but this guy doesn't exactly have enough pennies. all i'm saying is he can get a pretty good modified accord cai for a lot less.
snapshotgt
If you are really looking at an injen intake, this is is selling one for about 1/2 the price new....of course it is used...

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=33871

p.s. I still think you should get a CAI, it is better all around for not sucking hot air/sounding really annoying...

~snap
blu94gt
QUOTE(Alchemist_57 @ Feb 15, 2006 - 7:03 PM) [snapback]394583[/snapback]

my intake is stock now. i may end up getting a k&n drop-in. what do you mean when you say "remove the stock bottom box"?

there is a bottom box to the intake that is inside the fender. it prevents more of the free airflow. i think it's supposed to be a sort of sound resonator but it doesn't really do anything.

I agree about the stock setup with the K&N. I had my CAI and while I do think it was better on the highway, just driving in town I prefer the quieter stock one, and without that bottom box I think it's a lot better throttle feel. Still using a generic air filter and still like it.
TrdPnoy
I have a weapon r dragon intake I had 2 choices with this one or an injen one, I picked this on because it was cheaper $99 compared to $235 for an injen at a local performance shop and I read all good reviews about it and saw dynos on it comparing against other brands, so far I'm having no problems

user posted image
jspexae102
Hello everybody i'm new here but I would like to give my .02 about intakes from a engineering prespective.. bare with me

The popular belief is that CAI performs better than SRI is because CAI suck in colder air but infact the difference in IAT are negligible. The advantage of the CAI lies in fluid dynamics. The best intake maximize both air flow velocity (under engine vacumm) and volumetric efficiency (cylinder filling).. that is done using the correct lenghts and cross sectional diameter of piping for a particular engine. For example a tube with a smaller cross sectional area would maximize air flow and volumetric efficency at lower RPMs but would cut out and starve the engine of air at higher RPMs. A larger tube would sacrafice air flow velocity at lower RPMs but maximize volumetric efficency at high RPMs. A longer tube would create a pressure differential meaning faster intake air velocity but you would always run the risk of maxing out the volumetric efficency at higher RPMs.
Companies like AEM understand this and employ different piping diameters in their CAIs, for example the Intergra LS run 2.5", GSR run 2.75" and Type-R runs 3" due to their difference in redline and volumetric efficiency ranges compared to the rev band. Also if you notice their dyno graphs most of their gain lie in the mid RPM range, otherwise the dyno graphs would look like carbon copies of running a much cheaper SRI.

Most of the people who knows me know what a big JDM whore I am.. I guess its the new fad. but back to intake dynamics.. ever notice how just about every CAI manufacturer out there are american companies? AEM, Injen, Weapon R, etc. JDM is all about individual throttle body w/ velocity stacks, weird shaped CF intakes, and ARC induction boxes, I guess they're not as worried about "sucking in warm air from under the hood" as we are (no offense/ not directed to anybody here, I am just trying to put down the popular belief). Have anybody ever seen the weird shaped Carbon Fiber J's racing intake on hondas? believe it or not it's not just pretty looking, it's functional! The weird shape is in fact a taper tube design that tapers in from 3.5" at filter to 2.75" at the TB, volumetric efficiency graphs shows that a smooth taper design generates a better flow velocity than a constant diameter and generates more low and midrange power when compared to a traditional SRI, and since it's not a long tube, it would not max out at high RPM's like traditional CAIs. The Japanese calls these types of tapered intakes Tsuchinoko chambers. Also since the walls are made from composite it does not conduct as much heat as metal walled intake tubes we are all used to seeing, smart huh?

I would go on but I think everyone would be too bored out of their minds by now wink.gif
yyet
Thanks, but that really didn't help me much. I think I might just got with the Short air intake or the K&N filter. Anyone in Oahu wanna help me out?
pandakid
i order my injen intake i'll leave my comment about it. i just have an ebay one and it sucks kindasad.gif
djspike
QUOTE(TrdPnoy @ Feb 16, 2006 - 6:28 AM) [snapback]394806[/snapback]

I have a weapon r dragon intake I had 2 choices with this one or an injen one, I picked this on because it was cheaper $99 compared to $235 for an injen at a local performance shop and I read all good reviews about it and saw dynos on it comparing against other brands, so far I'm having no problems

user posted image

How loud is the weapon R?
TrdPnoy
It's pretty loud
pandakid
i heard weapon r's aren't good
TrdPnoy
Like I said I can't complain even if I got an injen one it wouldn't make a difference.
trdproven
I just ordered my Injen SRI, is it true that it is really loud or only when you stomp on the pedal? What about just regular acceleration?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.